Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

---Jay, Thank you for the heads up. Here are some initial questions for Pete C.

-Who are the officers and Board of Directors of C&P?

-Name the "we" they kept referring to in the Apr 10 meeting that have formulated this. Anyone from G&F?

-Where specifically have their meetings been posted?

-Did they make an effort to obtain and review all the comments from the public written on sites, submitted to G&F, etc during the 2012 HB2072 process?

-I heard in the podcast that they invited many folks and 12 showed up. Did they invite folks who were clearly opposed to HB2072?

-Where will future meetings be posted and how far in advance? Seems the average Joe is just hearing about this today.

-Do they have an email list of folks to broadcast too (many of us refuse to use Facebook, etc)?

-Will they post prominently their books to date so everyone can see who is funding them?

-If they say there are about 100,000 total tags and they want 150-200 that is 2/10 of one percent. Would they be satisfied with 2/10 of one percent of each "class" of tags (ie. sheep, rut elk, antelope, strip deer, etc) and all being raffle tags with a limit on tickets purchased so it is CLEARLY aimed at the regular Joe rather than the wealthy? That would mean 1 sheep tag about every 5 years, etc. How about no tags to this process where the chances of getting one in the regular draw are less than 2%?

-This sounds like a back door way of using a State asset (game tags) for political purposes. Are they on solid legal ground? Who says?

More will probably come to mind when these are clearly answered.

Thanks again Jay,

• Like 2

Thanks Jay, for bringing this to light for all of us that were uninformed. I hope my below questions do not offend because they are not aimed to. i feel like these will be questions ALL of us want answers to

1). ask him to be honest with tag numbers they are talking about. saying they are only asking for 100-150 when AZ issues 150,000 doesn't sound bad but we all know those 100-150 will be PREMIUM tags and 100-150 will turn in to 1000-1500 over the next few years

2). what percentage of tags will go to auction? why auction any tags? putting a "highest bidder" price on an animals head sours both hunters and non-hunters alike

3). why should we trust an organization that tried to back-door us on tags a few years ago?

4). who are the people prepared to write million dollar checks if that passes? what would motivate someone to write a million dollar check on this subject, ONLY if it passes? If they were true conservationists, why would they write big checks when the money is already rolling in from said raffles/auctions?

5). what people are involved with it this time that were involved last time?

6). why are they starting this under a different organization's name that they tried from last time? it is the same people after all.

7). as we've been stating, why not introduce a "stamp" or something similar that goes directly to that cause? a $10-$20 stamp purchased by each licensed hunter would raise more money than what they are proposing anyways

8). will the number of raffle tickets one can purchase be capped?

9). could one person buy multiple tags for the same species?

10). Why should we trust this?

• Like 2

If there are auction tags involved other than the already two per species then no way I'm ever going to be for it. If they truly just want money for helping hunters fight for their rights they will make plenty off raffle tags with a 5 ticket max per person. Once they bring in more auction tags the only ones for it will be the rich guys. And unfortunately for the Joe blow hunter if money is involved you know game and fish will be all for that so it may just get shoved down our throats whether we like it or not. Especially knowing every commissioner but one already agrees with it.

• Like 1

The sportsmen of Arizona are not giving up more tags to rich folks...period! The ADA was all for it last time as well...as were many others. The only one who stood against it was Steve and Az Elk Society. John from ADA came on here and tried to fool everyone like he wasnt for it, then found out he was one of the ones pushing it.

This is no different than last time BC777 dont be fooled. Last time they said the same thing, that there would be raffles so the ordinary folks would still have a chance at these tags. Then find out they were gonna raffle off cow elk tags and all the other crap no one wants and reserve the unit 9,10,23,1 early elk tags for their rich Hamberlain buddies. All the same arguments they will bring up was already tried and found to be BS...and defeated.

Dont be fooled by anyone from any agency or hunting store (Outdoorsmans) stating it is a good thing for Az. It is only good for them and the prominant outfitters who will make more money from there being more out of state rich guys. The regular working class hunter will be screwed big time!!

• Like 3

Just Curious if Anybody knows how much money the G&F contributed to fight the latest HSUS big cat ban?

I would say 0 since they couldnt even comment on the issue. They cant get into politics

Bingo! G&F cannot spend any funds or get politically involved for or against any proposed bill or initiative.

• Like 1

Just Curious if Anybody knows how much money the G&F contributed to fight the latest HSUS big cat ban?

I would say 0 since they couldnt even comment on the issue. They cant get into politics

Bingo! G&F cannot spend any funds or get politically involved for or against any proposed bill or initiative.

That can be changed but theyd rather spend the time and money to push for a tag grab.

Ask him if Don Peay or SFW Utah is involved in any way at all. If he is then we will let the battle begin. That guy is a snake in the grass.

• Like 1

How does azgfd not have a lot of money already for such things as "education" whatever that even means

the "education" term they are throwing around is BS. When people hear education, they think of kids sitting in classrooms and it tugs on their heart strings. what they mean is educating the public on HSUS and other issues

Guys-

I have a follow question and answer session with Pete Cimallero today about last nights meeting in which you can hear on episode 423 of my podcast. I have a bunch of questions to ask him. If you have a specific question that you would like answered please post them here and I will do my best to get all of the questions answered. I will then be posting our conversation in its entirety on my podcast so that we call all try to be informed as possible. I would ask all Sportsman to hear all of the facts and then form and make an informed decision. At the meeting last night, they were adamant that they want this to be completely transparent and open for discussion among Sportsman unlike the last thing similar to this in 2012. I for one understand as Sportsman that we are facing numbers of issues from many people who want to see our heritage of hunting going away. Lets get all of the facts then each individual can make their mind up. I was sick to see Grizzly Bear hunting in BC go away just by it getting on the ballot. I'm afraid we could easily see something similar happen in our near future. There will be additional meetings on this where the public sportsman is encouraged to come. Last night their was only 12 sportsman who showed up. I'm trying to get as much info out to your guys as possible.

Please post your specific questions and I will do my best to get them all answered

Only 12 Sportsmen showed up because we did not know! And I dont think they are truly transparent.

1st I understand the fight against anti's takes Money. But lets be honest 150 tags on a raffle drawing as Pete said out of 100,000 tags doesnt seem much and said it would include cow tags and late elk tags. Thats laughable.

They will not generate the money needed by raffling mediocre tags. Its gonna be all the early elk hunts and strip, kiabab tags.

How do you keep the rich guys from spiking the raffle and buying 50% or better of the tickets? Dan Agnew already did it here in Az years back and he won.

• Like 1

That can be changed but theyd rather spend the time and money to push for a tag grab.

Yeah, if they can get the legislature to change the law against it for every state agency.

what a bunch of BS AGAIN. 12 sportsman showed up, That would be the 12 they wanted and informed of the meeting.

Ask how many paid positions this would create.

How does azgfd not have a lot of money already for such things as "education" whatever that even means

the "education" term they are throwing around is BS. When people hear education, they think of kids sitting in classrooms and it tugs on their heart strings. what they mean is educating the public on HSUS and other issues

page right out of the democrat playbook.

Jay

I would like to know since they are taking credit for winning this last battle if they would show their books on what was spent and how it was spent to defeat the lion ban. I saw plenty of adds for the ban but I don't remember seeing paid ads against them and who paid for them.

• Like 2