Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

Still no one has come up with any other ideas all they want to do is say no! It's like I'm talking to a bunch of Dodge drivers

Thats not true I left an entire list.

Yes I see that. Read my post above

I am not part of asfw so I cant speak to their admin fees. I know anyone can attend their monthly meetings. I would hope that someone from this site could find the time to attend and ask for a reason why the administration fees are what they are. I can tell you the Arizona Deer Association has a very limited overhead. We pay a administrator/ bookkeeper a nominal monthly fee and we incur fees during are banquet but other then that we have very little overhead. At anytime anyone can attend a monthly meeting to any of the local wildlife organizations and ask or propose anything they want. These are volunteers that run these groups I can tell you any of them would welcome new people and new ideas.....the funny thing is conserve and protect has never said this is the only way. They stated they want your ideas. If its better then what they propose make it happen. Absolutely nothing is written if you or anyone else can provide a better idea they will move on it.....and 100% of money raised goes to Fight the fight.....I dont know what that fight is I just know we as sportsman better be prepared as there are several groups out there that are against hunting and they are all well funded...

• Like 1

Flatlander.....Please move forward with your ideas....posting them here is great but does nothing in the long run.....You don’t need an organization to move forward....But if you feel you do please contact all of the and make it happen.....Start making phone calls find out what will and won’t work. Find out what you need to move forward....keep us posted

If this is the biggest threat facing the future of hunting. Maybe the following orgs could donate 1 of their tags back to the cause? How about rotating(yearly) 3 of the existing raffle tags and 3 of the existing auction tags to the cause?

Three tags for each of the following 10 Arizona big game species were allocated: pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, black bear, buffalo, elk, javelina, mountain lion, mule deer, Coues white-tailed deer and turkey. If you are interested in pursuing one of these tags, the following is a list of the organizations selected and how they will be making the tag(s) available to the public:

• Arizona Antelope Foundation (AAF) – Awarded three tags: two pronghorn antelope tags and one bear tag. One antelope and the bear tag are to be auctioned at the AAF banquet (date pending). One antelope tag is to be auctioned at the Arizona Elk Society Banquet in March 2010. Contact: www.azantelope.org .
  • Arizona Bowhunter’s Association (ABA) – Awarded three tags: one each for bear, buffalo and javelina. All tags to be auctioned at the ABA 2010 annual banquet. Contact: www.arizonabowhunters.org.
  • Arizona Big Game Super Raffle (AZBGSR) – Awarded 10 tags, one tag for each species. Raffle tickets sold all year, drawing to be held in summer 2010. Contact: www.arizonabiggamesuperraffle.com.
  • Arizona Deer Association (ADA) – Awarded three tags, one each for mule deer, Coues white-tailed deer, and mountain lion. All tags to be auctioned at the ADA annual fundraiser. Contact: www.azdeer.org.
  • Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society (ADBSS) – Awarded three tags, two bighorn sheep tags and one mountain lion tag. The Mexicana subspecies tag to be auctioned at the Wild Sheep Foundation (formally FNAWS) convention in Reno, Nev. in February 2010, the Rocky Mountain subspecies tag and the mountain lion tag will be auctioned at the ADBSS banquet in March 2010. Contact: www.adbss.org.
  • Arizona Elk Society (AES) – Awarded two tags, one elk tag and one buffalo tag. Both tags to be auctioned at the AES fundraising banquet in March 2010. Contact: www.arizonaelksociety.org.
  • Mule Deer Foundation (MDF) – Awarded three tags, one each for mule deer, Coues white-tailed deer and javelina. Both deer tags to be auctioned at the MDF 2010 National Convention in Salt Lake City, Utah in February 2010. The javelina tag is to be raffled at the Arizona chapter’s fundraiser and banquet (date pending). Contact: www.muledeer.org.
  • National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) – A
    warded two turkey tags. One turkey tag to be auctioned at the NWTF 2010 Annual National Convention in Nashville, Tenn. in February 2010. One turkey tag to be raffled or auctioned by the Arizona Chapter of the NWTF (date pending). Contact: www.nwtf.org.
  • Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) – Awarded one elk tag. Tag to be auctioned at the 26th Anniversary Elk Camp Convention in Reno, NV, March 2010. Contact: www.rmef.org.
  • Like 1

If Pete or someone from C&P would have suggested this they would have been thrown in the fire. All the money that is generated from these tags go directly to the HPC funds, non of the money stays inside the individual organizations. What you are saying is take money from habitat and move it to education.

If this is the biggest threat facing the future of hunting. Maybe the following orgs could donate 1 of their tags back to the cause? How about rotating(yearly) 3 of the existing raffle tags and 3 of the existing auction tags to the cause?

Three tags for each of the following 10 Arizona big game species were allocated: pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, black bear, buffalo, elk, javelina, mountain lion, mule deer, Coues white-tailed deer and turkey. If you are interested in pursuing one of these tags, the following is a list of the organizations selected and how they will be making the tag(s) available to the public:

• Arizona Antelope Foundation (AAF) – Awarded three tags: two pronghorn antelope tags and one bear tag. One antelope and the bear tag are to be auctioned at the AAF banquet (date pending). One antelope tag is to be auctioned at the Arizona Elk Society Banquet in March 2010. Contact: www.azantelope.org .
  • Arizona Bowhunter’s Association (ABA) – Awarded three tags: one each for bear, buffalo and javelina. All tags to be auctioned at the ABA 2010 annual banquet. Contact: www.arizonabowhunters.org.
  • Arizona Big Game Super Raffle (AZBGSR) – Awarded 10 tags, one tag for each species. Raffle tickets sold all year, drawing to be held in summer 2010. Contact: www.arizonabiggamesuperraffle.com.
  • Arizona Deer Association (ADA) – Awarded three tags, one each for mule deer, Coues white-tailed deer, and mountain lion. All tags to be auctioned at the ADA annual fundraiser. Contact: www.azdeer.org.
  • Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society (ADBSS) – Awarded three tags, two bighorn sheep tags and one mountain lion tag. The Mexicana subspecies tag to be auctioned at the Wild Sheep Foundation (formally FNAWS) convention in Reno, Nev. in February 2010, the Rocky Mountain subspecies tag and the mountain lion tag will be auctioned at the ADBSS banquet in March 2010. Contact: www.adbss.org.
  • Arizona Elk Society (AES) – Awarded two tags, one elk tag and one buffalo tag. Both tags to be auctioned at the AES fundraising banquet in March 2010. Contact: www.arizonaelksociety.org.
  • Mule Deer Foundation (MDF) – Awarded three tags, one each for mule deer, Coues white-tailed deer and javelina. Both deer tags to be auctioned at the MDF 2010 National Convention in Salt Lake City, Utah in February 2010. The javelina tag is to be raffled at the Arizona chapter’s fundraiser and banquet (date pending). Contact: www.muledeer.org.
    warded two turkey tags. One turkey tag to be auctioned at the NWTF 2010 Annual National Convention in Nashville, Tenn. in February 2010. One turkey tag to be raffled or auctioned by the Arizona Chapter of the NWTF (date pending). Contact: www.nwtf.org.
  • Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) – Awarded one elk tag. Tag to be auctioned at the 26th Anniversary Elk Camp Convention in Reno, NV, March 2010. Contact: www.rmef.org.

• Like 2

After some quick research AZSFWC or whatever their acronym is. Approximately 72% of money collected in 2016 went to Admin fees. (guidestar.org)

Completely false information. They bring in around $15,000 per month in revenue from license plates. $15,000 x 12 = 180,000

Here is the list of grants they funded in 2017.

Approved in 2017 – $170,665

http://azsfwc.org/license-plate-fund-projects/

This misinformation is bad for all of us....

• Like 3

$20,000 AZ Deer Association Round Valley Grassland Restoration

$29,829 AZ Elk Society Phase II Long Valley Meadow Restoration

$7,262 AZ Chapter NWTF 2018 Marving Robbins Youth Camp

$6,000 Shoot Right Pop-Up 3D Archery Range Equipment

$1,000 AZ Chapter NWTF 2017 Robbins Butte Youth Camp

$2,850 Kahuna’s Kids Mentoring Kids Fishing Derby

$6,110 Desert Christian Archers Archery Equipment

$7,000 AZ Chapter Trout Unlimited Trout in the Classroom 2017-2018 School Year

$5,000 AZ Deer Association Youth Deer & Elk Camp

$1,780 AZ Outdoor Sports Veterans Target Shoot & Pheasant Hunt $

40,000 AZ Chapter NWTF Pinaleno Restoration Habitat Project

$11,373 AZ Shooting Sports Education Foundation – Scholastic Clay Program Competition Vests

$7,262 AZ Chapter NWTF 2017 Marvin Robbins Youth Turkey Hunting Camps

$19,824 AZ Elk Society Long Valley Meadow Restoration Habitat Project

$3,600 Mohave Sportsman Club Fishing for Smiles

$1,775 AZ Chapter Trout Unlimited 8th Annual Native and Wild Trout Conference

• Like 3

Response to Flatlander.....

Here are a few examples:

Gear manufacturers can create a line of products that target raising additional funds dedicated to the cause. The same way that anything in pink raises money for cancer, anything branded this way from any manufacturer contributes dollars to the cause. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

A raffle of gear, services and properties can be used. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

Mexico tags can be raffled/auctioned. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

A dedicated hunter program requiring time/financial support can be established that provides a bonus point. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

Any or all of the existing organizations could contribute a portion of the funds they already raise specifically to the cause of fighting these issues. Already happened/happening but there are IRS restrictions on how much a 501c3 can contribute to this type of stuff..

Protect and conserve could do the exact same things that AES, ABA, ADA, ADBSS, RMEF, SCI, etc already do (raffles, expo, volunteer service, membership) and dedicate the funds to fighting the good fight. They are planning to, they haven't had a fundraiser yet.

Any or all of the aforementioned organizations could hold an event called EFF the HSUS every year and raise money. It could be an expo similar to ISE except it doesnt suck. Add banquets and dinner and it would raise lots and lots of money. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

Hold a bow shoot. Rifle shoot. Pellet gun shoot. Turkey shoot. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

Develop a national hunting and fishing lobby with the participation of national industry, organizations, citizens and partner with wildlife magament organizations. Good Idea, get involved and help make it happen

• Like 2

I am not part of asfw so I cant speak to their admin fees. I know anyone can attend their monthly meetings. I would hope that someone from this site could find the time to attend and ask for a reason why the administration fees are what they are. I can tell you the Arizona Deer Association has a very limited overhead. We pay a administrator/ bookkeeper a nominal monthly fee and we incur fees during are banquet but other then that we have very little overhead. At anytime anyone can attend a monthly meeting to any of the local wildlife organizations and ask or propose anything they want. These are volunteers that run these groups I can tell you any of them would welcome new people and new ideas.....the funny thing is conserve and protect has never said this is the only way. They stated they want your ideas. If its better then what they propose make it happen. Absolutely nothing is written if you or anyone else can provide a better idea they will move on it.....and 100% of money raised goes to Fight the fight.....I dont know what that fight is I just know we as sportsman better be prepared as there are several groups out there that are against hunting and they are all well funded...

you can go to guidestar.org and download their Non profit 990 forms.

Side note. I am not a member of any Hunting organization other than SCI. That does not mean I do not do things that help promote hunting in AZ. Last year alone I took three people hunting that have never hunted. I took a couple of wounded warriors antelope archery antelope hunting and I will always go into the most liberal non hunting place and tell them the benefits of hunting to wildlife and free range meat.

• Like 1

So it's easier and more beneficial to go through the commission/legislative process and get more raffle/auction tags that directly compete with the current habitat tags(greatly diminishing their value), than to try and alter their current use status? Interesting.

If Pete or someone from C&P would have suggested this they would have been thrown in the fire. All the money that is generated from these tags go directly to the HPC funds, non of the money stays inside the individual organizations. What you are saying is take money from habitat and move it to education.

I just did.... Here's the info from 2016 990

Total revenue $169,818

Totals Grants $145,430

Management costs $5,154

Advertising expense $11,435

Get your facts right, facts don't have feelings

• Like 1

Side note. I am not a member of any Hunting organization other than SCI. That does not mean I do not do things that help promote hunting in AZ. Last year alone I took three people hunting that have never hunted. I took a couple of wounded warriors antelope archery antelope hunting and I will always go into the most liberal non hunting place and tell them the benefits of hunting to wildlife and free range meat.

From the SCI 990

Total Revenue $15,837,944

Local Grants $2,793,656

Foreign Grants $194,313

Officers compensation $795,264

Other compensation $3,793,656

They spent more in wages and compensation than they gave in grants.....

Not trying to be a jerk but at least have some facts before we throw stones

• Like 2

So it's easier and more beneficial to go through the commission/legislative process and get more raffle/auction tags that directly compete with the current habitat tags(greatly diminishing their value), than to try and alter their current use status? Interesting.

None of this is easy/easier. I was just pointing out that moving tag revenue from the current auction tags to the proposed education program would be taking it from habitat and moving it to education. I am not sure on the legislative requirements on any of the proposed ideas.

I see that the deer association meeting this Tuesday at bass pro shops is speaking on this topic. Maybe this is posted already, not sure. I would suggest that everyone interested go to the meeting and get the facts. I went to a similar meeting in 2012 and it was informative and well run. I did not agree with the proposal but all in all it was a good opportunity to hear the concept.