Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

I emailed ADBSS saying that if they supported this initiative that I do not agree with then I would not be renewing my membership with their organization. I received email stating that my letter was forwarded to ADBSS board member and I would receive a reply back shortly......never heard back from them. Guess they don't care about losing a single member but maybe when more members start dropping them then they will take notice.

Dirtbag, I would hold off on opposing this plan until all ideas are given a chance to succeed. At this point, several people have spent quite a bit of time coming up with thoughtful solutions, and it appears that auction tags may be coming off the table. To oppose it at this point is opposing some good ideas, such as the license fee increase, and other ideas. And I'm not going to speak for everyone, but think most agree with the public education plan, or at least would agree with it if different avenues of funding are explored. Let's give everyone's ideas a chance to be heard.
  • Like 3

Prior to making a case to the AZGF Commission, it would be appropriate for CAPAZ to post a link on this site, to any proposal for funding education that they intend to present to the commission. A substantial number of committed AZ outdoorsmen peruse this site. CAPAZ purports to represent AZ outdoorsmen, I say, show us your cards.

On another note, I think resistance to some type of funding to educate the general public about hunters, fishermen and AZGF is waning. Long term, I don't think education by us will overcome the baloney spouted by our own local media, social media, public education, etc. Still, education of the urbanite masses is likely our best shot at preserving the north American model.

I've got a few ideas that have rattled about in the void.

#1 - Exempt wildlife management in AZ from the ballot initiative process. Difficult but possible through legislation. To me, this is the ultimate goal. Even if this became a reality, we still ought to educate the public about the north American model and all the work critter groups do in partnership with AZGF.

#2 - Assess all licenses (hunt & fish) 3$ to go to a habitat fund. Money would be allocated via HPC as it is currently done. Allocate current auction tags and big game super raffle funds for education. Critter groups would still conduct the auctions, raffles, etc. but the money would go to education rather than habitat. How the education fund would be spent is the next question, Don't know how to effectively do that as I don't have a marketing degree.

As far as I can tell the group of people want more tags-- tags mean they get a better chance to hunt the best of what Arizona has to offer in trophy class animals !!

Most( rich folks + others) don't like the fact that here in Arizona the majority of normal hunts- tags per species- the Limit per species in ONE per yr. With 90% + of tags being a random open draw! Which means they ultimately don't get a chance to hunt!

the more of these premium tags they can get means open season yr. round no limit! which is means they can hunt where and whenever they want-- money is not a problem to these type of hunters. -- in a lot of other states - a lot of tags go to high bidders.

the majority of joe hunters in Arizona are opposed to these type of changes.

these same people failed to push legislation thru - with a legislator in their pocket a paid lobbist and a bill that wanted the basic same tags they want now.

last time - according to the facts-- we needed a new expo- funds to go to G&F. it was easy to see in the wording they wanted much more! we were lied to and they tried to sneak it by us !!

this time its the same ole they want tags - but hope to seek approval for funds to fight for education thru different so called methods but same results ! They get more tags and the money goes to G&F.

we've heard nothing from these people but the same old song and dance - the Koolaid has changed color but poured from the same pitcher.

Don't be surprised if nothing changes with their meetings and information and their agenda , and what they report or present it to G&F.

TAGS TAGS TAGS period no other way - no other idea will get them what the want !

HUNTING YEAR ROUND ANY AND ALL SPECIES

As far as I can tell the group of people want more tags-- tags mean they get a better chance to hunt the best of what Arizona has to offer in trophy class animals !!

Most( rich folks + others) don't like the fact that here in Arizona the majority of normal hunts- tags per species- the Limit per species in ONE per yr. With 90% + of tags being a random open draw! Which means they ultimately don't get a chance to hunt!

the more of these premium tags they can get means open season yr. round no limit! which is means they can hunt where and whenever they want-- money is not a problem to these type of hunters. -- in a lot of other states - a lot of tags go to high bidders.

the majority of joe hunters in Arizona are opposed to these type of changes.

these same people failed to push legislation thru - with a legislator in their pocket a paid lobbist and a bill that wanted the basic same tags they want now.

last time - according to the facts-- we needed a new expo- funds to go to G&F. it was easy to see in the wording they wanted much more! we were lied to and they tried to sneak it by us !!

this time its the same ole they want tags - but hope to seek approval for funds to fight for education thru different so called methods but same results ! They get more tags and the money goes to G&F.

we've heard nothing from these people but the same old song and dance - the Koolaid has changed color but poured from the same pitcher.

Don't be surprised if nothing changes with their meetings and information and their agenda , and what they report or present it to G&F.

TAGS TAGS TAGS period no other way - no other idea will get them what the want !

HUNTING YEAR ROUND ANY AND ALL SPECIES

Funny I didn't get that feeling from the panel on Monday at all.

• Like 2

Prior to making a case to the AZGF Commission, it would be appropriate for CAPAZ to post a link on this site, to any proposal for funding education that they intend to present to the commission. A substantial number of committed AZ outdoorsmen peruse this site. CAPAZ purports to represent AZ outdoorsmen, I say, show us your cards.

On another note, I think resistance to some type of funding to educate the general public about hunters, fishermen and AZGF is waning. Long term, I don't think education by us will overcome the baloney spouted by our own local media, social media, public education, etc. Still, education of the urbanite masses is likely our best shot at preserving the north American model.

I've got a few ideas that have rattled about in the void.

#1 - Exempt wildlife management in AZ from the ballot initiative process. Difficult but possible through legislation. To me, this is the ultimate goal. Even if this became a reality, we still ought to educate the public about the north American model and all the work critter groups do in partnership with AZGF.

#2 - Assess all licenses (hunt & fish) 3$ to go to a habitat fund. Money would be allocated via HPC as it is currently done. Allocate current auction tags and big game super raffle funds for education. Critter groups would still conduct the auctions, raffles, etc. but the money would go to education rather than habitat. How the education fund would be spent is the next question, Don't know how to effectively do that as I don't have a marketing degree.

Totally agree with #1. Lets try to make that happen. Contact your legislator and I will mine. The problem with #2, and I do think an increase is coming, is that thwy are like all burocrats. They will tell you the money is going to one thing and then a year or 2 later they need a new truck fleet and you know the boats are old. The biggest problem is the retirement. This is going to be an issue for years to come if we cant get the wildlife to only be managed by G&F. Good idea. I would encourage you to sign up for the e-mail on capaz. Stay involved please.

My full expectation for Monday's meeting was to get shot down and destroyed by the commission and in turn I would have used their responses to turn the 'mob' into a rebellion. With one very notable exception they would at least consider the ideas proposed.

Either way, I eagerly look forward to the May 4th meeting. And Either way I will be prepared for their next move.

• Like 3

Wasn't Kurt Davis a commissioner during the last tag grab attempt?

He was a brand new Commissioner beginning in January 2012 so was on the Commission during the HB2072 tag grab. If memory serves, after the huge outcry against that attempt, the Commission voted not to support HB2072.