Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Who's the oldest hunter you know?

My dad is probably the oldest hunter I know at 69. My dad and Uncle killed elk this year, both 5 points on the same day. Thankfully our help was still with us to help quarter and pack out. I have been hunting with my son and hunting buddies kids for quite a few years and we always talk about how much fun it is to hunt with the kids and see them fill their tags but I think I was more excited when my dad and uncle had a successful hunt, perhaps because it could very well be their last elk hunt.

post-3081-1229398507_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1229398611_thumb.jpg

Here's my Dad, this year. He's been hunting the same valley in the Allegany mountains (southern NY) I think for 47 years. He's 70 now. I haven't been back for deer season for 7 years. I need to make it next year. A few years ago he started complaining about how heavy his rifle was. I bought him the titanium Remington 700 in the picture ay Don's. I made him cough up his 1962 Winchester Model 70 before I gave it to him. I scoped the model 70 this year, bought the cheapest ammo at sportsmans and the first three rounds out of it grouped 5/8" at 100 yards. I'll bet that rifle's killed 100 deer.

post-1044-1230413997_thumb.jpg

My Grandfather, 85 yrs in Az. He was born in Phx in 1923, used to hunt doves where Phx College is, won what some would call a scope by taking the biggest deer around New River in the late 30's, as an Eagle Scout he lion hunted the Mazatals on week long pack trips. Flew p-47's "over the hump" in Burma, at 75 whent out quail hunting with 15 shells, came back with 2 shells and 15 birds, and taught me the greatest call ever known to man. He still hunts quail and deer, but likes to use a quad like most 25 yr olds. And he looks at me funny when I break out the 15x binos. He is awesome!

The oldest person i know that hunts is 60 years young.

Several years we had the pleasure and honor of hunting "Uncle" John Brigham from Bullhead City on his cow elk hunt in unit 7W. Uncle John was 90 years-old at the time of the hunt.

He was a real trooper on that hunt, but unfortunately he didn't fill the tag, though we saw a lot of critters.

Uncle John also fishes by himself in an aluminum boat at Lake Mohave.

Heck of a guy.

That's the oldest hunter I know of.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

This thread was started in 2008, and three years later, all the guys I listed earlier are three years older and still hunting, including Whitey DeVries. He'll be 93 in a month or so, and I expect he will shoot three more Texas Hill Country whitetails in October, just as he has done every year for the past 25 years.

Incidentally, I'll be 75 in a couple of months and, if all goes well, I plan to shoot another elk in the August hunt I just drew and a few more deer before someone pats me in the face with a shovel.

Bill Quimby

My Dad is 85 in this picture from our 2009 Elk Hunt. Hopefully we will get drawn this year and I can post a picture when he is 87.

post-5669-0-01461600-1361120124_thumb.jpg

This great man is my dad, he took this coues two seasons ago at 311 yrds with a cross wind. He was 74 at the time and he still goes dove and quail with me. I think I can get him out deer hunting one more time.

post-5396-0-56405800-1329365208_thumb.jpg

Just returned from the Texas Hill Country where a friend, his son, my son-in-law, and I took seventeen whitetails in six days of hunting. The limit was five deer each. We easily could have used all twenty tags but we grew tired of skinning, butchering and wrapping meat and called it quits.

Our ages? 50, 53, 70 and 76 (me).

Even at my age, there still are a few more deer and elk hunts left in me. All I need is to draw the tags.

Bill quimby

Just returned from the Texas Hill Country where a friend, his son, my son-in-law, and I took seventeen whitetails in six days of hunting. The limit was five deer each. We easily could have used all twenty tags but we grew tired of skinning, butchering and wrapping meat and called it quits.

Our ages? 50, 53, 70 and 76 (me).

Even at my age, there still are a few more deer and elk hunts left in me. All I need is to draw the tags.

Bill quimby

Way to go Bill! What kind of hunting was it? spot and stalk or sitting blinds?

"Way to go Bill! What kind of hunting was it? spot and stalk or sitting blinds?"

The cover was too thick and the terrain too flat for spot and stalk. It was more like sneak or sit. Shots were from 25 to 250 yards.

Our rancher friend had placed five or six ground blinds in various places on his 2,000-acre ranch, and we killed most of our deer from them. Two of my deer were killed while I sat on a folding chair I carried to a likely-looking opening.

Bill Quimby

Had the opportunity to help a gentleman on the CHAMP hunt this year. He was 83 and made an awesome shot on a great bull. An my brother had a hunter just yesterday that shot a 350 bull at 74 yards with his bow an he's 75 yrs old. What studs.