Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Who's the oldest hunter you know?

they have all these youth hunts, why don't they have a geezer hunt? i'm gettin' close to geezer myself, so i'm all for it. somebody call the azgfd. Lark.

Lark:

I hope you mean a hunting season in which geezers are allowed to participate, otherwise I'm going into hiding if they open a season on us.

I'd be all for allowing those of us with pioneer licenses to hunt deer, elk and javelinas in special seasons, especially if we were allowed to legally hunt from a vehicle (but not shoot from it). Lots of geezers like me don't qualify for a CHAMP license because, according to the way the regs are written, there is nothing wrong with our legs. We just can't walk more than 100-150 yards without stopping to rest, and it's frustrating as heck!

Bill Quimby

My Dad is the oldest I know of that is still hunting big game at 69.He keeps saying that he is going to give it up.But he took his biggest bow kill elk this year so maybe if he can beat the draw odds he can shoot another.He still enjoys shooting his bow year round for entertainment.

Noel

My wifes grandfather was 87 years old when we went hunting in Nevada. He hunted all his life... had stories that would split your sides, was shooting long range with a powerful riflescope on a 300 Weatherby in the early 60's, killed his last buck at 89 and I miss the old bastard to this day. It was a privilege to of known and hunted with this man. D.D.

That would be my dad. 69. Finally got drawn for antelope this year. Muzzleloader at that. He made the best of it taking a nice buck with my brother & I looking on and cheering.

I met a guy last year in Springerville while hunting antelope. His name is Gordon Philips if I remember right and he was somewhere around 80 years of age. Finally got his first antelope tag. We sat and talked for dang near an hour, and its amazing the stories the older folks can have. Reminded me a lot of my grandfather, and was just so intrigued on outlook on life. I'm not sure if he ever filled his tag, he didn't even know if he would be able to shoot. We both think antelope are the most beautiful animals. His wife was sick and in the hospital in Show Low and she told him to go hunting because he had waited so long for this tag, I sure hope they both are doing well.

-Jeremy-

no, i didn't mean to shoot geezers. you gettin' senile on us? i mean they have hunts that only kids can apply for. why not have hunts that only old guys can apply for? have a minimum age, like 70 or so and a minimum length of time you have to be an Az. resident. even if it's just a few tags. maybe let a couple early bull tags, some kaibab deer tags, a few goat tags. not a big bunch, but something to reward folks for gettin' old. my dad has never had a pronghorn or sheep tag. he gave up on sheep awhile back, but still applies for goats. took him 17 or 18 years to get his last elk tag. there is a photo of the 6x6 he shot on this thread. just something to think about. Lark.

• Like 1

I would be all for it. It would be another hunt i could go on. I love taking my grandpa out, He has a pic too in this thread with his bull. It took him a long time to draw and elk tag. I like taking him out.

Lark:

I'm not getting senile. I just smell that way. The way to reward us old farts for surviving so long in this state is to require Pioneer licenses for special seasons and allow us to hunt (not shoot) from vehicles.

There aren't enough antelope tags for everyone to hunt them, so I say let the young guys have 'em. Give us Pioneer hunts for deer and elk and I'll be happy.

Bill Quimby

The oldest hunter I know would be my grandfather. He is 91 and was hunting before there was a game and fish department. He is one of those rare people that had to hunt for food and not for sport. He will be hunting this year in his home state of New Mexico this year.

Go get em Pa!!

Mr. Fenton, we call him grand pa Fenton, hunted until he was 88 years young. He went to be with The Lord a few years back at the age of 93. His hunting partner Ed was a few years younger, but even with artificial hips Ed would still try to kick muleys to each other. They use to kill some hawgs back in the 40's & 50's. I loved sitting around and listening to Erney tell stories about hunting big bucks, and about God. He knew a ton about ballistics and even reloaded us a bunch of ammo before he went to heaven.

The most impressive thing i saw was hunting 36c last year on the early Whitetail hunt. Im not sure if any of the group i ran into post or get on CWT but i decided to backpack the hunt and hiked an old closed road. Ran into a group of three guys almost at the top of the baboquivaris, they had ranch permission to drive up the road but were still a good solid 200-300 yrds from the road in not very nice walkin country. The guy with the tag was 80+/- a few years, just had his second Knee replacement i believe and was out there with em huntin. I was impressed to say the least.

i know of a lot of old guys that hunt(buddies grandpa's, friends, etc.) but the oldest man i hunt with is my dad. he's only 52. its neet how when i was young he would teach me everything i know and show me where to hunt, wait for me when were hiking out, and i am showing him new spots, teaching him more that learn, and wait fr him to catch his breath. i just hope when even his age i can hike in places where he still hikes into.

i know of a lot of old guys that hunt(buddies grandpa's, friends, etc.) but the oldest man i hunt with is my dad. he's only 52. its neet how when i was young he would teach me everything i know and show me where to hunt, wait for me when were hiking out, and i am showing him new spots, teaching him more that learn, and wait fr him to catch his breath. i just hope when even his age i can hike in places where he still hikes into.

Heck, your dad is just a pup. My daughter is 52!

Bill Quimby