12 replies to this topic

#1 grey curse

grey curse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Any thing outdoors with family and friends
Headed up to units 1/27 next weekend with my two boys. Ive never spent a lot of time chasing turkeys but I excited for the two of them on their first turkey hunt. Just wanting to see if anyone is out this weekend and how noisy the forest is. Thanks. Ill probably put this thread to the top a few times during the week. Like I said Im just a little excited.

The Coues Deer Curse is one that can not be shaken.  Once you have it you can't get rid of it, you might as well accept it your addicted

#2 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
I am hearing high winds have made it rough.

#3 photofool

photofool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife Photography-----Predator calling

After these winds if you are going anywhere in unit 27, you better take a chain saw

#4 tomgobbler

tomgobbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, taxidermy, rodeo, trail riding
They are not going very good but a week can make a big difference. 2 Saturday’s ago had some birds going decent , called in 5 gobblers together . No hens around - this weekend wind was terrible- saw hens by them selves - saw a few groups of hens with gobblers - & saw 10 gobblers together w no hens ( all long beards ) no gobbling at all .... saw 50 hens in a group w NO gobblers .... these are still “winter” groups ....so to me after spending a couple weekends chasing them - they are barely starting w a few gobblers starting to get with hens - & should get better & better each day as things turn on . Just my 2 cents ....

#5 654321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

After these winds if you are going anywhere in unit 27, you better take a chain saw

I heard unit 1 had a ton of trees down, real hard to get around

#6 grey curse

grey curse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Any thing outdoors with family and friends
Just looked at underground weather for alpine, Monday Tuesday and Thursday show in the high twenties for wind. Should be interesting for that weekend than. Thx for the posts. Keep them coming.

The Coues Deer Curse is one that can not be shaken.  Once you have it you can't get rid of it, you might as well accept it your addicted

#7 AZLance

AZLance

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Interests:Hunting & Baseball
Current closure area...

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20180415-160406_Gallery.jpg

#8 naturebob

naturebob

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Sounds are overated if U know where birds live. Have patience and sit all day. Killed My first bird that way while My buddy went wandering around. My bird came in silent with 2 hens. My buddy heard the shot and came back. I said I told Ya so. 25 years ago..........Good luck to all.....BOB!

#9 naturebob

naturebob

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

OH! and that was 5 pm............BOB!

#10 TRKHNTR

TRKHNTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Hard to hear them in the wind you could hear them pretty good Sunday.  Turkey make turkey noises year round that's how they communicate.

ndołkah

#11 PRDATR

PRDATR

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Just looked at underground weather for alpine, Monday Tuesday and Thursday show in the high twenties for wind. Should be interesting for that weekend than. Thx for the posts. Keep them coming.

While maybe not ideal the wind in the forest close to the ground will be less. I wouldn't let it get you down, birds will still be out and about you just won't be able to hear gobbles much past 150 yards.

All over Az in the big red truck

#12 redhammer911

redhammer911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Did the youth hunt in New Mexico two weeks ago and it was bad not talking at all. Buddy was up there again last week for another hunt and just as bad and few friends in Unit 1 are saying same tough right now still all flocked up together and not talking. Plus with the fire and winds not looking good for the kids bummer...

#13 Non-Typical Solutions

Non-Typical Solutions

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Current closure area...

Closed because of fire??? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users