Sign in to follow this  
grey curse

Are the birds talking for the youth hunt

Headed up to units 1/27 next weekend with my two boys. Ive never spent a lot of time chasing turkeys but I excited for the two of them on their first turkey hunt. Just wanting to see if anyone is out this weekend and how noisy the forest is. Thanks. Ill probably put this thread to the top a few times during the week. Like I said Im just a little excited.

After these winds if you are going anywhere in unit 27, you better take a chain saw

• Like 2

They are not going very good but a week can make a big difference. 2 Saturday’s ago had some birds going decent , called in 5 gobblers together . No hens around - this weekend wind was terrible- saw hens by them selves - saw a few groups of hens with gobblers - & saw 10 gobblers together w no hens ( all long beards ) no gobbling at all .... saw 50 hens in a group w NO gobblers .... these are still “winter” groups ....so to me after spending a couple weekends chasing them - they are barely starting w a few gobblers starting to get with hens - & should get better & better each day as things turn on . Just my 2 cents ....

After these winds if you are going anywhere in unit 27, you better take a chain saw

I heard unit 1 had a ton of trees down, real hard to get around

• Like 1

Just looked at underground weather for alpine, Monday Tuesday and Thursday show in the high twenties for wind. Should be interesting for that weekend than. Thx for the posts. Keep them coming.

Sounds are overated if U know where birds live. Have patience and sit all day. Killed My first bird that way while My buddy went wandering around. My bird came in silent with 2 hens. My buddy heard the shot and came back. I said I told Ya so. 25 years ago..........Good luck to all.....BOB!

Hard to hear them in the wind you could hear them pretty good Sunday. Turkey make turkey noises year round that's how they communicate.

Just looked at underground weather for alpine, Monday Tuesday and Thursday show in the high twenties for wind. Should be interesting for that weekend than. Thx for the posts. Keep them coming.

While maybe not ideal the wind in the forest close to the ground will be less. I wouldn't let it get you down, birds will still be out and about you just won't be able to hear gobbles much past 150 yards.

Did the youth hunt in New Mexico two weeks ago and it was bad not talking at all. Buddy was up there again last week for another hunt and just as bad and few friends in Unit 1 are saying same tough right now still all flocked up together and not talking. Plus with the fire and winds not looking good for the kids bummer...

Late update but here you go. Took the boys out from Saturday till Tuesday on the youth hunt. First day out ran across so birds watering at one of the few tanks with water. Tried to get infront of them and cut them off but no luck. The eight vanished sometime during out execution of our plan. Next two days were super slow, no talking, no watering (at least not at that same tank) and no sight of birds. On Monday night, our last night little man(Cody) said we needed smores because they were lucky. I lmao and said as straight faced as I could no go buddy fire restrictions. He shrugged his shoulders and said bummer but okay. Being the superstitious person I am, I decided smores dont have to be made on an open fire. So the two boys my dad and I enjoyed smorez Over the oven top in the trailer. Hey better then nothing, right? The next and last morning we drive out early in the morning to get a single gobble up a creek bottom. Excited we gab the gun and head that way. Cody spots the bird way out in front crossing the creek. Under cover we move fast towards him and set I to calll. He comes In On a string gets about 60 yrs from us and starts his strut dance. He put on a great show but would not come back across the creek with range for the 20 gauge. After a minute or so Cody starts moving to get a better view but the Tom got all the view he needed a high feathered it out of there. So Cody and I high fives excited that we came so close and called one in on our last morning. As we were walking back to the truck I hear another gobble way off In the distance I think to myself no its just a woodpecker and keep walking. After a few steps I hear it again, tell Cody we got another one interested and get set up behind a downed tree and we start calling. This bird traveles a long ways down a ridge along the road ( right passed the truck) then crosses the road to come within 8yrds as Cody drop the hammer on him. Super day wish we could have doubled it up but well take it. Turns out little man was right smore Are lucky

post-12026-0-05897400-1526763516_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7