Sign in to follow this  
metau

Salt Water Rigs

So I'd like to do some trips out of San Diego this year, and set up for some trips out of Mexico next year. I've picked up a pair of old Penn Senator reels (a 4/0 and a 6/0 which I plan on rebuilding) with old matching rods, but I would like to get things set up properly for whatever type of fishing I may get myself into. Considering most of my trips from SD would be limited to long weekends, I don't think I'd take more than a 3 day trip. With that in mind, and from what research I have done so far, it seems like I need 4 rigs to fish with at the points of 30#, 40#, 60# and 80# set-ups. It seems like most fishing is done with live bait, but that there is also jigs, spoons, irons and poppers, plus a few others I am sure. What set-ups are worth investing in two speed reels? I am sure there is a difference between jigging, trolling and casting rods; which should I be using? Just trying to budget out my summer expenses and get things ordered now before they go on backorder.

Thanks,

Jerry

I do a little more salt water fishing than the average guy on this website and you already exceeded my pay grade. I would suggest you do some research on bloody decks. I am guessing this question has been asked numerous times on there before and salty old fisherman get a little tired of answering the same questions. Good luck. Hopefully fishing this year out of SO CAL is as good as it was last year. Tight lines!

Bloody Decks is a great So Cal fishing site that would give you more than enough info on the subject. Us Sea of Cortez fisherman have a different fishery and our reels are typically set up differently than the charter boas out of So Cal. There a bit of a fun but hard core group over on BD.

My last few trips to SD I just used my big bass rod and an old Abu Garcia reel and had a blast.

Those don't match up that great vs a 100lb bluefin

This is my biggest concern. I joined over at BD, but have just started navigating those waters. Been looking at the recommended tackle on all the websites for the various charter groups. Everything I've come across has talked about cheap reels getting burned up, getting spooled on to small of a set up, etc. While I know I could rent the gear, this is not something that I plan on doing only once. Too much newfound freedom and income now that my divorce is finalized.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

New "found" $$$ and Freedom??? Get yourself down to Belize for some fine stalking the endless lonely flats for bonefish with your 6-8wt fly rods, like hunting and fishing combined...

(Turneffe Atoll)

post-1378-0-23939600-1523962763_thumb.jpg

New "found" $$$ and Freedom??? Get yourself down to Belize for some fine stalking the endless lonely flats for bonefish with your 6-8wt fly rods, like hunting and fishing combined...

(Turneffe Atoll)

Those are baitfish

• Like 2

My last few trips to SD I just used my big bass rod and an old Abu Garcia reel and had a blast.

now that my divorce is finalized.

nice.

depending on your price range i would look at penn fathom reels for the price.

nice.

I agree but the big fish on our trips was 22 lbs.

nice.

I agree but the big fish on our trips was 22 lbs.

That would be intense on bass tackle

• Like 1