Sign in to follow this  
metau

Salt Water Rigs

I make it out to San Diego a couple of times a year for the 1.5 day trips (two nights on the boat). I have invested in several setups from 15 to 50 lbs. I too started with older style Penn reels but have since upgraded. The Penns are cheap but really handicap you on the water. If you are planning 3+ day trips you will want your heavier setups to be two speed reels with strong drags. I am not saying you can't get it done with lesser setups, but it may take you two hours to reel in a fish while everyone else catches 5 in that same time frame. When the bite is hot, you want to capitalized as it doesn't always last very long. I suggest you go see the guys at Phoenix Fishing Supply. They are great at helping you figure out what you need and they are more than fair on their pricing. Good luck! Offshore fishing is blast!

THIS EXACTLY!!!

I still use and love my Shimano Baitrunner 12000D. It works great but one morning I learned a tough lesson. And that is, when you get spooled and your reel didn't even slow the fish down, you need to have a heavier backup ready and close by.. It SUCKS knowing that there are fantastic fish right below the boat and you can do nothing but watch others try to land them. Since then, I always have a TLD25 rig ready to go.. I only go a time or two per year so can't justify or afford the expensive stuff but the next time those good Bluefin turn up, I'll have a better shot at landing them.

As others have said, a pair of old Penn Senators will end up frustrating you if you wanna go offshore for a few days. Get at least three rigs and practice your knots...a lot. I like Avet reels and Calstar rods, but you won't go wrong with Shimano or a USA made modern Penn. If you are in PHX Phoenix Fishing Supply is legit. If you make it to San Diego before or after a trip go to Squidco in Point Loma. Watching Craigslist is a good idea, I got my first salt water set up that I still fish today for a trade on there. Be careful of the dudes that want top dollar for the high-end equipment they bought in 1999 and never fished again...

lol

New Lo-An Big Bluefin Tuna Wrap-up california_1a-01.gif Sun Apr 22 2018, 03:28PM by Poseidon
newloanbig.pngWe returned this morning after a 9 mile drift yesterday. All of our fish were more than 40 pounds and we had a standout 160 pounder. LOTS of opportunity and casualties with this type of fishing. Please come ready with all types of gear from 25 to 80 pound at least. Baitcaster and spinning reels a negative!
bluefin234.png
Light load tonight. Come on out.
Call 619-223-1627 for information and reservations or CLICK HERE for a schedule and you can book right online.
31170742_1832947240090850_3854422192527731120814_1832947300090844_5969876143392631096664_1832947573424150_89732248221840

The new 2-speed Penn Fathom's are great. We charter out of Seaforth Landing and Seward every year and now prefer those over the Shimano Tiagra's and Talica's. The Shimano's are excellent reels for big fish but require tune-ups regularly to keep them in good working condition. Good luck! .....

post-3911-0-96177600-1524491565.jpg

post-3911-0-85788400-1524491579_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The new 2-speed Penn Fathom's are great. We charter out of Seaforth Landing and Seward every year and now prefer those over the Shimano Tiagra's and Talica's. The Shimano's are excellent reels for big fish but require tune-ups regularly to keep them in good working condition. Good luck! .....

what month and how long of trip were you on when you caught those tunas

3 days on the Outer Limits first week of sept. ending up with 20 bluefins total....

Fish you can tie up for a picture, must be nice! I usually just Thumbtack Mine :] great catch! 👍

I've been looking more at the Penn Fathom's this week and seems everyone gives them raving reviews. Lots of features for the price point. Does make me curious as to where they cut costs at to produce such a reel. Has anyone heard any negative feedback on them?