Snapshot

YETI drops NRA

This came to me from YETI directly as a YETI dealer.

"A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment."

I hope this helps clear up some of the misinformation being circulated.

• Like 2

I’m no YETI fan because for I prefer to buy American made products. I will also gladly pay a premium for products that are made in the USA. YETI charges a premium price but not all their coolers are made here so I’ve never bought one. (Some of their coolers are made here but you have to really drill down into the details to find them.) Maybe my decision not to buy YETI coolers puts me at the vanguard of this movement. :)

But I don’t see YETI’s decision to stop giving away free coolers to be auctioned or raffled off by the NRA Foundation as “taking sides.” It’s just deciding to be neutral. If not, by logical extension, every company that doesn’t give free stuff to or donate to the NRA Foundation should be boycotted. (Also, the open letter from the NRA lobbyist seemed kind of whiney. But I’m sure they’ll put this to good use in their next appeal for donations.)

Every day we “vote with our dollars” so if you want to boycott YETI because of their perceived political leanings, go for it, but you must have been seriously considering buying one for your decision not to buy one to be meaningful. Otherwise you’re like me, simply not buying something that you were never going to buy in the first place. Also, boycotting takes a lot of time to research the views or actions of the corporation and vigilance to keep up to date on those views and actions. I also don’t think boycotts effect corporate behavior as much as we think. But boycotts can make us feel better so there’s that.

I’ll end by giving a plug to Canyon Coolers. The Outfitter 22 cooler I just bought was assembled in Thailand but they use some American parts. It’s rotomolded with a good seal (which are the two most important qualities of a good cooler). They are also an Arizona company and, here’s the deciding factor, a Coueswhitetail.com sponsor!

• Like 1

Misinformation, or damage control statements from YETI? Curious timing, in light of all the other companies distancing themselves from the NRA.

post-1241-0-45560100-1524527435_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yeti backpedaling as fast as they can. Took a whole day to come out with that lame PR resecue statement.

Yeti can kiss my butt

• Like 1

Who has the money to buy a YETI anyway........no loss here....

Come on 50% off clearance sale!!!!!!!!!LOL

Just buy an RTIC and save that plus more everyday.

• Like 1

"A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment."

They also posted this to their Facebook page. The problem I have with it is timing. This happened the same time that many other companies are caving to pressure dropping the NRA? Maybe it is spin and backtracking once the poop hit the fan, maybe it is true. I don't know, but it is suspicious. Regardless, these days you can get equal if not better products for much less. Who still buys Yeti?

• Like 2

lol, i ain't buyin' it.

The NRA is as good at propaganda as anyone. You would think with YETI's statement the NRA could put out the actual statement from YETI telling them they will not do business with them and not just a post from someone in the NRA.

• Like 2