Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

PSA-Kinetic Bullet Pullers

I have used kinetic bullet pullers (the plastic hammer types where you put a loaded cartridge onto it, tighten down a collet to capture the case rim, and smack the holy heck out of it to use the bullet's own weight to dislodge it from the case.) I have pulled apart thousands of rounds this way. Along with collet pullers as well.

20180428_100700_zpsyh2w3zfu.jpg

I have used kinetic pullers during loading of the bullet seated just a bit too deeply (.005") so I coukd reseat it correctly to meet proper CBTO.

I used an RCBS kinetic puller so much, it eventually shattered one day. Pieces flew everywhere. So I bought a new Lyman. I have pulled apart hundreds of rounds with the new Lyman. If used correctly, you can save most bullets without meplat or tip deformation. So they can be used again. Collet pullers sometimes damage the bullet, and they will need to be thrown out.

Well, today, I had something happen I have never experienced before.

I was loading for a 28 Nosler using 195 Bergers. I finished loading all the rounds for one rifle. Prepping to start the final loads for a second 28 Nosler. With different CBTOs between the 2, I reset the seating die. Well, I was off by .005", due to bullet lot BTO differences between the two different boxes of 195 Bergers, barely too deep. So the first round I put together (primed, and charged), was supposed to be 3.021" CBTO. After seating the bullet, I measured the CBTO. 3.016". Probably .005" seating depth change would not even show. But I don't do things that way.

"I will just use the kinetic puller, bump it out a bit, reset the seating die, and reset it to 3.021" CBTO."

Put the round in the puller, tightened down the lock nut on the back, walked to the bathroom which has tile floors. One swift rap should do it.....

First rap.....BANG!!!

I nearly $hit myself.

Primer went off, and blew out of the pocket.

20180428_100656_zpsp8sihxve.jpg

20180428_100703_zpsz02hfpg6.jpg

Luckily, it did not ignite the powder since there was no pressure built without a chamber or bolt face behind it. I did check, and a few kernels of powder did come.out of the flash hole when I tapped it on my palm.

Then, I remembered hearing something fall in the bathroom right after it went off, so I went to find the primer.....

Found it....

20180428_101415_zpsoxsn41oc.jpg

20180428_101324_zps8la4ofxl.jpg

20180428_101328_zpsyklecbvc.jpg

Might have been the anvil I heard fall, but the cup is definitely stuck in the ceiling. I am really glad my wife was not home when this happened. I would not hear the end of it.

So, make sure you wear safety glasses when using your kinetic bullet puller. A primer cup to the eye would be really bad. I am not sure of I will using a kinetic puller ever again.

Whoa!!! Glad your ok! Thats scary, I use that type of puller and now will have this story in the back of my mind every time I pick it up!

Wow that is super scary! I use the one from extreme outer limits, but it damages every bullet and you have to grip it like a big dog. Definitely not as easy as they show on YouTube.

So....Are you guys continuing to use that style of puller. Personally, you couldn't pay me to own another one.

Wow that is super scary! I use the one from extreme outer limits, but it damages every bullet and you have to grip it like a big dog. Definitely not as easy as they show on YouTube.

Put a cotton ball in the bottom so the bullet doesn't hit the plastic and get deformed. Lance PM me you address and I send you a box of Depends for the next time you do this.

I've used the ones from RCBS and Dillon. Knock on wood I've never had a mishap. Lance next time hit it on an anvil or on concrete. Always wear safety glasses. Glad it worked out ok, a little toothpaste will hide that indention in the ceiling.

• Like 1

This is the one I use, if you have bitch hands this one is not for you. I am not kidding when I say you have to grip it like a big dog!

post-13407-0-40200900-1525031679.png

This is the one I use, if you have bitch hands this one is not for you. I am not kidding when I say you have to grip it like a big dog!

I have the same one.

Only issue with this one is the bullets are no good after using it.

• Like 1

Recently, there was a thread about this on another forum, and it appears that it is not an extremely rare incident. A collet puller, used correctly, will not damage pulled bullets any more often than the impact pullers.

Having made one visit to the walk-in clinic to have a primer cut out of my hand, I will stick with my RCBS collet puller. YMMV.

I had a buddy who had this happen. The primer went into his cheek. Didn't end up being serious but was only an inch from his eye. It could have been bad. Since that I do this outside and keep all body parts clear of potential primer trajectory.

• Like 1

Glad that primer didnt hit you in the eye. I cant stand those kenetic bullet pullers. I have a Hornady cam-Lock bullet puller and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-050095-Lock-Bullet-Puller/dp/B000PCZZO4

I also use a kinetic puller and need to get one of these. RCBS also makes on that seems to get very positive reviews.

Been there, done that. Glad to hear you're okay. I managed to shoot out the lightbulb over my loading bench. You hear a loud pop, it gets darker and you take a shower of hot glass. Really leaves the mental gears grinding for a bit trying to figure out what just happened. I started treating the back end of those things like a loaded gun after that.