Sign in to follow this  
reece_mess16

What am I doing with a late archery tag?

Drew 4B late archery. Am I doomed to sitting water for a few days? I've hunted elk up north before in November/December know how spooky they are. Read the late archery forum up and down but does anyone have any experience with this hunt?

Helped elkhunter1 on this hunt a couple years ago...tough hunt and he ate tag soup. Saw 2 bulls while I was with him despite seeing more while scouting and on trail cam. Water isn’t a bad idea if you can find fresh sign on one of the many tanks.

• Like 1

Friend of mines 1st hunt ever was a late muzzy cow tag for this unit years ago. same thing he never hunted big game never owned a muzzy and never stepped foot in that unit.

he scouted his butt off when he could get off work 1st 2 days of the hunt he didnt see crap(sat at many water holes) and only heard one shot.

we talked a bit on the phone I told him to start walking on top of any hills he see. he saw bulls (of coarse cause he had a cow tag) and finally saw a cow then more cows just before dusk.

he call me up said he needed help packing it out from the bottom of a canyon.

he was on the south part of the unit.

they are there just got to find them dont think bad about it just start looking every chance you get.if you start off worrying you might as well stay home cause it will mess up your game. go out have a good time and put as much effort into it you can. people killed them every year same unit same hunts why cant that be you?

me personally I cant sit at a water hole or anywhere for that long(more than a hour), I like to walk the hills and canyons

• Like 2

Ive never hunted it but Ive tried to get drawn for it the last two draws. I picked up a left over late archery bull tag and I am stoked!

Your elk hunting!! Make the most of it & have fun doing it. If you didn't want to hunt the late archery you shouldn't have put in for it! My dad has a late archery in unit 8

he sucks with a bow, but he is going to practice all summer & give it his best shot a tagging a bull. Elk hunting is elk hunting know matter what tag it is its still fun being

out chasing bulls!!

• Like 2

Im excited about the hunt, dont get me wrong. I just not sure how to go about doing this. But you guys have given me some great advice and serious motivation! Thanks guys!

• Like 3

My cousin lives next to Chevlon canyon , he sees elk everyday living off the grid as mountain man .All be seeing him this weekend , all see what he knows

Pattern bulls moving from feeding to bedding areas and intercept them with a blind or tree stands. If stalking try and come from above them.

Not sure if this will help, but I've had 2 late archery tags. First one snowed a foot the day before the hunt and ruined any plans I had..I ended up not seeing an elk for 3 days but then when I found them, I was able to stay in elk pretty consistently for the next 7 days. Never being able to close within 80ish except for one surprise encounter. Water was everywhere, but I did try and sit water a few hunts over what looked like well used water holes, but no love. All remained in canyons and I couldn't get in front of one in those canyons and they had no reason to travel. 2nd hunt was complete opposite in a different unit.. warm weather and I thought oh boy I got this... no love on tanks and all bulls were in even bigger canyons with flowing water and same result. I decided to retire Nov/Dec archery elk hunts after that. However, that dry year, my son shot a 340 bull the week after the archery hunt at 60 yards with a rifle in the unit I had the previous year in the spot where I was planning on hunting before the foot of snow (Year before was covered by snow and teens, that year was Sept weather).. so I'm thinking it's possible if you get the right weather in a unit you know well. That is my .02. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Well, you wont be sitting on the couch. A bad day hunting is better than a good day watching football.

• Like 3

I've had two late archery bull tags ,I filled one,had a great time on both hunts,good luck and just have fun.

• Like 2

I had the late 4B tag years back. I do not ever intend to apply for a late hunt again. I would rather take my chances getting skunked trying to draw a September tag. I personally enjoy the September hunts much more. If I really want a challenge I would pick up a limited opportunity OTC tag. However, as others have pointed out you have a tag and are going hunting. Head in to it knowing it is going to be a tough hunt and make the best of it.

I have spent lots of time in 4B. If you are not real familiar with the unit and would like some input I will PM you my number.

I have killed a 7x8 bedded bull at 31 yards and a 5x6 bull on a trail at 7 feet during late rifle hunts. I have also killed 2 cows at under 50 yards during late hunts. I have passed numerous bulls over the years within average bow range during late rifle hunts.

While helping friends during late rifle hunts we have bulls less than 50 yards about once a week without trying to sneak any closer on other bulls we could get up close and personal on. They have all killed bulls within bow range over the years.

Almost all our close encounters have happened on trails that time of year. It is easier sneaking up on a bedded bull if you can pinpoint the exact location than any deer so that would be my focus during the middle of the day.

If not picky and you pattern some elk you should have a good hunt despite what many will say.

• Like 1