AZHNTR67

UNIT 10 RIFLE

After 30 years I finally drew unit 10 - looking to kill a BOONER! lot of guys say the lack of rain is going to make it so there are no booners - Are these guys just jealous they didn't draw the tag or will there really not be any BOONERS?

The grimmetts say that dry years produce bigger antelope because it puts them on different feed that is higher protein

• Like 3

Thank you. Eli guided my bro on a booner in unit 10 a few years back.

A rancher in New Mexico told us that. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and watched where the antelope congregated on dry years vs wet years. There are other theories that I talked about with David E. Brown awhile back. He thought that their horns possibly grew longer in the hotter areas to help dissipate heat.

The bottom line seemed to be that maybe they can grow larger in dry and hot years. Ultimately, I think if you ran a regression the average variation from a dry year to a wet year wouldn't be much - maybe an inch or so of growth.

Meyer's world record was killed on the driest year ever in AZ. Gallo's 99-2/8 SCI buck was killed on one of the driest years ever in NM. More than anything the dry and hot years just seem to hurt the fawn survival rate.

To answer your question - the number of "Booner" antelope should be close enough to normal that you won't notice a difference unless you scout every year and have something to compare it to.

Hey Eli!

Good to hear from you and thanks for the info. Hoping to have a good hunt!!

You said "Booner" too many times for me to take you seriously. Do you even know how big a "Booner" antelope is?

I believe BOONER min is 80. Eli and my bro killed an 86 1/8 so hoping to get something around that. When you wait 30 years to kill you may as well hold out for a BOONER!!

The all time B&C is 82. I think 80 gets annual recognition. Kind of like 110 is all time B&c coues deer but you can get it listed if theyre 100.