Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Late Youth Hunts

Folks - I am looking for a little bit of advise, any and all suggestions are welcome as I am just trying to find a good way to get my 10 year old out on a big game hunt this year.

Recently my oldest son, who turns 10 in August, was diagnosed with a severe hip condition that will require two surgeries 6 moths apart. Because there are very few doctors in the country who do this surgery, they book up months in advance and his first surgery isn't scheduled until September 21. He will be non-weight bearing (crutches) for 8 weeks, and an overall recovery of 6 months, then we start over again with the other side.

So now, a fall that for him was going to be all about his first hunts and new adventures is about surgery, hospitals and physical therapy. To give him some bright spots to look forward to, I am trying to find him a hunt that he can do after he is at least able to get off the crutches. He still probably won't be able to hike much, so this really needs to be road-huntable. I am working on getting him a CHAMP permit or seeing if he qualifies for donated tags, but I am not sure he will qualify for either of those.

So that leaves us with the very latest youth tags which start at the end of November or December hunts. Getting drawn will be a challenge as he has only his Hunter Education point. I have loyalty and HE point, his mom has about 5 pts, grandma has a couple as well. So no one is making the bonus pass for a December hunt.

Anyone have any experience with the later junior hunts? Are any of these something that could yield good opportunities in a road hunting scenario? What about the December whitetail hunts, I am most familiar with Northern units and I would not say that any of them are 10-yr-old-post-surgery friendly. Are there any down south that have milder terrain?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long explanation, I know there is way too much information here.

Andrew, I'll call you later today with some info.

22 mule deer isn't a youth hunt , but not hard to draw, and I can hook you up with some easy access spots.

• Like 2

Look at the youth Kiabab doe hunts. I have never been on one, but have been told that it is about as road hunt friendly as you can get.

• Like 5

36a whitetail

+1

Or the 36A/B Jr. hunt, which is an 'any antlered deer' tag. Plenty of road hunting opportunities in 36A & 36B where you could come across either a whitetail or a muley on that hunt.

S.

• Like 2

36a whitetail

+1

Or the 36A/B Jr. hunt, which is an 'any antlered deer' tag. Plenty of road hunting opportunities in 36A & 36B where you could come across either a whitetail or a muley on that hunt.

S.

that would really be sweet.

Look at the youth Kiabab doe hunts. I have never been on one, but have been told that it is about a road hunt friendly as you can get.

This is true. Its hard NOT to road hunt this hunt - youll regularly see does just driving to the area you want to hunt. Its beautiful, unique and fairly remote country to boot. I cant imagine a more satisfying hunt for a 10 year old with limited mobility.

• Like 1

36a whitetail

+1

S.

that would really be sweet.
Unfortunately that hunt is in October so he will probably still be in the hospital. We could try for the late hunt there.

The late Kaibab doe hunt might be an option, but the first one is too early for him to have recovered.

Try the 36A or 36 B youth Nov 23- 29th. If you go that route hit me up. There is plenty of road hunting possible with that limited amount of tags. Ill point you in some areas not to far off the pavement too

• Like 2

You are right, the 36A and B hunts are late Nov. That could be a real good option.

You are right, the 36A and B hunts are late Nov. That could be a real good option.

Let me know if you end-up with the 36A/B Jr. hunt! I've helped & mentored many times down there (both my own kids and others....). The crew that runs the Jr. camp down there are a great bunch of dudes.

• Like 2

Plenty of opportunity is those units, even from the road. 33 would be an option too, lots of roads and a good # of animals. Both units should have the last hunt in nov. that last 2 weekends. Hit me up, I would love to help out.

can't pm you for some reason but you can text me at 5202754733 for some slam dunk to draw later hunts that I usually see lots of small bucks right from the truck. It's a secret spot though so you can't tell anybody haha