Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Bad Neighbor

I have a long history with my neighbor. He's inconsiderate, condescending, takes up the whole cul de sac with his vehicles and equipment, and even extended his driveway onto my property one weekend when I was out of town.

The real kicker was last summer. He likes to store his garbage cans up against the side of my house (using the aforementioned driveway expansion). One day I see smoke coming from that side, so I walk over and his garbage can is fully engulfed in flames. It was already half melted. I can't get a hose to that side of my house, so I run over and knock on his door--he doesn't answer. I knock louder and start yelling--still nothing. I run over and get his hose and start dousing the fire. Once I get the flames down a bit I am able to pull the can away from my house. If my house were not made of stucco I would have lost it. The eaves were singed, but thankfully didn't light up.

The guy finally comes out of his house. He heard his water on and wanted to know who was on his property "messing" with his hose. He saw what had happened, claimed that he had never put anything in his trash that would cause a fire (insinuating that either my kids or I had done it), swore up and down that my house was never in danger, and never once apologized.

I'm just waiting for him to die. I figure he's got maybe 15 years of mobility left, at most.

Sounds like in your case a big fence would make a better neighbor.

I have a long history with my neighbor. He's inconsiderate, condescending, takes up the whole cul de sac with his vehicles and equipment, and even extended his driveway onto my property one weekend when I was out of town.

The real kicker was last summer. He likes to store his garbage cans up against the side of my house (using the aforementioned driveway expansion). One day I see smoke coming from that side, so I walk over and his garbage can is fully engulfed in flames. It was already half melted. I can't get a hose to that side of my house, so I run over and knock on his door--he doesn't answer. I knock louder and start yelling--still nothing. I run over and get his hose and start dousing the fire. Once I get the flames down a bit I am able to pull the can away from my house. If my house were not made of stucco I would have lost it. The eaves were singed, but thankfully didn't light up.

The guy finally comes out of his house. He heard his water on and wanted to know who was on his property "messing" with his hose. He saw what had happened, claimed that he had never put anything in his trash that would cause a fire (insinuating that either my kids or I had done it), swore up and down that my house was never in danger, and never once apologized.

I'm just waiting for him to die. I figure he's got maybe 15 years of mobility left, at most.

Sounds like in your case a big fence would make a better neighbor.

+1!! Also it seems like a quick survey of property boundaries could/would fix the driveway encroachment.

Some of these stories are crazy. Guess I've been really lucky with neighbors. Occurs to me that simple decency and mutual respect is the key ingredient to good neighbors. ;)

Bad neighbors never die, and never go away. Common courtesy, and mutual respect, towards those that live in close proximity, are not qualities they possess. Some people are oblivious to anything outside of their little bubble.

• Like 1

Actually, 3 of my neighbors have died in the last couple years. 2 health related, and 1 suicide. But they were good neighbors that didn't bother anybody.