Sign in to follow this  
joe hunter

How many non res elk points ?

Shane throws a 3c hashtag on every dam post he makes.

Yeah, but nobody cares what Shane says.

Anyone know what it took this year for sure to draw a unit 1 or 3c early non res archery elk tag ? I have 15 points for 2019 and I would like to draw one of those units next year and get out of the points game and just stick to hunting my home state of NM . I was thinking about unit 27 but a well respected outfitter told me since the fire 27 is a mess ????? with all the blow downs ???? He advised me to just keep putting in for 1 and 3c until I draw.

Zero nr drew with 15 in the unit 1 early archery 2018 Bonus Pass

9 of 20 drew with 16

4 of 5 drew with 17

and 1 with 19 drew

for 3a:

0 of 9 drew with 16

6 of 8 with 17 drew

You'll be ridin' the pine for a bit yet.

Thanks WB. Dang I might have to change my way of thinking, by the time I reach 16 -18 points it will take 19 - 21 points. Any one want to buy some elk points ?

• Like 1

Thanks WB. Dang I might have to change my way of thinking, by the time I reach 16 -18 points it will take 19 - 21 points. Any one want to buy some elk points ?

Youre sitting in a great spot. There are tons of good elk hunts you can go on with 15 points. If you look at tag numbers 1 and 3c have done nothing but go up, and some other units in the area have been on a steady decline in tag numbers. It doesnt take long for them to flip flop which one is better. Look into any of the 4 or 5 units and youd have a guaranteed rut archery tag or if you can glass, hike, and shoot decently at Long range then look into 23 late rifle. They kill some REALLY BIG bulls in that hunt but you gotta work a little more for them.

• Like 1

I hunt both 27 and 1 pretty regularly. I'd wait for a unit 1 tag myself.. That being said, if you are wanting to hunt elk with a bow in 2019, I would agree with WapitiBob and get a 27 tag

Unit 27 has had a significantly higher than average quality bulls harvested since the 2011 Wallow Fire talking about just that specific unit. The big difference I believe is the late gun hunt producing 350-400 class bulls, whereas prior to the fire, a 340+ class bull in the late gun hunt was something really exceptional. Better sighting with long distance cross canyon shooting is the reason. A greater percentage of unclaimed dead bulls is also another negative consequence of the long distance shooting. IMHO the unit is in significant decline considering horn quality due to what has been harvested the last few years, particularly in the late gun hunt. But there will always be a few exceptional bulls due to the rough terrain that separates the men from the boys.