Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

2018, Desert sheep unit

Blake is right about the 24BS Wilderness vs 24BS. At max points, you might think about trying to grab a different unit that all the other max point holders wont be putting in for.

I don't care what everyone else is putting in for, just what I am putting in for.

When I drew my antelope tag I applied for one choice and drew tag #1.

I am open to 22 or 24B, not really thinking there are 180 class sheep in any other units right now.

IMO I think there is several units that can produce a 180 ram besides just 22 & 24 units.

37A, 28. I think quality of ram is very dependent upon time invested especially for DIY hunters. To often people only hunt couple days then get discouraged with lack of sightings and then kill first decent ram they find.

• Like 2

is there any way to tell how many of the max point holders have already killed a desert sheep, i'm 1 point off max and killed my desert sheep, just wondering how long it might be before i draw for rocky

Second hand info but 18 is what I heard the other day...

i had 18 last year, didnt get drawn.

180 Ram, 200 Muley, 400 bull, 90 antelope, 110 coues

Typically the guys stating this as their goals havent hunted enough to appreciate what they are saying and often dont know the difference between something exceptional and something above average.

Good luck dude, hope it works out for you.

• Like 3

If you know you're applying for 22 and 24b why are we even having this conversation? I asked a legitimate question as to how old you are and how long you think you can still hit the mtns. If you're 75 about to die then best be applying for a lesser quality unit. If you're 50 and in good shape and have another 20 years in you then stick with 22 and 24b and you'll draw it eventually even if it takes 10 years. But if all 60 or whatever people with max are going for 3 tags in 2 units you're in for a long wait.

I still have 20 good years of hitting the hills left.

I asked because maybe somebody knows something and disease, die-off etc. There are 4 different hunts in those 2 units as well. There are folks who know a lot more about sheep than I do. I have only been on a few sheep hunts myself. All were for nelsoni rams, however.

180 Ram, 200 Muley, 400 bull, 90 antelope, 110 coues

Typically the guys stating this as their goals havent hunted enough to appreciate what they are saying and often dont know the difference between something exceptional and something above average.

Good luck dude, hope it works out for you.

I never set the 180 as my goal, I want to hunt a unit that has that potential. Who wouldn't?

• Like 1

Blake is right about the 24BS Wilderness vs 24BS. At max points, you might think about trying to grab a different unit that all the other max point holders wont be putting in for.

I don't care what everyone else is putting in for, just what I am putting in for.

I am open to 22 or 24B, not really thinking there are 180 class sheep in any other units right now.

IMO I think there is several units that can produce a 180 ram besides just 22 & 24 units.

37A, 28. I think quality of ram is very dependent upon time invested especially for DIY hunters. To often people only hunt couple days then get discouraged with lack of sightings and then kill first decent ram they find.

I completely disagree. 22 and 24b are the ONLY units with big rams!😀

• Like 1

I completely disagree. 22 and 24b are the ONLY units with big rams!

I guess that depends on what you call a big ram. For me any ram that scores above B&C minimum is a big ram. Last year unit 28 produced a 186 ram and 37A produced a 183 ram. Both of these rams are well above BC minimum.
  • Like 1

I completely disagree. 22 and 24b are the ONLY units with big rams!
I guess that depends on what you call a big ram. For me any ram that scores above B&C minimum is a big ram. Last year unit 28 produced a 186 ram and 37A produced a 183 ram. Both of these rams are well above BC minimum.

Just sayin I think ALL max bp holders should only apply for 22 and 24b. They are the best! 😜👌😉👍

• Like 1

is there any way to tell how many of the max point holders have already killed a desert sheep, i'm 1 point off max and killed my desert sheep, just wondering how long it might be before i draw for rocky

Second hand info but 18 is what I heard the other day...

i had 18 last year, didnt get drawn.

Short bus...18 people have max points and have already killed a desert sheep

18...that's depressing...

To answer an earlier question, I think the reason they separated the wilderness area from the rest of unit 24B is because those that drew 24B always hunted the easier country. Since nobody was ever hunting the wilderness, they put a tag in there to offer the extra opportunity and force someone to hunt in an area that was underutilized. It only makes sense.

For those that don't know, a 168 ram is Boone and Crockett for desert sheep. So, according to B&C, a 168 desert sheep is the equivalent to a 190 typical mule deer, 375 typical elk or a 110 typical Coues. A ram scoring 175 is a huge animal by comparison, we just get a little spoiled living in a state that produces a few 180 inch rams each year.

• Like 2

18 of 62 that makes you 1 of 44. You guys should all get together and map out a draw strategy that gets you all in sooner than later. If everyone wants one of three tags then you only have roughly 14 more years tops to draw. (I think there are only 62 max point holders left) I didn't look.