CouesPursuit

San Diego Trip Tips

We will be headed out tomorrow morning at 5:30 to see how the Bluefin and Yellowtail react in calm weather. It’s been a windy spring but we have a nice weather window and it looks like 6-8 knots tomorrow. We have 10 people booked so far and it’s a definite go. Please call H&M at 619-222-1144. No passport required. Grab a few rigs and come on out. We’d recommend a 160 gram Shimano Flat Fall on a 60-100 pound rig and a 40-50 pound rig to flyline a sardine on a 2/0 or 3/0 circle hook with a short piece of fluorocarbon. Also might be handy to bring a 20-30 pound outfit for flyline on kelps for yellowtail. See you in the morning! #hmlanding #grandesportfishing#sportfishing #bluefintuna

33152703_10156603375893028_1636688126699

• Like 1

Thanks PRDATR. Heading out on the Producer, no passport required.

Did a 1.5 trip on the Producer two weeks ago. While we only put 8 yellowtail on the deck, the crew was busting butt and they were working hard to find the fish. My buddy had never gone before and couldn't get time off during prime season so we went early knowing we may well get skunked. He landed two and won the big fish jackpot. Needless to say, he's HOOKED!

Good luck on your trip.

• Like 1

I'm taking a 1.5 day out of H&M Landing in late June and this will be my first time offshore out of San Diego. I was wondering about a few things, and would welcome any other tips as well.

Gear - I will be renting a rod, but do I bring my own tackle ahead of time or is the recommended tackle available on the boat for purchase? Is anything other than bait supplied? Any must haves? Do I have any business bringing a 8' swimbait rod for casting surface baits?

Food/Drinks - Obviously you can't bring a cooler, but how frowned upon is bringing a sandwich in your bag or a couple healthy snacks?

Fish Cleaning and Tips - Is there an additional charge for fish cleaning or is it paid with a tip? Most of us will tip as served, but for a couple of our guys on a budget, what is a suitable minimum for tipping after a 1.5 day with cleaning? $30-50?

I assume having a couple empty coolers in the vehicle for taking fish home is suitable. Any other tips there?

Thanks for any insight.

Just a few thoughts on this:

Know that late June is still not quite into the prime bite. If you can move the trip back a few months, you are more likely to hit a wide open bite. But it's fishing and one good kelp patty can produce a limit for the boat.

For gear, bring what you have and maybe rent a rod too. They usually supply hooks but just buy some at the pier before you go. I would absolutely recommend you get some fluorocarbon for leaders. 25-50lb just to be safe. If the fish are being really picky, you need every advantage. An iron bait is not a bad thing to have standing by. If you have one ready to go, toss it out on the slide if a trolling rod gets bit. Then switch to live bait. (Or stay with the iron) Two years ago, I caught the only tuna on the boat with iron.

When your boat is loading up on live bait, drop that swimbait and fish the bottom and you have a very good chance of landing a quick halibut.

They don't want you bringing any food or drink or board. Having said that, they do not check your bags. I have always found the food they serve on the trips to be very good to excellent.

Tipping is what it is. Whatever you feel comfortable with but 50 seems to be more average and far above minimum.

They will ask you if you want them to fillet the fish for you. If yes, it's an extra fee. For me, in AZ, the last thing I want to do when it's 115 is deal with a lot of stinky fish bodies. Prices will depend on size but I think 5.00/fish will get you done.

Cooler capacity depends on if you are bring back fillets or whole fish. If you bring any high end coolers, lock them down or even better, put them inside your vehicle.

If you get seasick or aren't sure, try to get a bunk that's on the inside, low and in the back. I think bunk #5 on the Producer is one of those.

Get ready to have a blast!

Know that late June is still not quite into the prime bite. If you can move the trip back a few months, you are more likely to hit a wide open bite. But it's fishing and one good kelp patty can produce a limit for the boat.

For gear, bring what you have and maybe rent a rod too. They usually supply hooks but just buy some at the pier before you go. I would absolutely recommend you get some fluorocarbon for leaders. 25-50lb just to be safe. If the fish are being really picky, you need every advantage. An iron bait is not a bad thing to have standing by. If you have one ready to go, toss it out on the slide if a trolling rod gets bit. Then switch to live bait. (Or stay with the iron) Two years ago, I caught the only tuna on the boat with iron.

When your boat is loading up on live bait, drop that swimbait and fish the bottom and you have a very good chance of landing a quick halibut.

They don't want you bringing any food or drink or board. Having said that, they do not check your bags. I have always found the food they serve on the trips to be very good to excellent.

Tipping is what it is. Whatever you feel comfortable with but 50 seems to be more average and far above minimum.

They will ask you if you want them to fillet the fish for you. If yes, it's an extra fee. For me, in AZ, the last thing I want to do when it's 115 is deal with a lot of stinky fish bodies. Prices will depend on size but I think 5.00/fish will get you done.

Cooler capacity depends on if you are bring back fillets or whole fish. If you bring any high end coolers, lock them down or even better, put them inside your vehicle.

If you get seasick or aren't sure, try to get a bunk that's on the inside, low and in the back. I think bunk #5 on the Producer is one of those.

Get ready to have a blast!

Thanks for the excellent tips! I will definitely put them to use.

I would like to and will try to go again later in the year, but my wife and I's first is due in August. Squeezing in a few trips before life changes for the best.

We should put the wall on the Colorado and need passports to get back into US from Kali.

• Like 1

Well this is my my advice. I catch 90% of my fish on 20# and live bait or 40# and a jig. Most everything else is just for fun. Though normally I will have 5-7 rods when I get on a boat (mostly 3-8 day trips)

Get a few 1/4 oz rubber core weights and some #1/0-#3/0 ringed hooks for live bait fishing. Get 2 of the jigs they suggest in the pro shop.

Get seasickness medicine. You will have to go get the scopalomine patch from a Doc. Well worth the money. Put some snacks in your pack. I've never had a boat complain but I haven't brought a cooler with meals on the boat either.......actually I did but that was a private charter. Honestly I don't know why but the vast majority of the boat food I have had is very good to great. I did a trip on the intrepid this past summer and it was crazy the spreads they would throw down. Absolutely crazy. Sushi, duck, ribeye, everything. On your trip expect a breakfast burrito, burger for lunch and a solid dinner. You will be fine.

I wear the brown rubber boats when I fish. you could get away with something different but you will want to have the ability to get dry at some point in the day.....plan accordingly.

It will be cold and windy (90% of the time) so plan for it. I usually wear something on top that is waterproof on some level. remember you will be grabbing baits out of a sloshing bait tank and you WILL get wet.

There are two keys to getting bit while fishing on these boats. #1. Getting a great bait. If you can't catch it then you need that bait. The harder they are to catch the better chance you have of getting bit. #2. Get the bait away from the boat. So, recap.......Get a great bait away from the boat. Doesn't have to be the first off the boat. Just the best bait off of the boat.

Tip.......well I normally tip better than most. I also try to be super nice to the crew. They will really appreciate it and will go the extra mile for you then. I would expect to throw them $60 on top of fish cleaning and galley bill for a 1.5 day trip.

So here is another tid bit. Walk up to the deck hands and tell them that you have no clue and this is your first trip and you would like to learn. They will be happy to help you out. If they can get you up to speed fast it will cause them less problems later. Every trip has new guys and honestly the new guys can make or break the trip. If the boat can get them fishing good and at least make it so they are on the correct side of the boat not causing tangles then that will really help. Honestly I still ask questions and I've probably got 200+ days on these boats. The crew has a ton of very current info and you should listen to them.

2 last things. Keep the wind in your face and if you aren't walking towards the bow then you are part of the problem. It is called the tuna shuffle. You need to always be walking towards the bow (unless you are anchored)

• Like 4

Wow guys all great stuff thank you!

I suck with bait casting rod! Anytime i have gone without spinner we have hit topwater bite with bonita or yellows, bass etc.. 😡 be prepared for everytbing

We should put the wall on the Colorado and need passports to get back into US from Kali.

Best post i have seen in long long time!

post-2359-0-65435600-1530219855_thumb.jpg

Reporting back - 1 fish was caught on the boat by a regular right next to me, a 30lb foul-hooked BFT on bait. 6 BFT total were reportedly caught out of San Diego. Lots of surfacing BFT, porpoise, sharks, sea lions and an ocean sunfish were observed. The experienced gained was worth the cost but I wouldn't put a deposit down on a trip like this again. In the future, I'll set aside the time to go and have another destination ready if the reports don't justify the cost. It didn't take long to realize there is quite a bit of fibbing that goes on by the captain and crew, they want you to catch but they are there for themselves. They had extra crew on board that always seemed to be fishing next to me. I look forward to a trip later in the year on a different boat.

• Like 1

favorite rides are the First String and Grande, the Condor and the new Prowler group seem above board. good luck next time-early season can be frustrating even to type about. yellowfin in the mix now so things should start heating up. don't forget that coronados' yellowtail are a 90 minute ride, fish all day and only 90 minutes home. far more interesting than the offshore hunt.

lee

• Like 2

favorite rides are the First String and Grande, the Condor and the new Prowler group seem above board. good luck next time-early season can be frustrating even to type about. yellowfin in the mix now so things should start heating up. don't forget that coronados' yellowtail are a 90 minute ride, fish all day and only 90 minutes home. far more interesting than the offshore hunt.

lee

I think I am going to go this weekend. Wanted to take my son but he doesn't have a passport. Probably drive over saturday, fish sunday and drive back.

Reporting back - 1 fish was caught on the boat by a regular right next to me, a 30lb foul-hooked BFT on bait. 6 BFT total were reportedly caught out of San Diego. Lots of surfacing BFT, porpoise, sharks, sea lions and an ocean sunfish were observed. The experienced gained was worth the cost but I wouldn't put a deposit down on a trip like this again. In the future, I'll set aside the time to go and have another destination ready if the reports don't justify the cost. It didn't take long to realize there is quite a bit of fibbing that goes on by the captain and crew, they want you to catch but they are there for themselves. They had extra crew on board that always seemed to be fishing next to me. I look forward to a trip later in the year on a different boat.

I hate it when the cook or mates fish too.

• Like 1

Over the 4th of July I went on the Top Gun. I watched the crew fishing all the time. Even the captain. Now a good crew will hook and hand to a person that isn't catching many fish. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen. To many to count. Word to the wise. If you see the crew fishing......fish next to them and see how they are fishing. They understand how to catch fish. Also..........You might end up with a bent rod handed off to you!!!!!!! Also seen the crew give fish to the galley for dinners, lunches, ect. Let the crew fish. It will benefit you.