Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

Wyoming deadline.

Well I got Wyo tag done for deer just now. What a rip, but allready into it for 9 bonus points at $40 each so can't stop now . Deadline isend of May.For special daw with habitat tag is $718 ,that means I have over $1,000 in the deer tag. I only have elk left for next year.$50 for that point ,so I will have 10 at 50 bucks each allready got $500 into it. Plus next year pay for tag. I'm done with bout of Stat e points games. Good luck to all. Its an expensive Hobby anymore..........BOB!

• Like 1

That is why I love NM. Either I draw or I don't and I don't have to have 10 years worth of points to go hunting.

• Like 2

Yup ,I will be 62 in Sept. I am done buying points. Its a rip any way. Next year I will do Wyoming Elk with 10 points $500 worth. And hope to kill a 300" Elk. The tag will cost between 500 and 800. Total rip off .Viva AZ. Suppourt Elk Soc.We got it good here believe it or not........BOB! rt o

• Like 1

Headed to wyo hopefully this fall as well-- chasing deer and antelope in lower point units while banking points in higher potential states like AZ, CO, UT--- hopefully WYO can be a deer/lope hunt every 3rd year

• Like 1

I didnt get drawn for elk in WY but AZ blessed me with an early archery elk tag, so I am gonna just build my points in WY this year. Maybe next year, need to burn these points for antelope in Wyoming.

• Like 2

Good deal Guys. My deer tag is close to 100% in the special draw with 9. Any one have ideas for next year on Elk ? I will have 10 and no idea where to go.Any help would be good.Thanks BOB!!!!!

Put in for Region C general deer for both my dad and I, put in for area 73 type 1 antelope for me (buck tag), put in for area 73 type 6 for both my dad and I (2 antelope doe each). Tags were just under $1,400. Fricken expensive. I just need to move to Wyoming.

My buddy that lives there gets no less than 8-10 big game tags per year for himself and spends less than $400 for all of them.

There is no doubt that non-resident tags cost more than resident tags. That's just part of the deal when you decide to hunt out of state. The cost is definitely higher, but the quality of the hunting is usually higher as well. I personally have no problem paying the higher prices for either points or tags, because with going out of state I'm guaranteed to go on quality hunts every year. Unlike Az, where you may have to wait 5-10 years between quality tags. I want to go on Amazing hunts every year. The only way I can do that is to continue buying points and paying for non-resident tags. The benefits in my opinion definitely out weigh the cost!!!!

• Like 2

There is no doubt that non-resident tags cost more than resident tags. That's just part of the deal when you decide to hunt out of state. The cost is definitely higher, but the quality of the hunting is usually higher as well. I personally have no problem paying the higher prices for either points or tags, because with going out of state I'm guaranteed to go on quality hunts every year. Unlike Az, where you may have to wait 5-10 years between quality tags. I want to go on Amazing hunts every year. The only way I can do that is to continue buying points and paying for non-resident tags. The benefits in my opinion definitely out weigh the cost!!!!

I'm going to buy another point for wy antelope this year and that will put me at 11, but there are plenty of quality hunts in this state on easy to draw tags or leftover tags for that matter IMO.

Big Brown an average guy can't do Wyo. its costly I have over $1000 into my deer hunt and Elk too. I did Ant. 3 years ago thank God and Quality is an issue. If You just want to hunt then its ok.Most Hunters are not Doctors, Lawyers or CPA's......BOB!

Edited by naturebob

To finish, like I said I have 500 dollers in Elk points and 2 behind max ,so I will never get a premium hunt there. Plus tag cost travel,and motel or campingand missed work its $3000 hunt unguided in a non trophy unit. Just saying. If Your rich no problem. 75% of the Guys on here could not do it......BOB!

• Like 1

To finish, like I said I have 500 dollers in Elk points and 2 behind max ,so I will never get a premium hunt there. Plus tag cost travel,and motel or campingand missed work its $3000 hunt unguided in a non trophy unit. Just saying. If Your rich no problem. 75% of the Guys on here could not do it......BOB!

It's definitely disheartening, especially for someone late to the game. I'm 34 and have only starting building points across the west about 4 years ago. BC of the non-res changes in AZ I can swing for the fences each year as the points build up. The real question is do I try to hold out for the outside chance or just draw a mid-tier hunt every few years across the states I'm applying in. Which in reality is still going to be an amazing hunt compared to my options now that Ive left active duty and put down roots in TX.

Like you said- the mandatory annual licenses and cost of points does really stack up. This is the first year I'm tracking cost in every state for every point, fee, license.

Hope WYO treats us all well this fall!!!

BOB, I have to respectfully disagree with you in regards to the cost of out of state hunts. Yes in some cases the hunts cost significantly more, but in a lot of cases the cost is negligible when you compare the cost of scouting in state hunts. For example: If I draw an Arizona unit 10 Antelope hunt I guarantee I will scout as often as possible. I will probably scout a minimum of 5-10 trips. Scouting trips are not cheap! On average I would guess a scouting trip with gas, food and possibly a hotel can cost $150-$300 per trip. Times that by 5-10 and you have spent $500-$1000 on scouting trips alone.

My Wyoming Antelope trip this year has already cost me $500 for 1 buck tag and 2 doe tags. That $500 is less than I would have spent to scout any instate hunt. The food, gas and hotel fee's are the same there as they would be here. The only additional cost is my gas there and back and my travel food. Therefore my out of state Antelope hunt will probably cost me less than a typical high end Arizona hunt. Yes, the Antelope tag is about $500 less than an Elk tag. Therefore an out of state Elk hunt could cost me about $500 more than an in state hunt.

Obviously these are estimated guesses, but I'm sure my numbers are not far off. I may not scout as much for some hunts as I do others, but either way the difference in the cost far out weighs the quality of the out of state hunts. If I asked 100 people if they would be willing to spend $500 extra on their tag to be guaranteed a quality tag and have a high success chance at getting their animal I would bed a large majority would say yes! That's exactly what I'm doing. By spending a little more on a tag, gas and food I'm giving my self a much greater chance at success at hunting quality animals every year.

• Like 1

I see what Your saying Big Brown, but what I'm Talking is not only cost but if You got a tag every 2 years its not gonna be a Quality hunt is what Im sayin.If You only by 1 or 2 points is not expensive either and if you don't put in for the special hunt. My deer tag is in a decsent unit but 9 points and special draw I'm at $1100 dollars just for tag.......BOB!

BOB, I have to respectfully disagree with you in regards to the cost of out of state hunts. Yes in some cases the hunts cost significantly more, but in a lot of cases the cost is negligible when you compare the cost of scouting in state hunts. For example: If I draw an Arizona unit 10 Antelope hunt I guarantee I will scout as often as possible. I will probably scout a minimum of 5-10 trips. Scouting trips are not cheap! On average I would guess a scouting trip with gas, food and possibly a hotel can cost $150-$300 per trip. Times that by 5-10 and you have spent $500-$1000 on scouting trips alone.

My Wyoming Antelope trip this year has already cost me $500 for 1 buck tag and 2 doe tags. That $500 is less than I would have spent to scout any instate hunt. The food, gas and hotel fee's are the same there as they would be here. The only additional cost is my gas there and back and my travel food. Therefore my out of state Antelope hunt will probably cost me less than a typical high end Arizona hunt. Yes, the Antelope tag is about $500 less than an Elk tag. Therefore an out of state Elk hunt could cost me about $500 more than an in state hunt.

Obviously these are estimated guesses, but I'm sure my numbers are not far off. I may not scout as much for some hunts as I do others, but either way the difference in the cost far out weighs the quality of the out of state hunts. If I asked 100 people if they would be willing to spend $500 extra on their tag to be guaranteed a quality tag and have a high success chance at getting their animal I would bed a large majority would say yes! That's exactly what I'm doing. By spending a little more on a tag, gas and food I'm giving my self a much greater chance at success at hunting quality animals every year.

I like the "new math" used. I agree that it can be done as I am looking at doing CO. archery for cow elk. I might be able to find a LO tag for a cow just as cheap and stay in state.