Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Reminder: Trail cam meeting/webcast tonight at main G&F office

If they are going to allow them within 1/4 mile of a man made water source the only reasonable suggestion I have heard is banning them around water from middle August (2 days before archery deer season opens) all the way through end of January. Having a camera season similar Montana is a fair compromise in my mind. You can still run cameras 24/7/365 but not around water during this time period.

I suggest everyone write the commission and let them know your feelings on the matter. Nothing will get settled here.

Hey "knothead" Everything I post here has already been sent and discussed with at least one Commissioner and The Azgfd in person and or by email. Public Forum's are information gathering sites where folks like my self can preach our gospel (the good news) and convince those of all different views to try get them involved and turned from the error of their thinking if it is Different than mine ! LOL!😁

By the way good suggestions there!

SirRoyal

Trphyhntr your just trying to reinvent the wheel! Lol!

I dont know alot but I do know nothing last forever and change is inevitable.

So yester year or the good old days are gone so its best that we are adaptable to current events .

I believe you said it all right there. MR. zip tie man.....LOL

Trail cams are fun and cool. My wife and kids love the pics. I had a unit 9 archery elk tag in 2010. Both me and my buddy killed 350 class bulls on the same tank. We had a camera on that tank from July 1st to till the end of elk season. We saved every single picture the camera took and I had it set for 3 pics every 30 seconds when activated. Neither of our bulls had been to this tank from July 1st till we killed them. This was the only time these bulls hit this tank. Did the camera help us kill bulls? I don't think so.

Fast forward to 2017 when we had another tag in unit 9. I had a very large bull coming into the tank all summer (same tank) and he moved just prior to the season and I searched the unit looking for the bull from September 1st through September 26th. Every morning and every evening. Never laid eyes on him but I knew he was there. Did having the camera make it super easy for me to kill that monster bull..........That I never actually saw in person even though I spend the better part of a solid month looking for that one bull. Cameras are fun but they don't always make killing the critter super easy.

It could be argued that having lots of hunters checking cameras during the season does more to keep animals alive than killing them. All the scent and noise around the tanks will turn animals nocturnal in a matter of seconds.

I personally think we should outlaw the use of zip ties. Just saying.

• Like 1

Here is my latest suggestion to the commissioners which I will try to send tonight after work:

Charge a permit fee:

$100 per camera (qty 1 – 5) per year.

$500 per year for each camera above qty 5.

All cameras must display the permit. If no permit is visible it is free for the taking or target practice.

Bolting camera or security box to live trees not allowed. Penalty is forfeiture to anyone who finds the violation.

Here is my latest suggestion to the commissioners which I will try to send tonight after work:

Charge a permit fee:

$100 per camera (qty 1 – 5) per year.

All cameras must display the permit. If no permit is visible it is free for the taking or target practice.

Bolting camera or security box to live trees not allowed. Penalty is forfeiture to anyone who finds the violation.

kkWm806.gif

• Like 2

Charge a permit fee:

$100 per camera (qty 1 5) per year.

post-63-0-67732500-1527809714.jpeg
  • Like 1

Trphyhntr your just trying to reinvent the wheel! Lol!

I dont know alot but I do know nothing last forever and change is inevitable.

So yester year or the good old days are gone so its best that we are adaptable to current events .

I believe you said it all right there. MR. zip tie man.....LOL

Ya But Mr. recurveman as long as I know more more than you Im golden!!! 😁

You better be nice or their gonna find you ziptied to the fence around a trick tank. And then who is buying steaks next time around?

Live feed is banned. My proposal: leave it at that and find some wild life to manage.

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes a "Live Feed" trail camera.

Take one of those house cameras that connect to your phone and put it on the pond. You can even talk to the animals and whisper sweet nothings. Un fair chase.

The minute that it passes does that make all guides cameras on ponds illegal and free for the taking? :P

The game and frogs have spent too much time and resources to not regulate us on this matter. I believe they are going to pass something, whether they can enforce it or not. I run a string of 6 game cameras. I normally take them down before the general Javelina hunts start and put them back up in May. I have 4 in the field right now and 2 sitting at home.

I would be in favor of registering my cameras with them for a reasonable annual fee. If an issue arose with one of my camera's from a wildlife manager, rancher, hunter, hiker or bird watcher, the frogs would have my contact information. Just like anything else in life, we would have to rely mostly on the "honor system". Will there be loop holes, yes. Will creative individuals find another way, yes. All of which are matters that are beyond my control.

Hanging and checking cameras give me and the kids something to do during the lulls. Do I archery hunt deer, yes. Am I trying to gain intell, yes. Do we enjoy being surprised when a new animal shows up on a travel corridor or saddle that we hung a camera in, yes.

We all have our favorite hunting or camping spot. If I arrive and someone is already there, do I hunt or camp right next to them? Nope, I'll move on to find another or new spot. I follow the same philosophy when it comes to my game cameras. If someone is already there, I'll pose for the camera, throw up the peace sign, then move on.

• Like 2