Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Field Scoring antelope

How do you field score antelope? Any pics of past kills with scores so I can get an idea?

I had gone to a seminar a while back and I think they used this meathod of the 2 inch eyeball to help score?

post-2686-0-17547400-1528521015.jpeg

Look up Eastmans 4x7 method.

Need 7 on the first two mass measurements, 7 combined between the fsecomd two measurements and 7 prongs. With those four measurements combined and 14 horns you will have a book goat.

An antelope ear is about 6 the eye is 1.5-2.

Antelope are incredibly tough to field judge. They are almost all shorter than you think they are because their ears are so small. Mass looks weird at different angles. Any curve to the horns will add more inches than you think. Horns that go out tend to look bigger. The best advice I have is to put your hands on as many as possible. Look at them with other people who know goats. And take a buddy and make him hold your ammo or quiver. Give him the authority to say no. Because at some point you are going to get fooled.

Good luck, have fun its a blast.

• Like 6

they are fun to try and judge, I still suck at it. Remember, mass hides length. And get at least 2 angles on them because curved cutters will look short from certain angles.

If you draw an antelope tag.....any legal buck is a shooter. Because it might be 2 years.....or 25....unitl your next tag!

• Like 5

If you draw an antelope tag.....any legal buck is a shooter. Because it might be 2 years.....or 25....unitl your next tag!

So much truth to that. Drew my first tag in 2012 with 7 points. Got too picky and passed a few nice bucks. Came home empty handed. It might be another 15+ years before I get another chance. Regret alot of my decisions on that hunt.

• Like 1

WYOMING..............................................

• Like 2

WYOMING..............................................

Sucks. Dont go.

• Like 3

So much truth to that. Drew my first tag in 2012 with 7 points. Got too picky and passed a few nice bucks. Came home empty handed. It might be another 15+ years before I get another chance. Regret alot of my decisions on that hunt.

rifle hunt? i dont think theres anything wrong with trophy hunting with a trophy tag, id rather come home empty handed knowing i gave it everything than come home with something poverty. just me though. if it was archery you dun goofed.

• Like 2

rifle hunt? i dont think theres anything wrong with trophy hunting with a trophy tag, id rather come home empty handed knowing i gave it everything than come home with something poverty. just me though. if it was archery you dun goofed.

Rifle.

Yeah, I gave it everything. I found one great buck and chased him around for most of the hunt, passing on some other good ones. Then he disappeared and my hunt ran out of days. 6 years later and it still stings. Oh well, I'm pushing 50, so I should have at least one more chance! :)

• Like 1

I look for 3 time the length of the ear then judge the rest. This other stuff, just shoot

I look for 3 time the length of the ear then judge the rest. This other stuff, just shoot

how many 18" goats you see?

One on my wall. 😀

• Like 1

how many 18" goats you see?
One on my wall. 😀

I think what hes getting at is that if you use that method youll probably go home empty handed in 99.9999999% of antelope units. You had arguably the best antelope hunt in the world. Your buck is incredible and most will go their lifetime without seeing one like that!!

Ya I was very lucky twice, ok 2 1/2 times the length.. And that is the way 4A used to be