bigorange

Any private pilots here?

Pretty random topic, but hey thats what the campfire is about. Ive always had a desire in the back of my mind to take flying lessons...dont exactly know how or when it started but maybe even back to when I was a kid. Just wondering if any pilots here (I know at least one guys screen name has pilot in it) and any advice or pointers on getting started. Yeah I know its expensive.

Community college and aero clubs are cheap alternatives to private instruction.

USAF paid for my flight school many moons ago when the new Glendale Airport opened.

Take off and landings at the old Glendale Airport was not for the faint of heart.

Turf soaring school up by lake pleasant has some great guys, I have flown with one of his tow pilots several times and gliders as well. I would look into gliding to start with, aircraft are reasonable to buy and you can fly for hours super cheap. You get to learn most of the electronics as well. I too have a dream of my own plane some day.

My dad was. He had a 172 and a Beech Bonanza. The 172 was a lot of fun. You can fly low and slow and spot game much easier. The Bonanza was a hot rod and a lot less forgiving than the 172. I'm not a pilot but would act as a co pilot on cross country trips. No big deal, it was usually when he needed to take a nap and we were where I wouldn't run into trouble, and if I did, I could just elbow him awake. It's a lot of fun. You should pursue it. Cost is a lot but we grew up in a small town and it didn't cost $1000 a month to park the planes. From what I've noticed with all of the private pilots is that it's better to learn on the high wing planes and then go after the high performance ones if that's your thing. My dad bought the plane and then learned how to fly. The plane was a 1972 172 and his flight instructor went with him to fly it back to Holbrook from Sky Harbor in 1983. From there he learned and soloed. We weren't a wealthy family and he was able to support a family of five and still operate it.

I am a private pilot and currently building an airplane in my garage when not hunting. There are some community colleges that provide ground schools. Make sure who ever is your trainer is, that he meshes well with you. First instructor I had we didn't get along well and it made the experience less than enjoyable. Which part of the state are you in? How big of a person are you. May dictate they type of plane you can learn in. There are plenty of places to train at. Usually places offer a discovery flight to see if your interested. Usually around $100 or so. Usually after the take off they give you the controls.

Pm me if you have specific questions if you like

• Like 3

Bigorange,

I am a professional pilot in Alaska currently flying off airport hunting charters. I finished my ratings a couple years ago and am still involved in flight training out of Glendale and up here in Alaska. Shoot me a PM and we can talk if you'd like. Best advice I have is to not start flying till you have the cash in hand for the entire rating (5k-7k for your Private). Id highly recommend Angel Aviation out of Glendale or Fly Goodyear out of Goodyear. If you want to jump start your PPL id recommend purchasing the cessna Private pilot ground school course and start studying for your written test.

Thanks for all the comments and pointers so far. In Tucson...not a tall guy but not skinny either LoL 5-11 and 215 lb. Looking into the local discovery flights as a starter.

Holy cow, my wife and I were were just discussing this five minutes ago and how I would love to do this someday. A man has to dream, doesn't he?

Comes up for me periodically too. Keep saying one of these days and maybe that time has come.

My advice to anyone wanting to learn how to fly is to do it. Amazing experience!

• Like 1

Kaffer62,

What kind of plane are you building? Aerobatic or STOL? That was always a dream my dad had, to build one at the house.

Kaffer62,

What kind of plane are you building? Aerobatic or STOL? That was always a dream my dad had, to build one at the house.

It's a Rv-7. STOL and aerobatic capable. Plus can cruise at 200 Mph. Very versatile airplane.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv7.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and pointers so far. In Tucson...not a tall guy but not skinny either LoL 5-11 and 215 lb. Looking into the local discovery flights as a starter.

Dude im 6ft and 300pounds. You've got nothing to worry about man! I've never had an issue in airplanes. just pick a skinny instructor!