Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Always Good Idea to Watch for Changing Regs

This was not a scientific or biologically based rule change... just the department giving in to the antis

I could see that. Popular time of year. No hunted lion pics would show up in Arizona or occur in public in the summer time. Hmmm...

And there is definite truth to when an animal is "out of season" we will see them more often...their fear of humans during that time will lessen and they aren't dumb.

Last summer I was hiking up in norther AZ during monsoon season, around July 7, 2017 or so. I hiked a 30 miler. I was rained on, which was quite pleasant considering the heat. But the straps on my pack did not react well, and took a long time to dry even though they felt dry. I was nearing the end of my hike, carrying a lot of weight. And the pack straps kept slipping and causing me all kinds of twisted carry issues. I was pretty miserable and making it known, out loud. It was dusk and a really nice monsoon was coming in (It was fun driving home in that amazing thunderstorm!!). I had noticed some really spooked deer, does and fawns and thought I spooked them. Suddenly I realized a small deer-sized mountain lion about 100 yds away was crouched and checking me out. I did what they tell you not to do, I tried scaring him away, and he didn't budge. I was raising my arms and yelling at him. I finally started marching toward him with arms raised and very angry, and he turned tail and ran some distance, then stopped to check me out. I nervous as heck and basically walking backwards for the remainder 2 miles of the trailhead.

Later I remembered I had my pistol on me and a lion tag (don't ask me how in the world I forgot that !!! ) and I could have filled that tag. Although it seemed to be a small lion so I'm glad he got away.

Don't see lion often out there, but I'm sure they see us and I'm pretty sure I only attracted his attention by being alone and out loud miserable. I was basically calling him in :-) And he was curious.

But, this year July 7, I would not be able to shoot that mountain lion as a hunt, as July 7 would be out of season.

Lonne

But, on June 30, 2018, this annual non-stop hunting season for mountain lion will end and the season will shorten a few summer of months of the year. From July 1, 2018 to Aug 23, 2018, mountain lion season will be closed. This is for the first time since I can remember. I don't remember when lion season was ever not year long, but some of the older hunting veterans on this site may remember and chime in.

And it appears beginning in 2019, the season will actually be closed from JUNE 1 until Aug. 24

I am always amazed at the number of hunters that dont read the regs every year. Instead they get on the internet and ask others that dont read the regs every year either. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. They give out the rules for free although the book is getting thicker and is so poorly organized that it takes a concerned effort to find what you want to look up. :)

• Like 1

Wow this is surprising, first I have heard of it. Surprised it didn't come up and become a public issue during the proposal stages. We always hear from the department how the cat numbers are doing just fine. So much for buying a lion tag for everyone's summer scouting trips...

It is not surprising, the houndsmen have been to many meetings talking about the lion regs. They are afraid that just like trapping when it is gone people will say whaaa happen?

I shot a lion last year on August 5th. This year I couldn't shoot a lion on that date. As of July 1st lion season will be closed for the first time I can every remember while being in AZ. So basically from the 80's lion season has been open every single day until July 1st. Kind of weird. Guess I'll just have to go up this weekend and get one before the season closes!!!!!!

I foresee more kitties getting shot and left lay to rot in the summer heat instead of guys getting to take them home and get them taxi'd.

I foresee more kitties getting shot and left lay to rot in the summer heat instead of guys getting to take them home and get them taxi'd.

Why? Just curious.

Just assuming that ranchers are still going to kill them for impacting their stock, and that guys carrying a rifle during summer scouting trips when the season is closed will still take a crack at a cat if they can, in the name of saving some deer.

• Like 1

Just assuming that ranchers are still going to kill them for impacting their stock, and that guys carrying a rifle during summer scouting trips when the season is closed will still take a crack at a cat if they can, in the name of saving some deer.

Ummm yeah...