Elk Reaper

Sears Model 53 Good for a Donor?

Does anyone have information on the Sears model 53? I know it's basically a Winchester model 70 action with a different stamp but is the quality the same? I had it shooting MOA and now it won't pattern at all I think the barrel has finally gave out. Would it be a good action to build off of? If so I was thinking of doing a 6.5-284. Any thoughts?

I think the action is a FN Mauser not a M70

I have the Model 51 and it is a FN action. It also used to sport a funky metric barrel just under 22 and shot bug holes. I think the model 53 was indeed made by Winchester.

Does anyone know how I could tell if it is a FN or Winchester action? Any other opinions on using it as a donor? If it is one of those actions I don't see a point in letting it sit.

Post a photo of both sides of the action. Winchester made the model 54 not a 53.

Does the MOD 53 have the distinctive MOD 70 3 position safety? I agree if their is family memory value a REM 700 or push feed MOD could be bought reasonably for a diner action.

It says Model 53 on the side I have it at my parents currently or I would post a picture. I haven't thought about the 3 position saftey I'll have to see if I can get him to check it out.

If it is marked Model 53 it has a M70 push feed long action made by Winchester. It could be made into a very accurate rifle.

I believe the Sears 53 was rebranded a Winchester 670. I have a friend that has one in a 30-06 that shoots well. If I was going to do a build, it would probably be off a 700 or 70 action.