yotebuster

Mountain Goat!!!

Amazing terrain! 

Dream hunt....congrats. 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:23 PM, recurveman said:

That is awesome.    Did you see any sheep while on your adventure.    

I think you were smart to get it done early.    Last year in mid September they had 3' of snow hit that range and basically made it almost impossible to hunt.  

recurveman

Yeah I heard that.  They had 10” on the 25th of aug but it was mostly melted by the time we got there.  There were a lot of sheep up in there.  Didn’t study them much but I think mostly ewes and young rams.  I think that’s in the OTC area but I’m guessing it’s not as easy as it looks since they haven’t killed one in there in the last couple years.  

Thought I’d throw up a quick update.  Got my mount back last fall but finally got around to hanging it this weekend.  We have 22’ peaks in our house (which is a shop with living quarters) so we have to rent a scissor lift to hang anything heavier then deer!!!  

7580787A-F472-4864-932B-3B7E74B06BB8.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Wow! 1

WOW, that looks Amazing!!!!  That's exactly what I want to do if I ever get one!

30 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

That's my absolute dream hunt.  2nd is New Zealand red stag. 

I went to NZ a few years back.  It’s a bucket list for sure but if I could do it again I’d save the money and just sight see.  All of the big stags (250”+) are high fenced.  I shot one.  First and last time I’ll do it.  I’d take a 4b archery bull tag over a NZ stag hunt in a heartbeat.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yotebuster said:

I went to NZ a few years back.  It’s a bucket list for sure but if I could do it again I’d save the money and just sight see.  All of the big stags (250”+) are high fenced.  I shot one.  First and last time I’ll do it.  I’d take a 4b archery bull tag over a NZ stag hunt in a heartbeat.  

Right on, since I know nothing of what it takes to kill a Billy,  how many points does it take to get a chance at one,  financial investment and all.   What state did you hunt?

6 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Right on, since I know nothing of what it takes to kill a Billy,  how many points does it take to get a chance at one,  financial investment and all.   What state did you hunt?

I had ten points and got lucky in MT.  About a 4% chance in the unit I applied to.  They have a squared bonus point system so just starting out you have very little chance.  It could reasonably take you 20 years or more but you never know.  I did this hunt on my own so short of the $1200 tag fee and the gas to get there it was just sweat equity.  Idaho doesn’t have a point system and has some really good goat odds. (Like 1:4 type odds).  Down fall is you have to eat a $150 license to apply for the one species.   I think you can go to SE Alaska for about $7-10k but getting there and back will be another $2k or so.  I really enjoyed this hunt as did it with my brothers and wife and backpacked into some cool country.  They aren’t bad eating despite what people say.  We’ve really enjoyed the meat actually.  Like a tough antelope.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I had ten points and got lucky in MT.  About a 4% chance in the unit I applied to.  They have a squared bonus point system so just starting out you have very little chance.  It could reasonably take you 20 years or more but you never know.  I did this hunt on my own so short of the $1200 tag fee and the gas to get there it was just sweat equity.  Idaho doesn’t have a point system and has some really good goat odds. (Like 1:4 type odds).  Down fall is you have to eat a $150 license to apply for the one species.   I think you can go to SE Alaska for about $7-10k but getting there and back will be another $2k or so.  I really enjoyed this hunt as did it with my brothers and wife and backpacked into some cool country.  They aren’t bad eating despite what people say.  We’ve really enjoyed the meat actually.  Like a tough antelope.   

Thanks man. Just refreshed my memory and read the entire thread.  Now I remember you mentioning all the blow downs.  They look to be bigger animals then I gave them credit for, its hard to gauge sizes with nothing next to them but next to you and on the wall comparing the size of the double door they look to je pretty hefty animals. Congrats man that looks absolutely amazing.