Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Looking for a good truck for my son

Hey guys, my son is looking for a good reliable pickup truck, probably in the $6-8K range if possible. I know his preference is an older F250 7.3 but we've only been finding very high mileage in that price range, so I'm really open to any good deal on a quality truck. Doesn't need to be pretty, just reliable and well maintained. He needs something he can take wood cutting.

If you know of, or come across a good deal I'd sure appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks,

Jason

Not sure how much wood he plans to haul around but for your price range I would highly recommend an f150 with a 2v 5.4. not to be confused with a f150 with a 3v. Those trucks last forever. I know of a bunch of guys that have trucks with those motors with well over 300,000 miles. I've read about tons and tons of the 2v 5.4's with half a million miles. When I was looking for a truck I found lots of those trucks in your price range. They do have a tendency to pop spark plugs but if he carries a kit around it's not a big deal and worth the issue considering how many miles he can expect out of one of those trucks. He may not want a half ton but if it will work I would consider researching them.

Please , do not introduce Your kid to anything but a Ford..........BOB!

Please , do not introduce Your kid to anything but a Ford..........BOB!

I agree. Owning a ford will teach him how to be a mechanic. Always good to learn a trade.

• Like 12

Find him a decent Chevy 2500 with 6.0l gas motor.

Ford guit making a good truck in 1972 they have gone downhill since. Definitely stay away from the Triton motor way to many problems with them and to hard to work on compared to GM gas motors. Most people that buy a diesel have no real daily use for them to justify the maintenance costs involved.

Listen to 360 or better he is a 45 year master ASE certified mechanic. I agree if you get him a gas truck GM is way easier to work on.