Sign in to follow this  
1uofacat

Blinds & Hunting Ethics

Here's my general feeling regarding blinds archers set up before or during hunts:

• I've heard of individuals who set up/have blinds at several locations at the same time, and am sure it's not uncommon, especially for archery antelope
  • Not every blind left in the field will always be occupied
  • Just because someone sets up a blind at a tank in advance, that act alone does not give them "exclusive hunting rights" at that location
  • As with other situations, IMO, hunting in a particular location is a "First Come-First Serve" situation, and that goes for sitting at water holes or on trails, whether or not an unoccupied blind is already there. If someone beats me to a location to hunt, then I go to another spot, and expect others to do the same thing
  • While I don't generally leave portable blinds set up out in the field, I know some do. That said, I would not use another's portable blind if I came across one while hunting
  • Posting a sign at a "parking location/trail head" that one intends to hunt there (in the future) falls into the same category... a posted sign on public property does not give anyone "exclusive hunting rights" to that location. Again, it comes down to, "First Come, First Serve" as far as I'm concerned.
  • If someone posts a sign at a "parking location" that they are already at a tank, and a vehicle is there, then I'll go to another location as they were there "first"...

I'm interested in other's opinions on the topic

post-10705-0-63344800-1529712583_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What you have said sounds good to me as I have used signs to inform other hunters that I was hunting a water hole down the road and I have also walked into a spot and found someone hunting there and left to go to another area.

• Like 1

What you have said sounds good to me as I have used signs to inform other hunters that I was hunting a water hole down the road and I have also walked into a spot and found someone hunting there and left to go to another area.

I'm with him (and you). I've given a few earsful to people who drive past my truck on a dead-end road and stop to tell us that they are intending to hunt the same area I've just told them we're on our way to hunt.

I dont care for signs in some situations. I ran into a sign one year that was at the beginning of a road, maybe a half mile from Water, but there was a whole network of roads passed the tank with another handful of tanks beyond it. I ended up turning around and leaving the entire area, but I dont think a sign should give you rights to everything. Really theres no point in having a sign there because if someone drives to the water and sees you they could just continue on to the next.

I dont mind a sign on a dead end road but if I see your truck parked at the beginning I would assume youre on the water anyway.

• Like 2

First come first serve for sure, back out slow if I notice someone else there, f signs and multiple blinds, as I recall it's national forest , never saw a tree with any hunters name on it saying they own it. And for a holes that think they can come in 2 hrs late and say it's there spot. I don't think so, and then the tuff guys that think there gonna fight for the spot. It yours that's why good hunters have many good spots. Ya I have had more then a few run ins. 22 is a bitch.

• Like 1

Signs, vehicles, blinds, stands, trail cams, etc are all used by claimers to attempt exclusive use of an area. Unless I see something with a heartbeat and a weapon, I go where I please. When I sit water, I expect company, part of the game.

• Like 1

The only time I put up a sign is on dead end roads to let others know I am in the area. Basically it just says I am hunting the end of the road. I usually am walking or on my bike so you won't see a vehicle to let you know I am down there. Same goes for others who might be dropped off, so just remember somebody may be at the end of the road without a vehicle around.

IMHO-- Per Mr. Woody's reply---public land is public land . Anyone and everybody has the right to be where they want to be .

Respect for other's is a whole different ball of wax . The only way to hunt with others around is to have respect for whomever showed up first---In a perfect world so to speak----

• Like 2

Guest oneshot

I'm with him (and you). I've given a few earsful to people who drive past my truck on a dead-end road and stop to tell us that they are intending to hunt the same area I've just told them we're on our way to hunt.

How is someone supossed to know where you are Hunting? left/right/100yds off the road/3miles off the road???

I always avoid water/roads, not worth the hassle of running into other's...

Guest oneshot

The only time I put up a sign is on dead end roads to let others know I am in the area. Basically it just says I am hunting the end of the road. I usually am walking or on my bike so you won't see a vehicle to let you know I am down there. Same goes for others who might be dropped off, so just remember somebody may be at the end of the road without a vehicle around.

again, How is someone to know if you are east/west/100yds/3miles off the road??? a sign,parked vehicle doesnt give you the entire area...

When I leave a blind up on public land, I have the hope that others get to use it as well. I doubt many would be that bold, but if I arrive at my blind and I found somebody in it, I'd turn around and leave it to'em. It's public land and nobody gets to claim it. I'd, perhaps, leave a note under their wiper or handlebars that would say they were using my blind and GOOD LUCK. I'd say "If you get lucky, I'd enjoy a pic". I would include my name and email.

I always think about being able to share. I literally dream of being able to put a kid or disabled vet or other deserving people in a blind set up and see them get lucky on some of the nice critters that I have on cam.

What I have had a major issue with is the people who do not follow the rule about not camping within 1/4 mile of a tank.

• Like 4

^^^ IMHO I utilize materials that the area I am planning to hunt provides to build a blind . I don't believe in using anything but what is natural habitat . Have been up and about before hunts and built ground blinds--- on different occasions have come back to find some of the blinds have been spruced up a bit --all good . Realizing that someone else had the same plan as I , I arrived earlier to use said blind-- saw light in blind --was occupied , again all good . Left without even making contact with the hunter . Don't even know if said hunter even saw me .

Went to blind in the middle of the day and took my turn sitting . Hunter showed up in the afternoon stood and let him see me , a waive and I sat back down . Hunter turned and left . All good .

• Like 3

When I leave a blind up on public land, I have the hope that others get to use it as well. I doubt many would be that bold, but if I arrive at my blind and I found somebody in it, I'd turn around and leave it to'em. It's public land and nobody gets to claim it. I'd, perhaps, leave a note under their wiper or handlebars that would say they were using my blind and GOOD LUCK. I'd say "If you get lucky, I'd enjoy a pic". I would include my name and email.

I always think about being able to share. I literally dream of being able to put a kid or disabled vet or other deserving people in a blind set up and see them get lucky on some of the nice critters that I have on cam.

What I have had a major issue with is the people who do not follow the rule about not camping within 1/4 mile of a tank.

Wow! Pm me everywhere you keep blinds!

• Like 1

We had our first real issues with this last year on late archery bull hunt. It was pretty easy to tell if someone was on water so we avoided it and had several back ups each morning. We even used an existing tree stand for a few days until we went in one morning and it was gone so we put ours up and continued on. We never saw anyone anywhere near that stand so that was odd. I even brushed tracks clean and only ever had the one other humans tracks when they grabbed the stand. With that said the biggest issue we had was with the upcoming hunt after ours, several times we had guys coming in days before the next hunt to set up their blinds or stands while we were hunting. That was a pain, I always glass my way into water but these guys just rolled the ranger right to the water and blabbed away for 10 minutes before noticing us in a blind.