Sign in to follow this  
1uofacat

Blinds & Hunting Ethics

The only time I put up a sign is on dead end roads to let others know I am in the area. Basically it just says I am hunting the end of the road. I usually am walking or on my bike so you won't see a vehicle to let you know I am down there. Same goes for others who might be dropped off, so just remember somebody may be at the end of the road without a vehicle around.

again, How is someone to know if you are east/west/100yds/3miles off the road??? a sign,parked vehicle doesnt give you the entire area...

I have a sign that says" Hunter at water at end of road." I don't say not to come down, just hope that others will come in quietly. These are also dead end roads, as already been stated, and the only way to get to the water is to walk within 10 feet of me, 40 yards from the water. I am not "claiming" the spot but letting others know they may want to avoid a 1 1/2 mile round trip walk if they don't want to deal with other hunters since these roads are no longer passible to motorized vehicles. USFS closed gates and signs. Just trying to be courteous to other hunters. I was also pointing out that just because a vehicle is not there, somebody might already be there.

• Like 1

if someone sets up a blind on public land and doesn't hunt it, what's wrong with sitting in it and using it?

Nothing at all. It also doesn't matter if you get there first and use it. That is why my blind is always with me, 4'X 12' camo burlap is easy to set up and take down. Mix it in with some natural features and nobody knows where I set up unless they happen upon me.

• Like 1

If I found someone in my blind I would be taking it with me as I would need it where ever I was going next.

• Like 3

If I found someone in my blind I would be taking it with me as I would need it where ever I was going next.

Haha I like this one, just say hello and by the way give me a hand taking this down,, love it.

• Like 2

For clarification are we talking about a blind made of only nearby resources or a brushed in pop up blind? Imo a brushed in pop up is a bit different. A blind made of wood and branches is always fair game.

I own several ground blinds. After years of climbing trees I pretty much have called it quits and find it much more safer falling asleep in a ground blind. I never wore a safety belt and that wasn't smart on my part. I had a few close calls and was extremely lucky I never few. I've seen or heard just about everything when it comes to hunters and ground blinds. People stealing,using someone's,forest service burning them down on control burns,pouring gas on someone's blind,slicing them up with a knife,taking a dump in a blind, to finding your blind in the middle of a water hole. I hunt with a lot of ground blind hunters that have had these issue but I personally in all the years have been lucky enough not to have any real issues. Yes, I have encountered other hunters in my blind and most are willing to leave but I usually tell them to stay and hunt out the morning or evening whatever it may be. Why, cause I always have a backup plan. First come first serve. I usually don't hunt well known water holes so that takes a lot of the problem away. I have found over the years to treat other hunters with respect even if they aren't playing by the rules. It's way better than arguing over a situation that could end up ugly. I always greet them with a smile and find this has worked well for me over the years.

• Like 5

It's reassuring to read the posts here as I don't disagree with anyone's comments.

As far as "knowing where someone is if a sign is posted", that alone won't keep me out of an area, but if there's a tank in the area and I find a sign without a vehicle, the sign alone may not stop me from going in there. If I do choose to go in, I'd know I may find someone there and then need to back out/go elsewhere, or know that if nobody is there they may show up. Again, it should be First Come, First Serve...

I have had one treestand stolen from 5BNorth. It was locked to the tree with a chain, 12' off the ground, w/out steps, so somebody had to work at getting it... (bastards!) They cut the lock and left the chain, but took the stand and strap I had securing it to the tree. Odd thing is it was 20 yards from a trail well off the "beaten path" 1/2 mile from any road. I hope I find it someday as I made it along with 3 others that I still use (welded construction) and it's got some unique features... that would be an "interesting" conversation if I ever did find it!

One other time I was in my hunting partner's treestand hunting elk in unit 27 from which he took an elk a week earlier (great trail) & in the stand at "dark-thirty" early one morning. A quad drove in and parked about 1/4 mile away, on a CLOSED FS road. We didn't drive in to get there or set up, we hike in from an open road about a mile away and packed it in BTW. This BOZO fumbles in the dark, makes a ton of noise after parking his quad, and then I notice him heading in my general direction in the dark with his bright white flashlight waiving all around. After he turns and starts heading directly towards the treestand about 50 yards away, up a steep hill, I flash him with my flashlight while up in the treestand. His light immediately goes out, and aside from the heavy panting and wheezing, I hear him wisper... "dam*"... He then turns around, crashes back down the hill to his quad, and drives away... not being any too quiet either, and right through the area that elk should have come through to go by the stand! He was a bastard IMHO too!, but only for driving a quad on a closed road to get to a treestand where he essentially screwed it up for anyone in the area, not just myself, but for himself too. Needless to say no elk that morning.

• Like 1