stanley

Early e-scouting 3C Fool Hollow - Late LATE Cow

Howdy everyone!

Two of my favorite hunting partners, my two youngest kids, are both in college now so squeezing in hunts can be difficult with their schedules (especially my son, who is going to school out of state...). The only two elk hunts that were running while they are home for Christmas break were late cow in 1/2B/2C and 3C - Fool Hollow. Our first choice was unit 1 since I know it pretty well, but their luck leaned towards 2nd choice and they ended-up with 3C - Fool Hollow tags.

I know the area just a little, from Christmas tree cutting trips over the years. Have NEVER hunted it though. I of course plan on doing some scouting prior, and also understand that with the hunt being so late (12/14-12/31), that early early scouting will likely not be too fruitful other than to get the lay of the land. Likely I will spend the 2 or 3 weekends just prior to the hunt looking around. Daughter has never killed an elk, so I'm planning on working hard to get her a chance at one. ^_^

So of course though, I wanted to check to see if there are any locals up there that might have some advice or hints for me? ^_^ :D The G&F site mentions some areas like Telephone Lake and While Lake North of Show Low. It also references some ranch and farm land around Linden & Burten, but of course says that permission is a must on the private land.

Anyway, anybody willing to share some insight? PM me or call/text 602-399-4769 if you are willing to help-out.

Thanks in advance!!!

Stan

• Like 3

Hi,

My son is 17. He has been on 2 elk hunts but we have not been able to get one. He was drawn for the fools hollow hunt this year. Any help on where the cow elk are in that area would be much appreciated. I will be up there this Saturday Nov 17, 2018.

Thanks

On 6/25/2018 at 5:54 AM, stanley said:

Thanks a bunch, both of you!!!! Truly appreciate it!

Lee, I'll get in touch soon!

S.

That space between north of the high school following the creek bottom to the lake has it share. 

On 6/24/2018 at 3:32 PM, stanley said:

Howdy everyone!

Two of my favorite hunting partners, my two youngest kids, are both in college now so squeezing in hunts can be difficult with their schedules (especially my son, who is going to school out of state...). The only two elk hunts that were running while they are home for Christmas break were late cow in 1/2B/2C and 3C - Fool Hollow. Our first choice was unit 1 since I know it pretty well, but their luck leaned towards 2nd choice and they ended-up with 3C - Fool Hollow tags.

I know the area just a little, from Christmas tree cutting trips over the years. Have NEVER hunted it though. I of course plan on doing some scouting prior, and also understand that with the hunt being so late (12/14-12/31), that early early scouting will likely not be too fruitful other than to get the lay of the land. Likely I will spend the 2 or 3 weekends just prior to the hunt looking around. Daughter has never killed an elk, so I'm planning on working hard to get her a chance at one. ^_^

So of course though, I wanted to check to see if there are any locals up there that might have some advice or hints for me? ^_^ :D The G&F site mentions some areas like Telephone Lake and While Lake North of Show Low. It also references some ranch and farm land around Linden & Burten, but of course says that permission is a must on the private land.

Anyway, anybody willing to share some insight? PM me or call/text 602-399-4769 if you are willing to help-out.

Thanks in advance!!!

Stan

Stan, did you find any? We are up here now. Saw a bull only.

Morning guys!  Just back from two days up there (hunted Sat & Sun).  Tough tough tough!!!   Saw some sign, both slightly old AND fresh.  Not tons of it, but enough to know there are elk.  lol   The majority of the places we were hunting was relatively flat & thick 'PJ' type of vegetation.  Tough to see much in that stuff. ;)

We're going to head back up there for a couple of more days on Wednesday.  It appears as though the density of animals is extraordinarily low in there at this time, but there are clearly some in there someplace.....  I'm thinking just more time spent in there, and hopefully we'll cross paths with some.  Nose into the wind and SLOW! 

Maybe we'll run into each other.  Good luck!!

S.

Spent 6 days hunting and a friend added 3 days. Went all over the unit from south to north. Did the canyons, high points, low points, glassed over the open areas, walked thru the trees.  Tried to push them out just to see one. Drove the roads to find tracks but cattle tracks were the significant majority.

Did not see a thing. Cattle were everywhere. Plenty of grass.  On start of second weekend, duck hunters spoiled the telephone lake area and at same time duck hunters near recreation lakes. On last two days of the hunt there were target shooters in 3 other open locations. 

Read some range management white papers and they said elk do not mix with cattle unless food is scarce. Not sure if it holds for this area but seems to.

My friend saw one bull on day 1. I did not see anything, no fresh, and very few tracks.  I saw one fresh bone pile just off of telephone lake road on 11/30/18.

For a nuisance hunt, I did not see much of a nuisance . Elk must have been pushed out of the unit.

Very disappointing. Thought the nuisance hunt would be best chance for my son to finally bag one.

Conversations about life with the 17 year old was priceless.

Well...better luck next time for us.

fool hollow.jpg

Sorry others didn't have any luck. I was up there for three weekends and spent 12 hours a day driving and hiking around. Ten days total. Finally got my elk on Sunday! Throughout the hunt we came across 4 bulls, but no cows. We saw a herd the weekend prior, but too close to houses and they took off up a hill never to be seen again. Got lucky on Sunday though. Saw them right off 260, pulled north on Pinedale road and they were right there! 

20181230_130728.jpg

• Like 1