Sign in to follow this  
win71

Food for Thought

I agree with idgaf on this one. When I archery hunt I use traditional gear. And seldom wear camo. My hunt doesnt really start until I get within 50 yds. I prefer to be under 25 yds when I shoot. Of the last five elk Ive killed the longest shot was right at 18 yds. I shot a little 6x6 at 13 yds with a flint arrowhead one time and when he stopped at 45 I dropped another one tight behind the crease of the shoulder....but I never would have taken that shot if he didnt already have an arrow in him.

BTW I own legit 1000yd rifles and have the skill to shoot that far. Ive only shot a couple of animals over 400. Ive always been able to close the distance. Of course Ive blown a few stalks closing but thats just part of the hunt to me.

With all the anti hunting organizations after hunting rights, we should not be arguing over STUPID topics like this. Regardless of the style of taking the animal as long as it's legal we should be supporting each other!!!!

• Like 9

To each their own. I’ve killed plenty of animals under 20 and plenty over 500. Long range hunting extends my hunts because i’m able to be more selective and target old animals. I’d rather see someone shoot a 7 year old buck at 500 yards than a traditional hunter shoot a fork horn at 20. We’re all on the same team with a common enemy.

• Like 8

I hope you didnt infer from my post that I dont support long range hunting. Im fine with it.

I do believe people try it before they are ready though and I wish they would be more self aware and show some restraint.

I hope you didnt infer from my post that I dont support long range hunting. Im fine with it.

I do believe people try it before they are ready though and I wish they would be more self aware and show some restraint.

I couldnt agree more. Too many spray and pray long range hunters out there. Took me many years to get confident in longer shots
  • Like 2

Im just glad there are guys like you Win71 that are man enough to realize they are incapable to make those long range shots. It takes lots of shooting discipline to keep on target 500+.

Guys like you are incapable of actually hunting animals. BTW, I can shoot that far, I choose not to.
Ha ha there you go assuming! Who said I was a long range hunter bro? Have you hunted with me??? Stupid comment for a stupid typical keyboard pounder.

You 4000+ post. Me 985 posts. Now who is keyboard pounder? You can disagree with a person's opinion and both still have valid arguments.

Whats the difference in killing an animal at 25 yds vs 500 yds?

The hunt. at 25 yards you are violating their safe space. At 500 they do not have that issue. try getting as close as you can, its addicting.
If I kill one at 40 yds... does that make me a hack?

No, neither does taking an animal 500+, its just not for me, personally. I have helped my hunting partners take animals at those distances and after the animal is down, I make fun of them.
Our group makes fun of guys who shoot spikes

Hey, I shoot spikes....

• Like 1

Im just glad there are guys like you Win71 that are man enough to realize they are incapable to make those long range shots. It takes lots of shooting discipline to keep on target 500+.

Guys like you are incapable of actually hunting animals. BTW, I can shoot that far, I choose not to.
Ha ha there you go assuming! Who said I was a long range hunter bro? Have you hunted with me??? Stupid comment for a stupid typical keyboard pounder.
You 4000+ post. Me 985 posts. Now who is keyboard pounder? You can disagree with a person's opinion and both still have valid arguments.
No worries man, probably because Ive been a member longer but who cares. I was referring being a tough guy behind the ol keyboard. Anyways I apologize if I offended you, the last 3 bucks ive killed have been all under a 100 yards with last years being 15 yards just because I wanted to see how close I could get to it. I dont condone long range hunting because I have lots of friends that shoot far. I used to practice a lot of long range, I feel confident I could make the shot count 600+, but for those that want to have at it as long as they practice. For me I like getting close, last year 15 yards was fun. Anyways Idgaf Its all hunting, just different methods of it. As soon as we put more restrictions on it, the more the AZGF will take away.

Shooting/hunting beyond 500/600 yards is i whole different game. When I do the FRI AM 500yrd practice, accuracy with my Seekins Havak 6.5C PRS rifle with muzzle brake and big glass is dead on cinch. When I get behind the gun using a 270WIN normal weight MOD 70 Winchester hitting inside of 6 inch group becomes more challenging. I just enjoy hunting with the 270 MOD 70 and enjoy lighter and less gear. It feels like hunting and its enjoyable. If I wanted to be a sniper I would have skipped the U and joined the Marines at age 18. I hear they they a great Scout/Sniper program if you are good enough to get selected for it.

We should all take responsible shots, that we know we can make. We should all support the guys who want to see the life leave their preys eyes as they slit their throats with a knife at 2 feet away, and those that spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars trying to shoot a flee off a goats butt at 2000 yards. We all hunt for different reasons. But we all share a common goal, and that is to hunt. Bickering and fighting does nothing but separate us, when we should be uniting to protect the reasons we want to hunt. If you want to bash another hunter for doing something that is illegal, than have at it. But, if you want to attack a hunter that's doing nothing illegal, then you might as well join the antis, because you're part of the problem, and I have no time for you. End of rant.

He sucked you all in, now he's gone. Remember it's free country

• Like 2

Im not gone. Just reading your posts. Some are not to bad and some idiotic. Shooting at long range has even been comented on by AZGF in the regs but I am sure you all don't read those other than to pick a unit.

KC people been wildcatting the 308 for years. You got sucked in to the old this is a great: manufactures game to sell more stuff. Long Range Pursuit sucked you in to the long range game to boot. Quite watching TV and wishing you could play with the big dogs. Little short short boy

Laughing a lot on this win71 are you for real? Since you have no personal information I guess your name calling makes up for the short part of your iq