Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Who drew a bison tag for fall 2018?

Well, looks like I drew a Nov-Dec cow bison tag for the house rock herd. I have no idea of what to expect, because of the cull hunts that'll be happening. At least as far as I know. From what I have heard, they expect that'll push them out of the park for higher success rates outside the park.

I am somewhat apprehensive, but excited. I know I have a lot to learn.

So, any other fall bison hunters want to chime in?

i

I was on a limited opportunity hunt in 2016 during late July. Conditions will be quite different but you can probably get a good idea what to expect reading past threads. Would be happy to share any info I have. Good Luck!

Didn't hear anything about the cull hunts. When does that start?

I had the June 8th through 17th hunt. Game and Fish mentioned in the hunter meeting the night before the hunt started that the planned culling in the GCNP was going to start towards the end of July.

I had the June hunt last year. Were we told at that time the cull would only take place when the park closes for the winter and they would utilize hunters through a draw process. This may be a good thing for your hunt MT_Sourdough

Looks like I need to get my winter tent, stove and cargo sled back from Montana somehow. I need to figure out how to get it shipped via freight or make a quick little jaunt to Montana to get it.

The tent is a 12'x12' Alaknak with vestibule. At over 8,000' elevation, a wood stove would be just what I'll need on the plateau in November and possibly December.

Based on what I have determined at this point, this might be a great time to have this tag, because they intend to basically purge the herd and replace with more pure genetics from South Dakota or some where. So they'll probably be some years coming up with little to no tags while they build up the herd with new genetics.

Either way, this hunt is a dream come true. I feel like God has been too kind to me this year. That much kindness can make a guy nervous..

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 7:55 PM, MT_Sourdough said:

Looks like I need to get my winter tent, stove and cargo sled back from Montana somehow. I need to figure out how to get it shipped via freight or make a quick little jaunt to Montana to get it.

The tent is a 12'x12' Alaknak with vestibule. At over 8,000' elevation, a wood stove would be just what I'll need on the plateau in November and possibly December.

Based on what I have determined at this point, this might be a great time to have this tag, because they intend to basically purge the herd and replace with more pure genetics from South Dakota or some where. So they'll probably be some years coming up with little to no tags while they build up the herd with new genetics.

Either way, this hunt is a dream come true. I feel like God has been too kind to me this year. That much kindness can make a guy nervous..

Scott we need to talk. Found out some info today thet may or may not effect your hunt. GCNP has implemented a plan to trap and pen bison. They want pen completed by Oct before snow comes in. Not sure when they plan on beginning the round up fall or Spring