fireplanes

what rifle for me 14 year daughter ?

Hi guys, my daughter has been hunting since last year. we are planning to hunt cues and she wants to tag along...looking for a lightweight rife with excellent recoil....i'm open to suggestions on calibre. appreciate all opinions,

Thanks for looking.

ruger compact in 7mm-08 with break. 120 grain reduced recoil Hornady cartridge. good to go

• Like 2

Hi guys, my daughter has been hunting since last year. We are planning to hunt Coues, and she wants to tag along. Looking for a lightweight rifle with minimal recoil. I'm open to suggestions on caliber (chambering or cartridge selection?). I appreciate all opinions.

Thanks for looking.

Here are my suggestions.

If you are.looking for factory loads:

.243 Win

6mm Rem

6x47L

.250 Savage

.257 Roberts

6.5x47L

6.5CM

.260 Rem

6.5x55 Swede

7-08

As far as lightweight rifles, budget is key to an informed answer. Plenty of light rifles in all price ranges.

Savage Axis

Ruger Predator

Rem Model 7

Winchester Superlight

Kimber Mountain Ascent

Cooper Excaliber

Caliblers:

6.5 Something or 7-08 is what I would choose. For a dedicated deer gun .243 or 6mm are also in the mix. If you plan to have her start elk hunting I would start with something in 6.5 or 7mm just to get a little heavier bullet weight options.

Budget is the big factor.

For Cheaper rifles:

Howa

Ruger American

Savage

If your tastes are a little more expensive Kimber or a nice Remington Model 7 would be sweet.

One of the most handy best rifles that I ever felt while I worked in the gun shops years back that I still think about was a Remington Model 7 in 7-08. It might have been a mountain rifle from the custom shop, but it was light, pointed really well, and was just an all around awesome looking and feeling gun.

• Like 1

260 Remington 700 sps my 10yr old daughter shoots of course I did some work to it and hand load. She killed her first deer last year one shot at 290 yards. She can't wait for this year she drew another tag.

If it's excellent recoil your after, your 10 year old daughter will want a 375 H&H Magnum. To save on weight, cut the stock off just behind the pistol grip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This past off season I bought a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor for my soon to be 10 year old daughter to use this fall. My primary reason for this rifle is the highly adjustable stock. She is a petite little thing and most of my rifles would be way to big for her. The Ruger Precision comes with a factory brake, and is on the heavier side (I believe 10.7 pounds before the scope), but since I will be carrying it for her, the added weight will be a plus when she shoots. I have it shooting under .5 MOA.

Here is a picture from just after I bought it, prior to mounting the scope.

post-6408-0-27736300-1530891535_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There's a like new 6.5 CM Ruger predator for $385 shipped on 24 hour campfire cassified.

My kids ( both boys) shoot 260 Remington. Not knocking a 243, but we only shot one for the 10-12 year old timeframe.