fireplanes

what rifle for me 14 year daughter ?

I bought my daughter a Tikka 260 Rem. she and I really like it.

I would recommend the 243 or 7-08 the're good calibers ...it would depending on her skill and expectation for hunting

Dad bought me a Winchester 70 .243 when I was a scrawny 11 year old starting out. Great rifle to get comfortable with and still my favorite rifle to shoot.

I was disappointed with the savage 7mm/08 I got for my son a few years back. Horrible machining, flimsy stock. He shoots a Howa  308 now. It's a bit heavier and therefore reduced recoil and better accuracy. Not knocking the cheap starter guns but after a year or two you're gonna wish you just bought a higher quality gun.

My vote would be for a 7/08 with a brake (pretty hard to beat for deer-elk for a youth caliber).  If no brake, than 243.  Either way, put a nice piece of glass on it that is fit to her.  That is where I have seen too many people go wrong and ruin the experience when you can't find stuff in the scope.   

257 Roberts or 243

• Like 2

How many people here had a brake on their deer rifle when they were 11? How many didn’t?  I don’t regret having to shooting open sights and no brake. I think it made me handle a rifle better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

How many people here had a brake on their deer rifle when they were 11? How many didn’t?  I don’t regret having to shooting open sights and no brake. I think it made me handle a rifle better.

When I was 11 the only things that had brakes were vehicles and sheetmetal shops.

• Like 3

I shot a .30-06 & .270 for years when I was a kid hunting with my Dad.  No brake on them.  7RM for years after that with no brake.

I got my first brake on my .300RUM when I bought it back in 1999.  I shot 5 rounds with it.....and went and installed a brake.  R700 BDL sporter weight @ 8+# was not friendly.

Now, I am a wimp, and have a brake on everything except my AR and rimfires.  My 6CM will even have one.  Much easier to shoot LR when you can see your own impacts.

Both my kids have a Ruger American predator rifles in 6.5 creedmoore. My daughter needed a lefty and I'm waiting for the muzzle brake to get here so I can screw it on then, hers is ready to go.20180928_171428.thumb.jpg.5d9ea8fd23aca2be3240c84b7a285dfe.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jdown said:

My vote would be for a 7/08 with a brake (pretty hard to beat for deer-elk for a youth caliber).  If no brake, than 243.  Either way, put a nice piece of glass on it that is fit to her.  That is where I have seen too many people go wrong and ruin the experience when you can't find stuff in the scope.   

To answer your question it would be good to know what she’s hunting. A 7-08 covers a lot more game than a 243 depending on what she wants to hunt. If elk is in your mind a 7-08 is a good idea if she can manage the recoil. My daughters prefer the 243 but sometimes I wish they were shooting something a little bigger. I agree with the comment on cheap rifles. The savage axis is a nice shooter but the stock is light and flimsy I’d look into a real stock that fits her right.