Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

I drew 12aw late hunt.

Ok guys i just drew 12aw late hunt and really did not expect it. Was expecting a bonus point but sense its a lottery i went for it.Never been in unit. My pride says no guide but with the tag it is telling me guide.what do you guys think? Should i give it a go on my own? I am a realist and i know i will maybe get one or two trips up there thats it with work and two babies. Is that enough time to give me a starting point or should i not waist the tag and hire a guide?money is an issue as i dont have any lol. But i can make it work if i need to i guess

Same here. If you know you'll be able to stay the entire hunt I would backpack in assuming conditions would allow and glass til your eyes bleed.

Head to sowatts,low country, every group of does will have a buck, don't load your gun until you find what you want, so you don't shoot a dink which is huge in most units. Hold out and you should get a 180"-200"+ buck. Great tag, I consider once in a life time and I haven't got it yet

• Like 1

Same here. If you know you'll be able to stay the entire hunt I would backpack in assuming conditions would allow and glass til your eyes bleed.

I dont believe Ive ever heard of anyone backpacking on the Kaibad especially on the late hunt. Are there places where that would be effective?

• Like 1

I second wildwoody. Sowats, Indian hollow, jump up. If the weather is right they will be out rutting and moving most of the day. If the weather is warm they could still be in the pines but you should not have any trouble finding a decent buck.

• Like 2

Congratulations. That was my first choice hunt but I drew my 2nd choice which is fine by me.

Scout as much as you can and hunt hard and I think you will be fine.

I totally understand the thought of a guide, but it's your choice. I personally would rather gather the Intel I can, scout, and hunt hard. If you get a good one your success will be even sweeter.

Most of the guides do a basic scouting package. Pros of a scouting package is alot of basic information that will help your 2 scouting trips. Con is they sell more than just to you.