Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

I drew 12aw late hunt.

Same here. If you know you'll be able to stay the entire hunt I would backpack in assuming conditions would allow and glass til your eyes bleed.

I dont believe Ive ever heard of anyone backpacking on the Kaibad especially on the late hunt. Are there places where that would be effective?

I have no idea. Ive never stepped foot there. All I know I'd if I got that tag im hiking a lot.

Congrats! Good hunt. If you have 4 days prior, a couple weekends before, and the entire hunt, you should be able to put a good buck on the ground. Saying you will get a 200" buck might be a bit misleading. Those caliber of deer, even on the Kaibab, are not that common. They are there, but not behind every tree. I would think a 180"-190" is doable if you are selective and hunt hard. And you could very well find a 200+" buck.

Be prepared for every condition. Could be 50s and sunny, or 0° and snow (pray for this weather). Could rain too. Unless there is a brutal snow weeks prior to the hunt, bucks will still be both high and low. Also, rut might not be in full swing yet. It wasn't 2 years ago. We saw plenty of solo bucks. But they should be starting to check for hot does.

Be prepared for shots between 20 to 800 yards. Make sure you have excellent glass and tripods. Practice, practice, practice.

If you get a few weekends, learn the roads! Look for deer, but don't worry if you don't see big bucks. If it is windy, deer will stay in the thick stuff. When it quits....they will come out like rats on a sinking ship. Watch precipitation. If it is dry, water will still be a viable attraction to the deer.

Shoot all coyotes you see. And buy a lion tag too.

Hunt hard, and most of all, have fun!

• Like 5

Yeah, no need for a guide if youre a confident hunter IMO. The 4 days prior will be crucial if youve never hunted it. Just spend time poking around the low country.

My mom drew it with 0pts this year as well.

• Like 1

I have been on the late hunt 6 or 7 times and about that many times on the early hunt. IMO it is not always the snow the pushes the deer down. 4 years ago I had the hunt and it was brutally cold but only small little snow patches here and there in the shade. There was zero fresh deer sign up top or the mid level. Down low is where the deer were. Every place up high had water but it was frozen solid and we could not break it with big rocks. I have seen this two different times and both times the deer move down low where they can water.

Biggest deer I have ever seen has been on the early hunt up high. Down low is much better for glassing but there are hunters on every point. Fun hunts for sure if you like to see lots of animals. It was surprising for me to see so many people who shoot small/young bucks on the both the early and late hunt.

• Like 2

So been going crazy with me knowing i drew this tag. Spent two days up there already and got some good driving in and pretty much drove the whole unit. Not every road but drove unit from top to bottom and west and east. Other than learning the unit a bit what else do you guys recommend for the late hunt

Since you have the late hunt I would look more in the cedars and maybe some on the points leading to the transition zone. Some deer can be up high during the late hunt, but they're usually on the points getting ready to bale off. If I was you right now I would go low in the cedars and find side roads that have good glassing spots off of them. I would mark those spots on my gps so that you can find them again. Also down low you might get an idea where the trick tanks are in case it's a dry hunt. If it's dry the deer will be hitting them and hanging in the general area. Good luck on your hunt. Great tag.

I got that tag too, and as good of a Glasser and Hunter I am, I am confident with 2 scout trips and tips from people I could find a great buck. But I figured the cost of scout trips from the valley and I would probly rent a camper for $500 a week time missed from work, I'M half paid for a guide. So I did just that. Plus I will be 62, ndon't want the hassle of setting everything up at camp.Now all I have to do is get in shape. and have help getting a Buck out too of the woods.. Can't allways count on buddies now days, and the fact I will probly never draw the tag again. Easy decision....Good Luck on Your hunt. I can't wait Even us older Guys get excited! Gonna Be FUN...............BOB!

• Like 3

If you do go the guide route, call Duwayne Adams. He's an awesome guide and a great guy.

+10 on Duwayne. I believe he also will work with you on “scouting reports” as opposed to fully guided...but it sound like you may be good on scouting if you have the full hunt plus days ahead. Give Duwayne a call anyway...he gave me a lot of helpful pointers for my early 12aw hunt a few years ago in just a phone call. Very friendly and helpful.
  • Like 1

I had the early hunt in 12aw a few years ago. Up High there are lots of roads and rd hunters. Hike a little, get away from the norm and glass. Youll be surprised whats out there and how lazy people are. I Imagine down low is the same as up high Good luck.

Awesome Hunt! Best advice I can give is Don't let the number of hunters and guides discourage you. Just do your thing.. best scouting is just before the hunt. And frigging cold is spot on. Good luck!