Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Late hunt vs early hunts (what do you do different)

What do you guys do different between an October coues hunt and an early December hunt? We have mainly drawn October tags and this year both kids have 34A early December. The deer will have been hunted hard by the time we go in there. Plus, scouting in September might not help as much. Thanks, Jim

In October I pack sunscreen.

In December I pack a coat and gloves.

Thats about it, especially early Dec vs October.

• Like 8

I way more attention to the wind in December. When's it's freezing cold and the wind is howling, tough it out and glass into the wind. All the deer are on the calm hillsides.

• Like 1

What flatlander said and firstcouse

• Like 1

Hey Jim, I actually have a early tag for that unit and I'll let you know what i see around there.

One tip I would say in dec and jan is to keep an eye on the back trail of does as they cross the country side. I've seen bucks come out get on the trails of even fast moving does even after the does are quite a bit down the trail. They'll come out and take a whiff of the trails and sometimes will start tracking them down trail. It's not something I usually see any other times of the year.

Thanks again for the gear and if you need another set of eyes out there come dec just let me know.

DuWayne

• Like 2