bigsky2

Kaibab Archery

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. I figure we probably stay in the heart of where were hunting but its always nice to have a good place to go if we get miserable

Crazy thing is that I walked into the lodge and saw a painting of my Great Great Grandpa on the wall. Then the light switch turned on in my head, Jacobs Lake was named after him. Ohhhh boy

• Like 1

Crazy thing is that I walked into the lodge and saw a painting of my Great Great Grandpa on the wall. Then the light switch turned on in my head, Jacobs Lake was named after him. Ohhhh boy

So do you have the cookie recipes?!

• Like 3

I wish, Im still trying to find the recipe for the Jagerschnitzel steak with juniper berries they serve there at the lodge.

I wish, Im still trying to find the recipe for the Jagerschnitzel steak with juniper berries they serve there at the lodge.

Whaaaaat??? Make that 11 lbs

• Like 1

Whaaaaat??? Make that 11 lbs

Ol favorite was made with venison heart Ive been told

Does anyone have an update on the fire on the plateau? I'm just trying to figure out exactly where its at and how it might affect my hunt so I can plan accordingly.

Well I don't want to be one of those guys to ask for info and then you never hear from them again, so I'll let you know how my hunt went. We got down to the Kaibab on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend and the place was a zoo. Not being used to hunting in areas with so many roads, it took a while to adjust to. You keep thinking, "there wouldn't be a big buck there because there's a road right there". Well we finally got it through our heads that there are roads everywhere, so its inevitable that there will be big bucks living right next to roads. We seemed to spend the first few days doing a lot of driving around looking for spots, not that we are road hunters but when you have never been to an area and aren't seeing bucks off the road and cant glass much then its kind of hard to know where to start going for walks in the timber. I had got a lot of recommendations for water holes to check out beforehand, but it rained every day we were down there except for the first day. There were puddles everywhere so hunting water was a waste of time. Out of curiosity we did check out some guzzlers the first few days (we don't have them in MT so I wanted to see how they worked). I had heard the stories of trail cameras but it didn't really hit me until I saw them at every guzzler and trick tank we checked. I had actually never seen a trail camera in the field (besides my own) so it was crazy to see them everywhere down there.  It was really green with feed everywhere so the deer didn't have to move much. We talked to the game warden for about an hour and he said the conditions are about as tough as they get. He said harvest success will be down this year and if it continued to rain the early rifle success would be way down as well. After people started clearing out after the holiday weekend we started seeing more deer. On Monday evening my dad spotted two big bucks together, one a 185+ buck and the other a big 3 point that was 30" wide, around 170. I looked for them for a few days but we couldn't turn them up again. I ended up seeing 32 bucks in that drainage with a couple I would shoot. I had some close calls but couldn't seal the deal. We never saw the same bucks twice. It seemed they would only come out in the open every once in a while and spent the majority of their time in the new growth aspen where you couldn't see them. 

Even with all the hunters driving around, I only saw one other person when I was off the road. Unfortunately it was on my last morning to hunt, and he ended up blowing out the bucks I was hunting. Even with the hunting being so tough, I look forward to drawing the tag again. A guy just needs more than a week if he's never been to the area. At least I will have an idea where to start next time, and hopefully the conditions will be a little better. I still had a good time, the Kaibab is a special place. Its really cool that AZ has places they manage for mule deer, I wish MT cared about our mule deer the way AZ does. Thanks again to everyone who was willing to share info with me.

P.S. The food at Jacob Lake was just as good as everyone said!

• Like 8

Good of you to et back on here. I hope you draw again and have a great time. I have not hunted Kaibab since 1997 rifle and 2001 for archery. That is a special place tho. 

17 hours ago, wildwoody said:

My buddy shot a giant, hope I get this hunt next year..

You know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen.😁  Thanks for sharing Bigsky. Good read

I know, but I also know the other rules no posting until water marked. I'm trying