Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Fire Restrictions Coming to an End!

Effective Wednesday (7/11) at 8:00 AM Coconino National Forest will be lifting all fire restrictions! I'm sure the rest will be shortly behind. Thank goodness for the rain!!!

I know we aren't out of the woods yet, so please continue to be smart and safe, but I'd also like to give a huge shout out to our forest, wildlife, and firefighting agencies for doing what I consider to be a pretty amazing job this year. This year had the makings to be a terrible fire season, but these groups did such great work and seemed to have such a great plan that every fire that popped up got jumped on and out fast. Well done!!!

Likewise, amazing work by many organization like the Arizona Elk Society for trucking in hundreds of thousands of gallons of water to our wildlife. I think we once again showed that NOONE loves and cares more about our wildlife than hunters.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD586542

Coconino NF to lift fire restrictions, area closures Wednesday

Release Date: Jul 9, 2018

Contact(s): Coconino National Forest, 928.527.3600

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., July 9, 2018, For Immediate Release – Coconino National Forest will lift all fire restrictions and area closures this Wednesday (7/11) at 8 a.m. due to the recent increase in moisture and humidity, as well as the decreasing fire danger across the entire forest and a forecast of more rain over the next 10 days.

The National Weather Service predicts increased moisture for the region over the next seven to 10 days, with 1-2 inches of rain accumulation predicted during this period. This will continue to significantly reduce the fire danger over the next couple of days, allowing for the complete rescission of restrictions and closures on Wednesday.

Campgrounds across the forest will be open, but some require reservations through www.recreation.gov and may temporarily have limited water and other services, so check the status of your particular campground before heading out by contacting the district office of where the campground is located. District office contact information can be found online at www.CoconinoNationalForest.us.

In addition to temporary limitations at campgrounds, access and reservations to Fossil Creek may also be limited for a short time while operations return to normal. The public can purchase a daily permit through www.recreation.gov (search "Fossil Creek Wild and Scenic River") or by calling (877) 444-6777. Permits will be available through September 30. During monsoon season the road into Fossil Creek may be closed due to wet weather; if this happens permit holders will be issued a refund. The status of Fossil Creek can be checked by calling the Fossil Creek Hotline at (928) 226-4611, where updates will be provided as received.

Coconino National Forest entered Stage 1 Fire Restrictions on April 27 and moved to Stage 2 on May 4, eventually implementing area closures on May 23 for specific high risk areas.

• Like 2

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Not that I really care about the fires so much but I'm happy to see that they will open up the forests. Some of the areas I like to camp have been closed.

• Like 1

and SHOW LOW FIRE DPT POSTED THIS MONDAY NIGHT.....

We are still in Stage 3 Fire Restrictions.

***Stage 3 Restrictions will remain in place at this time***

Despite consistent rain reaching some communities, extreme drought conditions still present EXTREME fire danger.

Lightning fires also remain a threat as we’ve seen multiple starts over the last week.

Please remain vigilant and follow all restrictions and closures!

Show Low is part of the Apache-Sitgreaves national forest, not Coconino. But I would expect to see those lifted in the next couple of weeks.

Still have the danger of fire.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD586555

Firefighters busy across the Coconino NF
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., July 9, 2018, For Immediate Release — Firefighters across all three districts of the Coconino National Forest have chased more than 40 lightning strikes since Friday.
The multiple lightning strikes from monsoon rains since Friday have resulted in 35 named fire across the forest. The largest was a fully suppressed fire Saturday near the Painted Desert, the 100-acre Black Fire on state land adjacent to the forest.
Currently two fires are burning, the first is the 30-acre Reese Fire north of the San Francisco Peaks which has multiple resources and aircraft conducting suppression operations. The second, the 38-acre Wood Fire on the south rim of Woods Canyon which has little activity and smoke because of rain over the fire. The thunderstorm activity on the Wood Fire has caused firefighters to keep the fire in monitor status ensuring firefighter safety.
Motorists in the area of Interstate 17, U.S. Highway 180 and U.S. Highway 89 should be cautious and aware of smoke, low flying aircraft, as well as first responder traffic.

The white mountain fire restriction group meets on mondays each week to discuss the health and status of the forest and communities. Yesterday’s email stated no change so far due to sparse rain received. I agree that it’s coming soon. Better to hold off for a bit and not take any chances is my $0.02

• Like 1

**UPDATE** THIS AFFECTS NAVAJO AND APACHE COUNTIES AND FORESTS

Holbrook, AZ – Navajo County, as well as partnering counties, cities, towns and National Forests, will jointly lift fire restrictions throughout the region today at 3 p.m.

State Forestry will be lifting all restrictions tomorrow morning, and the Fort Apache Agency will be returning to Stage 1 Restrictions tomorrow as well. For a full list of restrictions, visit www.firerestrictions.us.

The arrival of seasonal storms has saturated the region and lowered fire risks to a moderate level.

“We are confident this is the right time to lift fire restrictions,” Navajo County Emergency Manager Catrina Jenkins said. “We have enough moisture and saturation throughout the forest to help manage any potential fire threat.”

• Like 1