Millhouse

Electrician Needed - North Peoria

Well, our house seems to have lost partial power. Only a few random lights work and even fewer outlets. Spread across multiple breakers. Checked all breakers.

Open to suggestions.

Do you have good voltage at the main breaker? Where at in Peoria are you located

• Like 1

I had the same problem and I had an outlet short out

Lights and receps should be on separate breakers, sounds like they lost a 110VAC leg and have one of the breaker sides dead. Try turning off the main breaker to reset it and turn it back on. If that doesn't work turn off some breakers on the left side of the panel and see if any lights or receps turn off if not then try the same thing on the right side.

If you know someone with a meter they can remove the panel front and see if there is 120VAC on each leg before and after the main which will tell you if it is lost at the breaker or at the utility side.

Check the breaker feeding the sub panel.

• Like 3

Turned the main off and on for both panels. We have a couple breakers that are still feeding power on both sides of the sub panel.

I just had a very similar problem at our house in North Peoria this past Friday. We live at 79th ave and south of Happy Valley rd. Ended having to install all new breakers in our panel. Electrician said 3 or 4 were bad but it was better to go ahead and replace them all because the house is 18 years old and they would eventually need to be replaced. I feel like I took it in the shorts but I know nothing about electrical issues.

It does sound like a neutral. I would take a guess that there might have been some remodeling done to it over the years, possible 14/2 wire run off of a 20amp outlet somewhere? Got burnt?

I would run to Depot and grab a 5dollar GFCI outlet tester and start there.

Sounds like you lost a leg on the supply side for the power company. On your panel the left side is 1,3,5,7 etc. and the right side is 2,4,6,8,etc.(top to bottom). 1,2 are one phase, 3,4 are another phase. The way to get 240 volts is both phases like 1,3 or 3,5 or 2,4 or 4,6, a two pole breaker. If you try to get 240 on 1,5 or 2,6 you won't because it is the same phase. Just like if there is a three wire sharing a neutral the supplies have to be on different phases.

Get a multi tester for voltage and where the two mains come into the house you should have somewhere around 120 volts between one phase and neutral, close to the same reading on the other phase, and somewhere around 240 volts phase to phase. One time on a three phase building they lost everything on B phase due to a bird becoming a crispy critter and popping a fuse on the power company side.

• Like 1

I had the same problem and I had an outlet short out

Lights and receps should be on separate breakers, sounds like they lost a 110VAC leg and have one of the breaker sides dead. Try turning off the main breaker to reset it and turn it back on. If that doesn't work turn off some breakers on the left side of the panel and see if any lights or receps turn off if not then try the same thing on the right side.

If you know someone with a meter they can remove the panel front and see if there is 120VAC on each leg before and after the main which will tell you if it is lost at the breaker or at the utility side.

Check the breaker feeding the sub panel.

It also depends on the age of the house. I have worked on old houses where all the home runs were brought into the lighting box in the ceiling and split from there. We also wire houses in all #12, except smokies and dedicated circuits like dryer and range, so if we have to pick up a light we can. Like bedroom 2 and 3 will be one circuit wth four receps and one light per room to stay within the 10 outlet rule. In commercial all the receps are separated from the lighting.

Just changed out a pedestal that had a meter clip go bad, did you ever check with APS to check the meter, could be lots of things, your electrician will getter fixed.

• Like 1

I just had a very similar problem at our house in North Peoria this past Friday. We live at 79th ave and south of Happy Valley rd. Ended having to install all new breakers in our panel. Electrician said 3 or 4 were bad but it was better to go ahead and replace them all because the house is 18 years old and they would eventually need to be replaced. I feel like I took it in the shorts but I know nothing about electrical issues.

You got hosed. In 40+ years I have only had to replace less than 5 bad breakers.

• Like 4