Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Layering for cold weather

Layering materials have come a long way. What is working for you guys? I have two cold weather fall hunts to gear up for, 8500-5500 feet in elevation. I did the huge cabelas Alaskan jacket decades ago on an elk hunt and dang near overheated in it anytime we moved. Here lately I've been layering with cotton (undershirt, thermal, longsleeve button up, and hoodie). Mostly just to get threw the morning bite then it comes off and ends up in my backpack.

Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

I have invested in the Kuiu stuff and like it. It works for me. I wear bargain merino wool base layers (Core 4 Element). I have the Kuiu zip off wool bottoms if colder (love the zip off concept). My mid-layer is a First Lite hoody and/or the Kuiu Peloton 240 full zip. Outer layer is the Kuiu Superdown or the Kenai jacket. These have tremendous warmth to weight ratio. You don't even know these are in your pack.

• Like 1

Its pretty rare I wear much more than a hoody here in AZ. Even on december hunts, its tough to wear it for more than an hour after light.

I just get tired of putting it on and taking it off every time I walk.

NO COTTON! Have you heard the statement "cotton kills" I put cotton in the same class as Vortex

my current go 2 is badlands base layers, scent killer suit, and a wool vest with wind blocker. 5 years now worked great in December -January hunts without any issues. ill usually wear a short sleeve shirt too incase I get something or take off after something I can strip layers quick and go.

December hunts can be tricky. I have been on some that are 50s and sunny, or single digit and snow, or 30s and rain. Pack for all conditions and you will be fine.

I too wear cotton. I get it. Cotton gets wet, it becomes an evap cooler on you. But, AZ is not MN or WI, where you actually have a chance of falling through a river/creek/pond/bog and getting wet very often. Even trudging through knee to waist high snow is extremely rare.

I am a fan of Kuiu gear too. Lightweight, well made, not outrageous expensive for what you get.

My layering system:

If it is ridiculously cold (I hate being cold):

Poly/wool base pants

Jean's or Carhartts

Kuiu Guide Pants or Yukon rain pants

Light or Mid weight wool socks and good boots (usually non-insulated unless it is very cold and we plan on sitting a lot)

Poly/wool base layer upper (I have a bunch of Sitka/UA/Military issue)

Cotton LS tee

Any combo of the following depending on how cold: (all of these are windproof, a huge benefit in my opinion)

Kuiu Guide Vest

Kuiu Guide Jacket

Kuiu Chinook Jacket

Kuiu Teton down jacket

Kuiu Yukon Rain Jacket

Poly fleece or Wool beanie

• Like 1

Under armour base layers from 2.5 to 4.0 a t shirt Carhartt pants and a Carhartt heavy sweatshirt. It's worked for Nov and Dec hunts in AZ and for many 12 and 14 hr shifts in North Dakota at -35.

• Like 1

Filson wool long johns, top or bottom. And Filson wool gloves. With regular camo hunting long-sleeve t-shirt and pants. I remove or wear one and/or both depending upon conditions. Filson wool jac-shirt. Wool gets heavy but this stuff is actually pretty light and packable. Expensive too :-( but I've had it for years so it lasts. I've tried synthetic over and over again but it is often just as expensive, doesn't last, and is very noisy. Once I went to light weight wool I have never gone back.

• Like 1

Don't wear cotton. I got caught in a freak November snowstorm in the Gila and in 3 hours walking back to camp I got hypothermia. It took 3 hours to go 1 1/2 miles because it was a complete whiteout with the 30mph winds blowing the snow off the plains and I could only walk from fence post to fence post to get back. My jeans were so embedded with snow and ice the only thing that moved were the knees. They stood by themselves like they were majorly starched. I had to cut the laces off my boots and my first jacket due to ice and snow. I was 15 at the time so this would have been in 1982.

60 degrees and raining with a wind can cause hypothermia, a dropping of the body core. It doesn't have to be arctic temperatures so please don't wear cotton.

• Like 1

Don't wear cotton. I got caught in a freak November snowstorm in the Gila and in 3 hours walking back to camp I got hypothermia. It took 3 hours to go 1 1/2 miles because it was a complete whiteout with the 30mph winds blowing the snow off the plains and I could only walk from fence post to fence post to get back. My jeans were so embedded with snow and ice the only thing that moved were the knees. They stood by themselves like they were majorly starched. I had to cut the laces off my boots and my first jacket due to ice and snow. I was 15 at the time so this would have been in 1982.

60 degrees and raining with a wind can cause hypothermia, a dropping of the body core. It doesn't have to be arctic temperatures so please don't wear cotton.

At 15, that is understandable. But, and I could be mistaken, I bet MOST adult hunters pay attention to the projected forecast, and are usually somewhat prepared. I have been on the 15 side of this too.

Also, the weather service and technology are far more accurate today. A "freak" storm is rare if you pay attention to those reports and your surroundings. I have had very fast moving storms roll in, no doubt about it. But I knew there was a chance, so I was prepared. Just got here way faster than expected. I have even had reports that rain would hit by noon, and at 10AM, not a cloud in the sky. Sure enough, it was pouring by noon.

"Cotton kills" if you are unprepared with proper outer wear/base layers or a lack of respect for Mother Nature.

Stupidity (or inexperience/ignorance) kills just as fast as cotton, if not faster. Not saying anyone is stupid, so don't even start.

• Like 1

Love kuiu , love it warm and light weight and packs away tiny.

• Like 2

At 15, that is understandable. But, and I could be mistaken, I bet MOST adult hunters pay attention to the projected forecast, and are usually somewhat prepared. I have been on the 15 side of this too.

Also, the weather service and technology are far more accurate today. A "freak" storm is rare if you pay attention to those reports and your surroundings. I have had very fast moving storms roll in, no doubt about it. But I knew there was a chance, so I was prepared. Just got here way faster than expected. I have even had reports that rain would hit by noon, and at 10AM, not a cloud in the sky. Sure enough, it was pouring by noon.

"Cotton kills" if you are unprepared with proper outer wear/base layers or a lack of respect for Mother Nature.

Stupidity (or inexperience/ignorance) kills just as fast as cotton, if not faster. Not saying anyone is stupid, so don't even start.

I was with my Dad, Uncle and Co-Worker of my Dad. We listened to the weather forecast. I left from camp, Wayne was dropped off, and my Dad took the Jeep across the plains to what would be NM Unit 16D. The morning was blue skies no wind awesome sunrise, about 10 it was grey skies, about 10:15 I turned around because it was starting to snow, by 10:30 it was whiteout conditions and a 30mph wind. The storm was so bad my Dad came to camp to unlock the camper before going to get Wayne as he knew where he was, no idea where I was. So we were not unprepared or not listening to the am radio station as some assume. Nobody predicted this storm.

January Barbary Sheep hunt by Mount Taylor two months later we knew the weathermen were predicting a small storm with 2"-4" of snow. Went to bed with a star filled night, no moon. The next morning there was 14" of snow on the ground and still snowing. Chained up the front of the Jeep and we went hunting. 9 am we chained up the back also and were the only vehicle moving on the mountain. Of course we had our snowmobile suits that we used for sledding/tubing so we looked like giant bananas walking around the mountain. They were in the camper for the November hunt as well so I guess it was my youth and inexperience that I was unprepared.

I use some cotton as well as synthetic on Sept. bow hunts. Would I use what I use in Sept. for the January hunt? No because cotton and especially wet cotton has no insulation value. You point out the change in weather forecasting, well clothing has changed as well.

I dont use cotton because it doesnt dry fast (at all) you can be sweating hard and sit down to glass and your dry in 10 to 15 minutes with good base layers, that moisture can get you chilled when its cold out and its a lot harder to get warm again. I am a back packer for the most part so your mileage may vary. cotton=vortex

Good stuff fellas. So it looks like core 4 is no longer in business, so that's off the table.

Saw some Onca gear from Spain at timber Mesa last night. Anyone try this line before?