azstyle58

Backpacks

No pack and a knife was the way to go back in the day with your 7x35 tasko's and your 3x9 Bushnell scope. Everything you shot was only 200yrds away, easy pack out. Anyway I sent in a small zillion pocket bandlands pack the other day do to zipper problems. Just received the brand new style 2200 pack in return.. I am now totally sold on badlands. Oh and some jerky and granola bars in your pocket.

I Hunt with a badlands 2200 have for years its a great pack, Picked by a Eberlestock X2 last year have been using it for scouting, think it would be nice for hunting tho as well.

• Like 1

Eberlestock X2 is a good choice for a day pack...and can pack out a quarter. Return with the frame pack and a couple buddies to get the rest.

• Like 1

I've owned a lot of packs, horn hunter, badlands, outdoorsmans, eberlestock, and some cabelas branded packs. Save your time and and money in the long run and get a kifaru frame and bag of your choice. I have the 26" hunter frame equipped with an exo 3500. Love this system!

But depending on your budget my next choice would be the outdoorsmans, then the horn hunter full curl.

Hope you pick the right one for you!

Badlands 2200 is what I use. Works great for an Arizona elk tag. Tons of usable space. You're never anywhere deep here to warrant bringing everything and the kitchen sink.

• Like 1

Archermatt told me he'd be selling one of his packs that he only used on a scouting trip, I believe its the new Sitka bivy 30 for $250

Kifaru. You won't ever need another pack.

• Like 1

Check out Crooked Horn Outfittters packs. Very well built, designed by a hunter, and well thought out.

I hunt with a Badlands day pack... With that being said , all this awesome gear isnt really needed. If you can afford it , buy it! If you cant afford it you will be fine.Work with what ya got. I've hunted with lots of successful hunters who dont have 300 dollar back packs. If you dont mind spending some good coin take a look at all the brands some of the posters recommended. Popular back pack manufacturers are:

Badlands

Kuiu

Kirafu

Eberlstock

Outdoorsman

There are probably traditional bow hunters and Native Americans who still use basket type backpacks, I kid you not.

Really comes down to what fits and feels good (under load). I have the Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 and absolutely love it! Ran an Eberlstock X2 prior and like it as well, but wanted something more suited to caring a load.

Well here are my experiences with packs. Used the badlands 2200. It is OK but I carried half a WT deer and my gear out a few miles one day and didn't really care for the internal frame. I've since changed to the Kuiu 1850 icon pro and it is a much better pack when you add weight to the pack. You can also add different bags. I've got the 5200 bag. Haven't used the 5200 yet but will this fall on a CO backpack MD hunt. I also like the gun attachment. It keeps the gun secure to the pack and I have my hands free.

Last year for archery elk I used this pack. I really liked it. 2 pockets and a water bladder. If you need more room for archery elk you are bringing to much crap. Leave something in camp. https://www.amazon.com/Unigear-Tactical-Hydration-Backpack-Climbing/dp/B07BT3V8MP/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532382989&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=backpack+hydration+pack+camo&psc=1

So here is my theory for most elk hunting in this state. You are normally going back to camp (or at least calling camp) for help. Then a group is going to head back in and take the animal apart. So why would I carry game bags, knives, saws, tarps, ect around for days? I don't. Basically I carry my phone (which is a spare light, maps, GPS, ect) then I carry a GPS, normal light, spare batteries, flagging tape, water in the bladder, 2 granola bars. DONE. I don't even carry a knife. I leave all of that stuff in my "kill bag" back at camp. I let someone at camp know where my bag is and then they can get it if I call them. Normally I leave it in my truck. I'm a really big fan of keeping my pack super, super light and covering some ground. Now if I had a hunt that required a tripod and spotting scope. I would bring a bit bigger pack.

When I go in for WT deer I would use my 1850 and bring game bags and a knife.

• Like 1

Clearly, to each his own, whether you carry a full backpack or just a knife in your pocket, but I carry a mid-sized hunting backpack anticipating needing/wanting everything in it, or not wanting to be out in the woods w/out it.

Like Recurve"dude" I too have a badlands 2200, however mine is the original/old style (unlike those we see for sale today). I really like it for day hunts, but I typically carry enough to stay out the entire day if my morning's "escapades" have taken me far enough away from the truck that it makes sense to stay put for the evening hunt. That said, I also carry just enough to stay the night if an emergency/tracking etc. takes me there, which it has several times... and having the right stuff to bivy a night in the forest is cool! & it doesn't have to weigh that much either.

So, here's my list:

• tag/license/driver license in it's own "orange" separate pouch as I do not carry a wallet
  • phone (on "airplane mode")
  • compass
  • GPS
  • Garmin Inreach (I finally picked one up because I'm usually not in cell service range where I hunt)
  • "blood-trailing" flashlight and small headlamp, perhaps extra batteries
  • matches/lighter
  • knife and small steel
  • plastic gloves
  • TP (don't leave your truck without it!)
  • first aid "stuff"
  • water (2L CamelBak, plus a small water bottle). I also "hydrate" before I leave the truck, especially in the morning. For an evening hunt I may not refill the CamelBak and often pull the water bottle out.
  • a lunch (i.e. bagel/ham sandwich perhaps, fruit, granola bar-type stuff, chips or something salty, and an "evening snack" that typically stays there for days)
  • small 5x5 "tarp" and/or lightweight rain jacket, but only if weather is predicted
  • some rope, perhaps 10-20'
  • one large deer-sized game bag to help w/hanging quarters (weighs basically nothing, but is a huge help,,,,,,
  • 2 large (hefty 6mil) trash bags (can be used for many things)
  • flagging tape

This may look like a lot, but it's actually lighter than my bow & arrows when you remove the water and food "stuff", which is depleted as the day wears on. The 2200 leaves a lot of room for clothes I shed as it gets warmer outside, plus you can carry out backstraps etc. with all of the rest when you're out for the day.

I didn't include my calls, small binocks, rangefinder, or bow etc., but that goes w/out saying and I carry that on me outside of my pack. Few other minor things too...

Back in my "kill bag", next to my external frame pack, I keep more rope, a small come-along and heavy duty game bags (cotton/canvas style), another knife, bone saw, and a cpl cheesecloth-type game bags (used/washed from previous years). The champagne is on ice along with bacon for the elk steaks back in the trailer! ;)

This is what works for myself, but to each his own.

If you have the funds, get a Kifaru. Going to the higher end packs has made a huge difference in comfort. I used to own eberlestock and badlands and thought they were good enough. When I decided to see what all the hype was with the higher end packs, it was apparent that they do live up to the hype. The custom fitment and bag options is where it is at. Kifaru is a top notch company with probably the best customer service in the industry. They are American made with quality components. I would highly recommend getting a kifaru, Exo or Stone Glacier and not looking back. Expensive investment, but it is just that, an investment in comfort.

If you have the funds, get a Kifaru. Going to the higher end packs has made a huge difference in comfort. I used to own eberlestock and badlands and thought they were good enough. When I decided to see what all the hype was with the higher end packs, it was apparent that they do live up to the hype. The custom fitting and bag options is were it is at. Kifaru is a top notch company with probably the best customer service in the industry. American made with quality components. I would highly recommend getting a kifaru, Exo or Stone Glacier and not looking back. Expensive investment, but it is just that, an investment in comfort.

Well said. I'm a firm believer in "getting what you pay for." Having said that however, the "good enough" comment was key here for me when I picked up the Badlands. Let me clarify why I like the 2200 and don't need something like a Kifaru.

The Badlands 2200 pack, when I picked it up 10 years ago, was about half-off the regular price, and given I only needed a "day pack", it was what I needed at the time. After using if for a cpl years, I realized it was worth full-price as I really like the features, size, and material the old 2200s had on them (quiet when brushing up against something).

For carrying a lot of weight I have different choices however. For starters, I have an "old" Gerry internal frame pack, purchased almost 40 years ago, which is still very comfortable, & zippers still work good too! Note I've carried an extreme amount of weight in the Gerry over the years with as much "adjustability and comfort" that one could reasonably expect (carrying in excess of 150# at one time on one hunt). I also use an external packframe (welded Kelty) for packing out as it's easy to strap things on (I installed a "shelf" on it) yet still relatively comfortable. Note I started doing this in the late 70s, and Kelty/Gerry were the best to meet hunting/backpacking needs IMO at the time. North Face back then was primarily backpacking and not as easily adaptable to hunting needs.

Whatever you do, rest assured that you're going to get what you pay for. With the three packs that I have, I don't need a single do-all pack however. Funny, now that I think about it, I've spent more $s on my 3 backpacks combined as I'd spend nowadays on one Kifaru or Stone Glacier backpack!

So, in the end... either buy a few packs to meet different uses/needs, one great pack to meet all your needs, or hunt with others that have great backpacks and let them carry all the weight when you kill something! You may have to listen to them brag, but that'd probably be worth it! haha

I love my elbertsock mainframe pack. Can carry a quarter and fits like a daypack. Only complaint is the shelf on the frame gets in the way when climbing downhill through rocky terrain.