Born2hunt

Fishing near Santa Fe?

Im making a trip north of Santa Fe soon up into the area above Terrero soon. Im doing some research into the area for good fishing (both for me to hike in and also places more kid friendly). Does anyone out there have experience with the area, and anywhere youd recommend trying?

I have a friend who guides different waters around Taos if you want to go that route.

Good luck, the Pecos was a trickle before the rains started. Hopefully the flows picked up. My cousin runs the fish hatchery in Pecos. Stop by and say hi.

NM_Norteno on here owns a guide shop in SF and all of Northern NM is his backyard. The quality waters on the Pecos should be good.

My favorite river is in Twining canyon headed up to Taos Ski Valley. Great for kids. (My childhood backyard).

Thanks thats a lot of good info Im glad I reached out! I have the Reel Life on my list of calls to make before I go hopefully they know the latest. I think the forest has been closed until this last week but hopefully they will have gotten out by now. Ive never been in the area so Im trying to take it all in as fast as I can to make sure I hit the best spots while I can. Planning some hikes too looks like some really nice country. Thanks again!

• Like 1

If you want to hike in try the Mora River and hike into Mora Flats. I grew up in Santa Fe and spent my summers on the streams in the Pecos. Cow Creek was practically my summer home. The problem is it is so crowded now. Las Vegas is not that far and there are some good lakes and streams that you can follow up into the wilderness. Other lakes would be Cochiti, Santa Cruz or Abiquiu.

• Like 1