goinhuntn

Trail cameras

Has anyone read the new law Nevada has passed on trail cameras. No cameras can be set from Aug 1st to Dec 31st. If they are capable of transmitting images or video than they can not be set from July 1st to Dec 31st. For the sake of not starting a huge argument just curious as to what you guys think of the law & if would be acceptable in Arizona? I don't run cameras so doesn't really matter, but I do not like seeing them on every tank I come across.

Has anyone read the new law Nevada has passed on trail cameras. No cameras can be set from Aug 1st to Dec 31st. If they are capable of transmitting images or video than they can not be set from July 1st to Dec 31st. For the sake of not starting a huge argument just curious as to what you guys think of the law & if would be acceptable in Arizona? I don't run cameras so doesn't really matter, but I do not like seeing them on every tank I come across.

I posted a press release about the new Nev. regulation in this thread:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/78730-no-cams-on-water-by-g-fcoming-soon/page-7?do=findComment&comment=804679

Here it is again with the exemptions added at the bottom:

From Nevada Department of Wildlife:

The Nevada Department of Wildlife wants to ensure that all outdoor enthusiasts are aware of the new seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras.

Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate.

Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data. New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras. Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues. The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.

The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31. The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.

NDOW recognizes that there are wholesome and legitimate uses of trail cameras, and unfortunately the use of cameras have been exploited far beyond most sportsmen’s definition of reasonable. If you come across a trail camera on public land from August 1 to December 31, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and consider calling an NDOW office to report its location.

Sincerely,

Nevada Department of Wildlife

These are the only exemptions written in the actual regulation:

2. The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to:

(a) A person who is acting within the scope of his or her official duties, has clearly marked

each trail camera or similar device to be used to indicate ownership and is:

(1) An employee or authorized agent of this State;

(2) An employee of a municipal or county government of this State;

(3) An employee of the Federal Government; or

(4) An employee of any industry or any other person who uses the trail camera or

similar device in consultation with the Department.

(b ) A trail camera or similar device placed, maintained or used on private property with the

permission of the landowner.

(c ) A trail camera or similar device placed, maintained or used to monitor the use by livestock of any water source described in paragraph (b ) of subsection 1 if the owner of the trail camera or similar device is the holder of a permit to appropriate water issued by the State Engineer for the purpose of watering livestock.

I think the law is crap and won't stand up to a challenge butI l like the loop holes. All I have to do is be any person that goes to a G&F meeting to talk with the department about what I am seeing, to give public input and consult with the department and if my camera is marked I am completely legal. I have just started my own non-profit biological study on Bigfoot and am using the cameras to see if I can catch one watering to prove their existence.

Who were the groups lobbying for this law? HSUS or PETA involved in anyway?

In NM, we had several outfitters using cameras that can transmit pics to hunt bears... Basically, put over bait or water and wait for the pics to come thru then head to the area with the dogs... Not wide spread but there is the potential.

Funny you should say that.

Yep, clearly shows they spearheaded the effort... look they're even promoting hunters go find and kill animals on their own!

Where's the posts on that page prior to the reg passing, speaking out against cameras and saying they are pushing for it?

Funny you should say that.

Yep, clearly shows they spearheaded the effort... look they're even promoting hunters go find and kill animals on their own!

Where's the posts on that page prior to the reg passing, speaking out against cameras and saying they are pushing for it?

who said they spearheaded the effort? You have a fallacious style of arguing, kind of like a woman. This post merely demonstrated how the Nevada trail camera ban was supported by anti hunters.

Red- what is the latest on the tag deal? Haven't heard a word since they canned the committee idea. Is the Heritage stamp idea still a dead issue?

You have a fallacious style of arguing, kind of like a woman.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Red- what is the latest on the tag deal? Haven't heard a word since they canned the committee idea. Is the Heritage stamp idea still a dead issue?

They kicked it back to the department to form the committee. From there, they will go through 2 rounds of public comments. I'm not sure if the department will issue their recommendations first or the public will be able to submit recommendations first, but you should be able to submit comments within a few weeks. Nothing is off the table, as the department will review all recommendations and then make a decision.

All trail cameras can transmit images... wifi enabled SD cards make that possible. Welcome to 2018

• Like 1

All trail cameras can transmit images... wifi enabled SD cards make that possible. Welcome to 2018

I'll be damned! How far will they transmit?

209or51.jpg

Was literally going to post same gif! Looked up... real thing.

100' maximum transmission to other wifi capable (smart) device.

N

209or51.jpg

Was literally going to post same gif! Looked up... real thing.

100' maximum transmission to other wifi capable (smart) device.

100' is pretty useless.