Sign in to follow this  
bighit

Kowa or BTX

weight being the main thing, I would say at the moment most will favor the Btx especially with all you can do with it with the different lens and such.

• Like 1

Was in the same boat this year and ended up going with the Kowa's, and have zero regrets of not going with the Swaro.

Was in the same boat this year and ended up going with the Kowa's, and have zero regrets of not going with the Swaro.

dcaa8k.jpg
When did you grow your hair out?
  • Like 2

For me, it came down to cost vs performance. I could see no advantage in the 85mm swaro over the Kowa, but did in the 95mm, due to a 16% larger objective lens, at the very end of usable light. During better lighting, I saw no difference. Thought very hard about going the route of the 95 and 65, for truck and backpacking hunts, but the weight of the 88 Kowa is only 8.9oz heavier than than the 65mm swaro, once eyepieces are accounted for, with the Kowa being noticeably better in my eyes, even before getting dark. As such, I am going a different route for my smaller spotter. If the 65mm swaro, w/eyepiece, had been in the mid 40oz range, it would have been a different decision for me. I did spend some time contemplating going with the 95mm and something other than the 65mm STX, but in the end, decided the differences were minimal enough to warrant saving over $2000 and decided to put that into a custom ling range rifle. If you ever want to look through the Kowa, I would be more than happy to meet up so you can.

I wanted to get my hands on the Zeiss Harpia, but was never able to do so. That would be the only other scope I would consider in that top-tier for 85-95mm scopes.