Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Hunting w/Non-Lead

Just finished listening to Randy's podcast. Good listen. Sounds like the intention was completely scientific and has been CO-opted by the anti's to ban hunting. I posted some links that support that as well. They do say in there that they are still studying however. As one of them says "we've been throwing lead at each other for thousands of years". Why now would birds be dying and not before? Or have they always died but now we care? Don't know the awnser.

Just finished listening to Randy's podcast. Good listen. Sounds like the intention was completely scientific and has been CO-opted by the anti's to ban hunting. I posted some links that support that as well. They do say in there that they are still studying however. As one of them says "we've been throwing lead at each other for thousands of years". Why now would birds be dying and not before? Or have they always died but now we care? Don't know the awnser.

Or do we just now know about it?

While I support the idea of a voluntary program, I feel uneasy about the slippery slope. If hunters passively concede on this issue, will it be greasing the rails that lead this issue to a lead ban.

I know there has been pushes by anti hunting/gun groups to ban lead in ammo, entirely, in the belief that the cost of all copper bullets can have a detrimental impact on the culture of hunters and shooters.

• Like 1

This pretty strong opinion was specifically referring to muzzleloader hunting on Kiabab. Until they make a long range muzzleloader bullet that can compare to this in all copper I'll stick with what I use. Thanks Andy.

No need to get ruffled, I started this thread to allow discussion on the topic. It was surprising to me how polarizing this issue was.

I know before you mentioned that there was conflicting data on this? You mentioned some statistics there, can you share your sources? I really do want to understand the topic better and do my part as a hunter to conserve our ecosystems.

It seems that sources like huntfortruth.org think that this research was put forth by econazis intent on banning hunting. Thats why the podcast with Newberg was so enlightening. I would have otherwise never guessed that the Peregrine Fund was established by hunters and was a partner organization to AES, MDF, etc.

I have learned a lot in the past few weeks and I am happy to say that endeavor started here. We can use CWT to facilitate conservation if we can just stop griping with each other.

So no more hunting or shooting lead .22 or shot shells for you?

This pretty strong opinion was specifically referring to muzzleloader hunting on Kiabab. Until they make a long range muzzleloader bullet that can compare to this in all copper I'll stick with what I use. Thanks Andy.

No need to get ruffled, I started this thread to allow discussion on the topic. It was surprising to me how polarizing this issue was.

I know before you mentioned that there was conflicting data on this? You mentioned some statistics there, can you share your sources? I really do want to understand the topic better and do my part as a hunter to conserve our ecosystems.

It seems that sources like huntfortruth.org think that this research was put forth by econazis intent on banning hunting. Thats why the podcast with Newberg was so enlightening. I would have otherwise never guessed that the Peregrine Fund was established by hunters and was a partner organization to AES, MDF, etc.

I have learned a lot in the past few weeks and I am happy to say that endeavor started here. We can use CWT to facilitate conservation if we can just stop griping with each other.

I dont know about no more, but I certainly will change some habits.

With our first rifle Kaibab hunt in the family coming up this year I will definitely either shoot copper or commit to taking the carcass out whole. Its a doe hunt, so pack out isnt as big of a concern.

When I shoot gophers in MT I wont leave them out on logs for birds to eat.

In all of this I havent read or heard anything about target shooting, so probably wont change that. As far as other big game, I dont do a lot of rifle hunting but when I do, I will consider alternatives to lead.

With our first rifle Kaibab hunt in the family coming up this year I will definitely either shoot copper or commit to taking the carcass out whole. Its a doe hunt, so pack out isnt as big of a concern.

In all of this I havent read or heard anything about target shooting, so probably wont change that. As far as other big game, I dont do a lot of rifle hunting but when I do, I will consider alternatives to lead.

My son had a 12 b tag and his grand father had given him his custom springfield 1903 3006 spr. right before he passed away. That rifle will not shoot copper bullets, but it loves 150 gr accubonds so we brought heavy contractor bags and I put the entire gut pile in it and hauled it off, we didnt leave anything for the condors.

I'm just gonna bring a gallon of gas and burn the gut pile.

Thats straight serial killer stuff right there.

OK SA comment I have been fighting not to make but lost.......I prefer my condors roasted on a spit with orange glaze sauce and lead free.

• Like 1

Im not really sure what this thread,is about but i caught "poison" "bird" "lead" i must agree as i have personally seen thousands of dove die from lead poisoning. 😢

Ok continue!

Adapting to change can be difficult at times and might take a while. For example:

Blackbeard the pirate walked into a tavern, bellied up to the bar and said, "Give me a tankard of ye best grog.

The barkeeper filled his order and said, "Hey, I haven't seen you in a while..What happened? You look terrible."

"What do you mean?" said the Blackbeard, "I'm as fine as the king's fiddle."

"What about the wooden leg? You didn't have that before.."

"Oh that," said the pirate, "We were in a battle, and I got hit with a cannon ball, but I'm fine now."

The barkeeper replied, "Well, OK, but what about that hook? What happened to your hand?"

The pirate explained, "We were in another battle. I boarded a ship and got into a sword fight. Me hand was cut off, so I got fitted with a hook. But I'm fine now, really."

"What about that eye patch?"

"Oh," said the pirate, "One day we were at sea, and a flock of birds flew over. I looked up, and one of them sh!t in me eye."

"You're kidding," said the barkeeper. "Can you lose an eye just from bird sh!t?

"Nae. It was my first day with the hook."

My son had a 12 b tag and his grand father had given him his custom springfield 1903 3006 spr. right before he passed away. That rifle will not shoot copper bullets, but it loves 150 gr accubonds so we brought heavy contractor bags and I put the entire gut pile in it and hauled it off, we didnt leave anything for the condors.

In the real world outside of vodoo science the condoors need to eat gut piles to live. :blink:

What did you eventually do with it?