Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Recommend me some books/novels please

Blood and Thunder. A book about Kit Carson's life

Funny. OP started this thread and i immediately started looking up stuff im interested in which is Indian wars and this book popped up. Spent about 2 hours researching Navajo wars. Might have to order it now

• Like 1

if you enjoy fiction, here's enough reading for the next 10 hunting seasons. :P

The author is C.J. Box and the main character in each title is a somewhat non-conformist Wyoming game warden named Joe Pickett. Except for the short stories listed, it's best to read them in order to keep track of the cast as they are added to the mix.

1.Open Season – When Joe Pickett finds a local hunting outfitter dead, splayed out on the wood-pile behind his state-owned home, he takes it personally. There had to be a reason that the outfitter chose his backyard to die in. Even after the ‘outfitter murders’ are solved, Joe continues to investigate, uneasy with the easy explanation offered by the local police.

2.Savage Run – When a massive blast rocks the forests of Twelve Sleep County, Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett is called to the scene to help investigate the death of a colorful environmental activist. The case is wrapped up quickly, explained as an environmental publicity stunt gone wrong, but Joe isn’t convinced.

3.Winterkill – Joe Pickett’s pursuit of a killer through the rugged mountains of Wyoming takes a horrifying turn when his beloved foster daughter is kidnapped.

4.Trophy Hunt – Local authorities in Twelve Sleep County, Wyoming, are quick to label a rash of animal mutilations as the work of a grizzly bear, but game warden Joe Pickett suspects that something far more sinister is afoot.

5.Dull Knife (short story) – Collected in Shots Fired.

6.Out of Range – When a good friend and fellow warden kills himself, Joe Pickett is chosen to temporarily run his Teton district. But Jackson, Wyoming, is a far cry from Joe’s hometown of Saddlestring.

7.In Plain Sight – Ranch owner and matriarch Opal Scarlett has vanished under suspicious circumstances during a bitter struggle between her sons for control of her million-dollar empire. Joe Pickett is convinced one of them must have done her in.

8.Free Fire – Joe Pickett’s been hired to investigate one of the most cold-blooded mass killings in Wyoming history. Attorney Clay McCann admitted to slaughtering four campers in a back-country corner of Yellowstone National Park. In this remote fifty-square-mile stretch a man can literally get away with murder.

9.Blood Trail – Game wardens have found a man dead at a mountain camp. Is the murder the work of a deranged anti-hunting activist or of a lone psychopath with a personal vendetta? Joe Pickett is the man to track the murderer and stop him, before someone declares open season on humans…

10.Below Zero – Six years ago, Joe Pickett’s foster daughter, April, was supposedly murdered. Now, someone is leaving phone messages claiming to be the dead girl. As his family struggles with the disturbing event, he discovers that the calls have been placed from locations where serious environmental crimes have occurred.

11.Nowhere To Run – It’s Joe Pickett’s last week as a temporary game warden in the mountain town of Baggs, Wyoming, but his conscience won’t let him leave without checking out the strange reports coming from the wilderness: camps looted, tents slashed, elk butchered.

12.Cold Wind – When Earl Alden is found dead, dangling from a wind turbine, his wife, Missy, is arrested. Unfortunately for Joe Pickett, Missy is his much-disliked mother-in-law, and he’s not sure what to do – especially since it looks like Missy is guilty as sin.

13.The Master Falconer (short story) – Collected in Shots Fired.

14.Force Of Nature – In 1995, Nate Romanowski was in a Special Forces unit abroad when his commander, John Nemecek, did something terrible. Now the high-ranking government official and cold-blooded sociopath is determined to eliminate anyone who knows about it – like Nate, who’s hidden himself away in Wyoming’s Bighorn Mountains.

15.Breaking Point – Joe Pickett always liked Butch Roberson – a hardworking local business-owner whose daughter is friends with his own. Little does he know that when Butch says he is heading into the mountains to scout elk, he is actually going on the run.

16.Stone Cold – Everything about the rich stranger is a mystery: the massive, isolated ranch in the remote Black Hills of Wyoming, the women who live with him, the secret philanthropies, the private airstrip, the sudden disappearances. And especially the persistent rumors that the man’s wealth comes from killing people. Joe Pickett is assigned to find out the truth.

17.Endangered – Joe Pickett had good reason to dislike Dallas Cates, and now he has even more – Joe’s daughter, April, has run off with him. And then comes even worse news: She has been found in a ditch along the highway – alive, but just barely, the victim of blunt force trauma. Cates denies having anything to do with it, but Joe knows in his gut who’s responsible.

18.Off The Grid – Nate is off the grid, recuperating from wounds and trying to deal with past crimes, when he is suddenly surrounded by a small team of elite professional special operators. They’re not there to threaten him, but to make a deal. They need help destroying a domestic terror cell in Wyoming’s Red Desert, and in return they’ll make Nate’s criminal record disappear.

19.Vicious Circle – The Cates family had always been a bad lot. Game warden Joe Pickett had been able to strike a fierce blow against them when the life of his daughter April had been endangered, but he’d always wondered if there’d be a day of reckoning. He’s not wondering any longer.

20.The Disappeared – Wyoming’s new governor isn’t sure what to make of Joe Pickett, but he has a job for him that is extremely delicate. A prominent female British executive never came home from the high-end guest ranch she was visiting, and the British Embassy is pressing hard.

• Like 1

Blood and Thunder. A book about Kit Carson's life

Funny. OP started this thread and i immediately started looking up stuff im interested in which is Indian wars and this book popped up. Spent about 2 hours researching Navajo wars. Might have to order it now
Do it. I found it super entertaining and it goes into a fair amount of detail about what the Navajos once were. Every time I read a book like this it makes me think of all the adventures I could of had if I lived back then.

Another along the same lines I think is called "Crazy Horse and Custer". It follows both of their lives up to the point where they meet at Little Bighorn. The Sioux culture back in those times was badass.

Also Arizona Outlaws and Lawman by Marshall Trimble, good book especially about Jim Roberts. The Notorious Luke Short, he was a lawman in Dodge City with Earp and Masterson, didn't get a lot of press but he was a killer. There is a plaque outside of the Oriental Saloon in Tombstone where he killed Charlie Storms.

Guest akaspecials

I second the Ed Abbey suggestion. Desert Solitaire and Monkey Wrench Gang are two of my favorites.

So not exactly on your genre you listed, but read One Second After.

More of a Post Apocalyptic thing- but really about when the power goes out.

I second the audiobooks, get some good earbuds and an extra battery supply. No noise from turning pages, dropping books, keep your eyes on the prize! I even use them for long distance travel, makes the trip go quickly.

The Ben Lilly Legend- By J Frank Dobie.

It's about Lion hunter , Ben Lilly, and his dog pack. Bounty hunting Lions and Bears in the Southwest.

• Like 1

a very funny book by Ross Santee is the Bar X Golf Course.

the fifth hole i think was a par 1,879 from the pleasant valley post office to the the post office in claypool. a 9 day hole if the lions didn't get your horse. what a hoot.

Eagars' own Russell Houston got his inspiration from it.

lee

post-253-0-74035900-1532115157.jpg

is mulepack the caddie?

and thats gotta be edge swinging a driver in the petroglyph.

The Ben Lilly Legend- By J Frank Dobie.

It's about Lion hunter , Ben Lilly, and his dog pack. Bounty hunting Lions and Bears in the Southwest.

J. Frank Dobie has a bunch books out there. They're all good reading.
  • Like 1

Also, it's hard to go wrong with Louis L'Amour.

Have you read any Robert Ruark?

x2 on anything by L'Amour. Also William Johnstone's series' "The 1st Mountain Man" and "The Last Mountain Man", they tie in together. As far as history I really liked The Apache Wars.

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Wars-Geronimo-Captive-American/dp/0770435831

I read it on a fishing trip in Northern Canada while I still lived back east and I loved it, it's 10X better now that I can actually put places to the names.

Stolen World is pretty good too, it's about illegal reptile smuggling in the 60's and 70's

https://www.amazon.com/Stolen-World-Reptiles-Smugglers-Skulduggery/dp/B00AZ82KD2

I own and have read every single one of John Gierach's books on flyfishing, hunting, and life. I highly recommend them for the stories and life lessons. I also read "Elk Whisperer" by Larry Wayne Jones (kind of a John Gierach of elk hunting) a few years ago and it was great. If you want some military history, read Dak To, by Ed Murphy (lives in Mesa). Its about my dad's unit in Vietnam from June-Nov 1967. My dad is in there and, if you look closely, there's an obscure reference to me. Along those lines, Ghost Soldiers is amazing, and from more recent history, The Outpost, Red Platoon, and The Chosen Few are all great books that I had so much trouble putting down. If you love the MWD stories, Top Dog" is a great story about GSD/Mal Lucca.

For fiction, the Stephen Hunter series about Bob Lee Swagger (3 books) and his dad (one book) are great.