Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Anyone else have "cheap" rifles that shoot stupid accurate?

Been having a ton of good conversations/ arguements with buddies about building custom rifles........ and I know many of you have a passion for this.

However, I have 4 rifles that I paid $400 or less for (rifle only) that shoot stupid accurate!

Mounted a 5-25 pst gen II on my $400 savage 270 wsm yesterday and sighted her in.

Last 3 shoots after micro adjustments were two same hole and one touching.... off bipod and my fist as rear support...

my question is why spend the money...My Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM does the samething.

Thoughts?? opinions>>

Whiteypost-2950-0-57829900-1532060518_thumb.jpgpost-2950-0-60350800-1532060562_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Was just talking about this. My buddy bought the cheapest 7mm Remington put a vortex diamondback on it, shooting 130gr cor lokt and his group looked just like that

• Like 1

I've had a few customs but my best 3 shot group @ 100 yds was from a old Savage 340 B in 222 rem with a tasco 6-24x50 shooting factory Hornady varmint ammo with a moly 50 gr v-max. Had a total of $200 into the whole set up.

• Like 1

I have a Thompson Center Venture 270 that consistently shoots groups like that with factory ammo, even ammo from different lots. Sad thing is it’s my wife’s gun, and I’ve had to work very hard to get groups like that with myself sendero.

I've had a few customs but my best 3 shot group @ 100 yds was from a old Savage 340 B in 222 rem with a tasco 6-24x50 shooting factory Hornady varmint ammo with a moly 50 gr v-max. Had a total of $200 into the whole set up.

Our family (my dad purchased it in the 50's) has a Savage 340 in .222 Rem. that shoots 1/4" - 1/2" groups all day long with just about any ammo. I was excited to post this info when I saw the thread. Low and behold, the 3rd post is same/same. LOL

Weatherby Vanguard in .257 weatherby mag.

3x9x40 Redfield scope.

This is with handloads.

The picture of the steel target is at 500yds.

post-592-0-97812600-1532064237_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-36276700-1532064324_thumb.jpg

I wondered this myself. I'm new to the rifle game myself, and I defiantly have my share of expensive hobbies. But also wondered why people spend so much on a gun when so many shoot so good out of the box for a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong its a open ended question. I spend a lot on stuff most probably wouldn't. Defiantly going to be interesting to read everyone's response.

Exactly....

100 yard groups tell very little about the rifle. Shoot some groups at 400-500 yards and then the rifle will talk...

I haven't shot a 100 yard group in over 10 years I bet...

• Like 1

My vice is shooting and guns. So I spend accordingly.

I have some cheap guns that shoot well. They are mainly reserved for loaners. But customs are where I reach when I go shooting or hunting. Smoother actions, built how I want them built, in chamberings I wanted. Look how I want. Triggers that I want. Twist rates that I want. Features that I want. Have scopes that I want. I want my rifles to shoot the bullets that I want. I want those bullets to go where I want them to as far as possible.

Cheap guns can get you there. But the difference is like the following:

Ford Fiesta or Ford GT?

1970 Datsun or Ford F250 Super Duty crew cab 4x4 diesel?

1 man tent or 35' 5th wheel?

Mtn bike or Polaris Ranger?

Schlitz Malt Liquor or a fine wine?

Singlewide trailer or the mansion on the hill?

Tasco or Tangent Theta?

Bologna sammich on Wonderbread or 2" thick USDA Prime ribeye?

Inner tube or 22' Ranger?

Call it vanity, call it wanting the finer things in life, call it blowing your money. Potato, potato. We all have our voices in life. We all have that itch we need to scratch.

• Like 12

I have a Win model 70 in 30-06 that I go that walmart just about 20 years ago that shoots 0.5-0.8moa with 150gr Corloks.

That being said I am getting close to jumping in the custom rifle game because of the "I want" as Lance put it.

Is spending custom rifle money too much? Depends.

Most of us spend money on our passion, likes and desires already anyways. I certainly do not need a nice truck (read expensive) truck....but I like them.

I'm like Lance, guns are my passion. New rifles will be custom for me. I have a few reasons. One reason is caliber availability. I have a .280 AI and there isn't a manufacturer that builds one at least for a lefty. I just ordered a 22 mag from Cooper that may take 2 years to build. When it's done, it will have a 1.5 lb trigger with no over travel, 24 inch barrel, AAA+ Walnut stock, inlaid swivel studs and a few other things. It will be a one of a kind rifle. The only other option for a lefty is Browning T Bolt. Another reason is accuracy. I won't argue off the shelf rifle accuracy with any of you, but my customs are just a little better that the others and I usually do accuracy work to the others like bedding, triggers, lapping, stoning of components, firing pin work etc. A third reason is the fit and feel of a custom. If done right, it should have the proper LOP and cheek weld and it feels awesome when a rifle fits like that. The last reason is options. I could fill up this page listing them so I will just name a few; triggers, stocks, muzzle breaks, colors. I'm not an expert on custom builds, but I have only been disappointed once with a rifle that I had someone build. If you do decide to do a custom, do your homework for a long time. It's easy to get brain damage thinking about what is the best/worst route. Make sure to pick a good gunsmith and listen to them. They build for a living and have learned more than you about what works and what doesn't. A good one will guarantee accuracy.

• Like 1

Yes I have had a few that shot great. Tikka T3 Lite for me. Was like $400 or 450 at the time. Shot just like the pics. I've seen some cheaper end guns shoot really well out around the 500 yard mark. Not sure how they'd do after that but the gun wasn't bought for hunting past that really either or even at that range. And I thought this thread was about cheap rifles not custom?? I don't get the lets compare a $4000 item to a $400 item. The $4000 should shoot better. If it doesn't, you got screwed or you got a gonga deal on the cheaper item.

• Like 1

all rifles should shoot like that regardless of cost. If it doesnt fix it. If you cant try golf.

• Like 2

I have quite a few "cheap" factory guns that shoot .5moa or less. My Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 22-250 is the best shooting gun I own, and will consistently shoot in the .2's, with better results on my good days. Groups do open up at distance, especially if there is any wind, as the bullets it likes have a low BC. While I have had a few groups that stayed in the .2moa range or better out past 400 yards, it usually will open up, but still within a very respectable .5moa. I do have to admit that I have replaced the trigger in each of these rifles and did not go cheap on the glass.