Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Anyone else have "cheap" rifles that shoot stupid accurate?

I need an education please. I'm 70 years old and been shooting and handloading since I was 15. My academic background is mathematics (geometry). I'm admittedly not a long range shooter and have owned many rifles and only one custom which was willed to me by a good buddy that passed so it was not built for me.

Some on this thread have implied that a factory rifle may shoot fine at 200 yards but not at 600 or 800, whereas a custom rifle will hold groups out to those distances. Can someone please explain the science behind such? If I have a factory rifle that shoots .5moa (or .2 or .3 whatever) at 200 with load X and a custom rifle that shoots .5moa (or .2 or .3 or whatever) at 200 with load X, why would the custom do better at 600? In my mind, the trajectory of each projectile is established by 200 yards and beyond that the wind, etc will affect both the same way. The bullet does not know what rifle fired it and the path is established. The bullet was clearly well stabilized by the twist of each rifle or it would not shoot at 200 so twist is not a factor.

I'm serious and hope to learn why between 200 and 600 or 800 etc. the path of the bullet would differ between a cheap rifle and an expensive rifle that both shoot the same size groups at 200.

Thanks, Bruce

My point exactly. If I was building a race car that could run a 9 sec quarter mile, and do it "consistently" for 10 grand. why would I pay 100,000 grand to build a custom car that did a 9 sec quarter mile consistently. I get the Coach purse mentality.... but why???? have yet to hear a good reason... the work truck compared to the new ford work truck? nope. "because I want to...…" nope, does not change my mind at all. I have 4 different rifles (6.5 cm, 270 wsm, 300 wsm, and 300 win) that I have had for years that shoot 1/2 moa at 100-1000, and have for many years... not once but ever time I shoot them IF I DO MY JOB.. No, I don't want to bet you and no I don't want to go to competitions…. I am just saying, other than impressing someone who doesn't care what you paid.... why?

And yet your camo is top of the line out of control expensive!! But there you are wearing them! Why??? I thought you weren't there to impress people how much money you spent when you can buy something for lot cheaper and do the job!!! ------hmmmm------oh wait maybe you like the design, the feel, the light weight, a hand down, a gift etc etc etc. Or maybe--------you just wanted it. Why do you say why??? People just like to have it because they can!! There is your answer its been said in all 5 pages so far! If you can't come to grips that they want it and you don't, there is no explaining this any further.

Zeke, that is a heck of a lot of exclamation marks! Are you ok?

Ruger Predator , shoots unbelievable since I fixed a few things . Out of 5 custom rifles , by great gunsmiths , this gun hits same target at 800 just the same . Go figure , after spending $10,000 on other ego guns . My walmart fashion camo on clearance , has done very well , next to my friends Scottsdale camo and Louis Vuitton hunting boots . Yes I love my custom rifles and I will never get the money back , but there mine . I tell my friends all the time , when they brag about there customs and how they shoot . You want to shoot for pink slips on your rifle , against my $400.00 Ruger . I get a big No !

• Like 1

wearing jeans and using a factory remington 700 out of spite this year.

Me too!!!! no good glass, no high end boots, no camo that did not come from goodwill... (not sure what the heck that had to do with rifles) going to trade my truck in on a 1986 toyota also.

ps this post got a little crazy for me..

Ruger Predator , shoots unbelievable since I fixed a few things . Out of 5 custom rifles , by great gunsmiths , this gun hits same target at 800 just the same . Go figure , after spending $10,000 on other ego guns . My walmart fashion camo on clearance , has done very well , next to my friends Scottsdale camo and Louis Vuitton hunting boots . Yes I love my custom rifles and I will never get the money back , but there mine . I tell my friends all the time , when they brag about there customs and how they shoot . You want to shoot for pink slips on your rifle , against my $400.00 Ruger . I get a big No !

^

I need an education please. I'm 70 years old and been shooting and handloading since I was 15. My academic background is mathematics (geometry). I'm admittedly not a long range shooter and have owned many rifles and only one custom which was willed to me by a good buddy that passed so it was not built for me.

Some on this thread have implied that a factory rifle may shoot fine at 200 yards but not at 600 or 800, whereas a custom rifle will hold groups out to those distances. Can someone please explain the science behind such? If I have a factory rifle that shoots .5moa (or .2 or .3 whatever) at 200 with load X and a custom rifle that shoots .5moa (or .2 or .3 or whatever) at 200 with load X, why would the custom do better at 600? In my mind, the trajectory of each projectile is established by 200 yards and beyond that the wind, etc will affect both the same way. The bullet does not know what rifle fired it and the path is established. The bullet was clearly well stabilized by the twist of each rifle or it would not shoot at 200 so twist is not a factor.

I'm serious and hope to learn why between 200 and 600 or 800 etc. the path of the bullet would differ between a cheap rifle and an expensive rifle that both shoot the same size groups at 200.

Thanks, Bruce

My point exactly. If I was building a race car that could run a 9 sec quarter mile, and do it "consistently" for 10 grand. why would I pay 100,000 grand to build a custom car that did a 9 sec quarter mile consistently. I get the Coach purse mentality.... but why???? have yet to hear a good reason... the work truck compared to the new ford work truck? nope. "because I want to...…" nope, does not change my mind at all. I have 4 different rifles (6.5 cm, 270 wsm, 300 wsm, and 300 win) that I have had for years that shoot 1/2 moa at 100-1000, and have for many years... not once but ever time I shoot them IF I DO MY JOB.. No, I don't want to bet you and no I don't want to go to competitions…. I am just saying, other than impressing someone who doesn't care what you paid.... why?

And yet your camo is top of the line out of control expensive!! But there you are wearing them! Why??? I thought you weren't there to impress people how much money you spent when you can buy something for lot cheaper and do the job!!! ------hmmmm------oh wait maybe you like the design, the feel, the light weight, a hand down, a gift etc etc etc. Or maybe--------you just wanted it. Why do you say why??? People just like to have it because they can!! There is your answer its been said in all 5 pages so far! If you can't come to grips that they want it and you don't, there is no explaining this any further.

Zeke, that is a heck of a lot of exclamation marks! Are you ok?

NO!!! Im trying to figure out why you even asked the question because you clearly don't want to know that people have different taste then you. Sounds like you wanted to complain about a pet peeve you have and wanted to see how many people agree with you. Should of started off with, how many people see it my way? And left it at that :)

• Like 1

I actually do probably 80-90% of my hunting with a completly factory rifle (with the exception of installing a trigger), but it does have a really good scope on it.

My AR rides around with me about 60% of the time while I am working. And since I am ALWAYS coyote hunting, those hours add up quick over the year. I guess that means 80-90% of my hunting is done in jeans and qorkboots too...

• Like 2

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce I am in complete agreement with you. These guys don't believe in science and can't give you a valid argument or an explanation, All they are going to do is make silly comments and say your question isn't worth answering or their 6.5 super just improves with distance. lot of poppycock on here.

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce I am in complete agreement with you. These guys don't believe in science and can't give you a valid argument or an explanation, All they are going to do is make silly comments and say your question isn't worth answering or their 6.5 super just improves with distance. lot of poppycock on here.

Dan

Looks like a couple guys gave some pretty good feedback to his question. As always, your sh!t comments bring no value to the conversation. Instead of picking fights maybe try contributing something useful.

• Like 2

Thanks, Bruce

Dan

Looks like a couple guys gave some pretty good feedback to his question. As always, your sh!t comments bring no value to the conversation. Instead of picking fights maybe try contributing something useful.

BUT he clicked liked on his own comment thought :)

• Like 1

I actually do probably 80-90% of my hunting with a completly factory rifle (with the exception of installing a trigger), but it does have a really good scope on it.

My AR rides around with me about 60% of the time while I am working. And since I am ALWAYS coyote hunting, those hours add up quick over the year. I guess that means 80-90% of my hunting is done in jeans and qorkboots too...

I always take my AR with me for the same reason... accept for last week. And wouldnt you know it. A coyote stood there looking at me at 60 yards. Grazed his back hairs with my XD40.

• Like 2

I always take my AR with me for the same reason... accept for last week. And wouldnt you know it. A coyote stood there looking at me at 60 yards. Grazed his back hairs with my XD40.

Don't you guys have to make up a report if you fire your weapon at all? I'm not sure, I thought I heard that once.

Don't you guys have to make up a report if you fire your weapon at all? I'm not sure, I thought I heard that once.

Off duty and personally owned sidearm.