Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Anyone else have "cheap" rifles that shoot stupid accurate?

i have a savage axis in .308 with a cheap vortex on it that is an absolute tack driver. I got lucky on my first load with 168gn balistic tips. I have another savage (model 11 i think) that I got second hand with a cheap leopuld scope thats even more of a tack driver with 95 grain sst. Both guns shoot dime size groups at 200 yards.

big-3-novelty-1965-roosevelt-dime-metal-
  • Like 5

I got a savage 270 wIth a muzzle break, 22x Simons 44 mag scope, cut the stock off and install soft recoil pad for the kids, it hits everything they shoot at , from pigs to elk, beet up but the best most accurate kids gun I ever seen. Now the grand kids are starting to use it this year.

• Like 2

Bench rest shooters, long range shooters , etc. all push the envelope. The average shooter benefits from their attempts to improve the status quo. Manufacturers adopt proven technology that evolves from their exploits. I say kudos to those who spend/build the next generation of rifle. We all benefit. Although I don't dabble in the custom arena, I appreciate those who do.

• Like 2

in 1994 i picked up a win m70 push feed carbine at jeff serdies' shop in AJ. my first .257 roberts. bought a lee loader for it that jeff had in the case. that summer i loaded many lethal rounds around the campfires in prairie dog country from chevelon butte to the navajo nation. never took it to rio salado until '95 when i started reloading on a press. that $275 rifle would always put 3 rounds of handloaded 75gr hornady hp or 85gr bt into .750 or better. a shop owner i new found out i had a roberts and gave me a bunch of factory ammo-ww, fed supreme, rem peters in full boxes. made appropriate bang noise but would not shoot into 6". stolen in '98 never got it back.

lee

Some fantastic input here! And trust me, I get it....but actually I don't get it. I stretch all 4 of my cheap rifles out to 1000 and everything in between. I reload for all of them, (6.5CM, 270WSM, 300 WSM, and 300 Win) and I personally have an easier time holding inside 1/2 MOA at 600 than I do consistantly at 100.. That being said my point remains. If I could not get these rifles to perform I would absolutely build a custom, and probably really enjoy it. However, I still find myself debating with friends about WHY? I get the fine wine type of analogies, but if the performance is there, not once but consistently for 5-10 years with some of these rifles

WHY??$$??

Good hunting and good shooting to all.

Whitey

• Like 2

Lionhunter,

If you can shoot a 1/2" at 600, you may be the best shooter ive heard about. Congratulations! That's tough to do. Have you thought about competing?

• Like 1

Some fantastic input here! And trust me, I get it....but actually I don't get it. I stretch all 4 of my cheap rifles out to 1000 and everything in between. I reload for all of them, (6.5CM, 270WSM, 300 WSM, and 300 Win) and I personally have an easier time holding inside 1/2 at 600 than I do consistantly at 100.. That being said my point remains. If I could not get these rifles to perform I would absolutely build a custom, and probably really enjoy it. However, I still find myself debating with friends about WHY? I get the fine wine type of analogies, but if the performance is there, not once but consistently for 5-10 years with some of these rifles

WHY??$$??

Good hunting and good shooting to all.

Whitey

Because I want to use a custom rifle.

At the end of the day that's what it comes down to.

• Like 1

Lionhunter,

If you can shoot a 1/2" at 600, you may be the best shooter ive heard about. Congratulations! That's tough to do. Have you thought about competing?

That's funny... 1/2 MOA not 1/2 inch.

• Like 3

Lionhunter,

That's funny... 1/2 MOA not 1/2 inch.

That's still good. You should compete. Especially if it's easier to hold inside a 1/2 moa at 600 than 100 with a production rifle. Most people can't do that.

I've got a couple factory rifles that with a trigger job are good killing machines at say 400+/-... but all my custom rifles are 1/2 MOA at a 1000yds (or better)... It is all in the details from 500-1000 yds, IMHO....

• Like 2

I would love to see these guys go to a mid range or long range competition. Most of the ranges have events every month. If a shooter can shoot 1/2 MOA they are a shoe in to be the next national champion, national record holder and world record holder. Congrats to all!!!!!!!! That is some stiff shooting. Now the shoots that I've been too even the really, really national caliber shooters (which we have in PHX) don't hold MOA let alone 1/2 MOA at the mid range distances of lets say 500-600 yards. Back out to 800 - 1000 yards and if you could just hold an MOA group all day long.......again you would be a for sure national champion. Very, very, very few people can hold a MOA group for a 20 round string at a distance over 500 yards.

There are a ton of variables that will change the point of impact of a bullet by an MOA or more.

The reason for a custom gun is to get exactly what you want. Consistency is also another reason for a custom gun. I've seen the cheaper guns shoot great for 3 shots or maybe 5 shots. But then there is a group that isn't quite as good. Opps...... It happens. Heck I've got a few of the cheaper guns that I love and hunt with frequently. To be honest. The cheap guns (or any gun that will hold MOA) is more accurate than 99% of the hunts need. After 500 yards 99% of the hunters have no business pulling the trigger on a critter. There are to many variables that will change the point of impact and most hunters don't practice enough to know how their gun shoots at different distances and conditions.

BTW - my gun is currently getting chambered in 6.5 X 284 in a #3 contour stainless steel Brux barrel at 22" in length with a throat long enough to accept a longer bullet like the berger or Nosler accubond LR bullets. Chambering is done by a benchrest quality gun smith here in PHX. You can't always get the specs you want with a store bought gun.

• Like 3

A friend of mine was having a conversation with none other than Lones Wigger, he was telling Wiggs how well his gun shot(.22 custom), Wigger finally said to him, I don't think your gun shoots that well, or I would have heard of you! I believe someone stated in an old thread that they would bet 1000.00 on one shot at a thousand with steel the size of a Coues heart lung area. I don't think there was any takers.