87lc

Archery lessons?

Getting into archery, an early archery bull tag will do that. Just kind of looking for tips on what I am doing right or wrong. Anybody know someone that can help me out. I just purchased a bow and have been shooting in my backyard.

If you're in north valley try Gary Sheldon 602.339.8343 at Arizona Archery Club, right across street from Deer Valley airport.

He posted at the right place. He now knows everything that he needs from experts. But, he forgot to ask for honey holes and how to get with range of a Elk. LOL

Come on guys, give me some credit, I've had a bow for a few years, nothing special. I got drawn for archery bull and decided I need to step it up a notch and do some serious practice. I went and got a new bow and have started shooting pretty much every day in my back yard.

My problem is I feel like I pull to the left, a lot. I just don't want to be teaching myself something wrong. I'm in Mesa

• Like 6

Come up to Prescott. First we'll make sure your bow is tuned. Then I'll take you to the range and give you lessons... we'll fix that shooting left problem. Ed F

• Like 2

I think we gave you credit but your opening statement said you were getting into archery because you drew a tag. If you are shooting left I would guess you are dropping your arm when you release or your bow is tilted before the shot use a sight that has a level and it will help you correct your shooting form. Try to concentrate on your follow thru your bow should rotate forward upon release and like any other action form your arm should stay put and your release should almost surprise you.

Your best bet around here anymore is to just go to the closest archery shop to you and ask there. There are to many professional hunters on here to give you any beginner advice on archery. They have been shooting so long and so much that they forgot what is was like to learn. There are still a few good guys on here but they do not post as much as the pro's.

Take up Ed's offer in prescott if you are near him. He has some good hunts under his belt with a bow and I am sure he could get you going. Arizona Archery club is a great place with some good instructors in the North Valley. Ross archery in central phoenix has some knowledgeable guys working there who could surely help as well. Good luck on your elk hunt.

Archery headquarters is in mesa. It could be dropping your arm, improper grip causing bow torque. At least your trying to become a better shooter. We were all there. Good luck on your hunt. What unit? We will be in 5bsouth.

Sounds like to me as stated above your dropping your arm. Anticipating your shot placement (trying to watch the arrow) a well executed shot should disappear in your pin when the bow goes off. You get that to happen your in the $$$. Other thing is make sure your not applying to much palm pressure and preloading your riser. Keep an eye on you bow level.

Don't worry about the noise here, just take it all with a grain of salt.

Agreed on the archery shop, have someone watch you while you shoot. Other thing you could you do is record your shooting and checkout sites like ArcheryTalk. There are some good guys that could help on there as well.

I've been shooting for years and just made a change to my grip this past summer. I'm still working through it that at this point and by sept I should be good to go.

I wouldn't be to quick to discredit the " noise" there is a lot of solid info to help the OP get started off in the right direction. I'll agree there is nothing like working with someone 1 on 1, and or video taping one's self and asking is great as well. But you cant discredit the good input stated above. I'm sure a lot of people on here including myself have extensive archery knowledge and are more than willing to share whatever info we can to help people be more successful and confident in the field. As for myself I'm not going to pretend I know jack about rifles because I really don't still learning as I go. But like the OP by reading and listening I'm learning. A lot of the info given should help him if he's not able to get to a archery shop or find someone to help. Worst case watch some video's read a few magazines every little bit can help. I'm more than willing to help with whatever I can, id rather try and help the guy and better his chances then him be out there flinging arrows and loosing a animal or 2.

Haha sorry for the misunderstanding there. I was referring to noise as in the few fellas trying to disparage him for asking for help.

Not trying to discredit any of the suggestions of help offered up bbn on the thread.

• Like 1

You can find certified archery coaches at this website, just search for Arizona and you probably want someone that is a level 3 coach. Most of the higher levels are Olympic level archery and level 1 is usually students. Level 2 also has many bowhunters in its ranks.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-archery/judges-and-coaches/coaches/usa-archery-coach-locator