Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Turkeys in the Chirichaua's in 1966?

I watched some old 28mm home movies made by my late Uncle, he's chasing turkeys down a road with his new Buick Electra.

I thought turkeys were hunted to extinction, then reintroduced in recent years?

Pretty cool to watch these, some go back to 1955, when I was 2.

• Like 1

Neat stuff. would like to here more or see some footage. Have You talked to Game & Fish about it? Thanks........ Bob!

• Like 1

I've heard a bunch of stories from different guys about them seeing random turkeys in the chiricahuas throughout the 90's. Not sure if they were goulds or Merriam's but I've heard too many stories from different people for at least some of them to not be true.

• Like 1

I saw some turkey tracks in the middle of the desert right by the border, about 20 miles west of the Babos about a year ago.

I saw some turkey tracks in the middle of the desert right by the border, about 20 miles west of the Babos about a year ago.

Rez turkeys...totally different species. Man they have everything on that rez if they'd only start managing the game and issuing some non-tribal tags they could do very well.

Rez turkeys...totally different species. Man they have everything on that rez if they'd only start managing the game and issuing some non-tribal tags they could do very well.

I'd pay a really really shiny pretty penny to Predator call here for a weekend!

• Like 2

In the late eighties and early nineties there were a few Merriams in the Chirachuas. My very first turkey tag in AZ was there. Saw and called in one jake.

I take it they all died off ! ..................BOB!